Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 446 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 497 reviews
on May 21, 2014
I can't give this thing a drop in stars because it isn't way better than the last few Generations of Intel. It performs very solid and Overclocks very easily. I will always cherish the memory of my 2600k.. but at least this is a worthy replacement. You can see in the benchmarks that this baby shines faster than it's predecessors. Yes, I actually screenshot old benchmarks from my previous CPUs and I have the facts. If you ran an SSD with a decent motherboard and your previous processors, you won't notice much of a difference except in Benchmarks. Maybe next gen Intel will show more difference. I just upgraded because I had the cash and I like to have the newest things. If you have the money, go for it. If you have to save up for a few months.. save your money for the next gen NVidia graphics card line or an upgrade to solid state storage. That will be your next big noticeable bump in performance.
on July 19, 2014
Intel is the way to go. I have been an AMD fan boy for all of my life. Going through college I was poor and price was more of a factor in my decision to go with AMD. I assumed the competition between AMD and Intel was overblown and that their chips were similar. Boy, was I wrong.

I replaced my AMD Phenom 4-core 4.0 Ghz processor with this i7. There was a world of difference. I don't do a lot of gaming but I have some experience with video conversion which I used both processors on to test. When I would convert a video file to a different format with the AMD processor, it would max out it's usage to 99% which meant if I did anything else while it was converting that it would overload the processor and blue screen of death me. With the Intel processor, video conversion only takes up about 20% usage and, if I were to estimate, I would say that it converts the videos roughly 33% faster, maybe more. This is great because it allows me to do other things on my computer while I'm converting the video files without blowing it up.

Yes, Intel is going to cost you quite a bit more money for "less" processing power. In my personal opinion, it is well worth the extra money. These processors are much faster than AMD. The point of this review isn't to dog AMD because they give you excellent processing power at an affordable price. I have nothing against them. However, if money isn't tight and you have a little extra that you don't mind spending, go with an Intel processor, especially if you'll be using it for gaming or video editing/conversion.
on April 23, 2014
I recently ordered this CPU for my new rig I was building and always seem to get great things from Amazon and Intel. Intel never ceases to amaze me with they're great performing CPU's. I upgraded from an AMD 8350 which was a very very beast CPU but had to try the forbidden fruit of Intel's Haswell line of CPU's. It overclocked to a stable 4.5 with no issues what so ever, I gained about 25FPS-30FPS in all games for the most part and my computer just runs smooth with 0 issues. That's the key here is I have not had a single hiccup or crash yet!

Pros:

- Runs Cooler than my previous CPU. I was around 40c idle and 60c under full load with the 8350 even with my Liquid setup.
The Intel runs 28c idle and 51c-52c under full load, so not a huge difference but honestly cooler is better.

- I gained alot of FPS and over all Smoothness with upgrading to this CPU, now I didn't have the best motherboard money could buy with my AMD but it wasn't the lowest. With the Intel I made sure I spent a good amount on the Mobo and its made a huge difference from what I could tell.

- I almost doubled my Benchmark scores from the previous AMD CPU which blew my mind, I was worried that upgrading to this and spending $280 on a new CPU and $200 on my Mobo that the performance difference would not be worth it. Well I was wrong cause its night and Day, no offense to AMD cause I still love the hell out of AMD. They are still great if you don't have the money to dish out on an Intel setup.

Cons:

- These CPU's are expensive and if you want the best performance then you will want to buy a top of the line Motherboard to go along with it. So just that alone can cost you $500+
- Non that I can think of at the moment besides the money side of things, Like I have said before its been perfect the whole time with no issues other than my wallet was a bit lighter after the purchase. :)

Specs on the Build I put together:

Intel 4770k i7 3.5Mhz OC @ 4.5Mhz
MSI GD65 Z87 Gaming Motherboard
G.Skill 8gb 2x4gb sticks @ 12800 / 1600Mhz
Nvidia GTX 680 2gb SuperClocked Edition (Already had this)
PNY Signature 120gb SSD
WD Blue 500gb HD @ 7200rpm
Avermedia Live Gamer HD - Capture Card
EVGA 650w Gold Rated PSU
Fractal Design - Define R4 (non-windowed) Case
(BTW Best case on the Market!)
on December 30, 2013
Works great, using it in a hackintosh(Gigabyte ga-z87mx-d3h) build, idles like my 4800MQ 15.6" notebook, around 28-30C. I haven't stressed it yet, but I paired it with a HyperEvo 212+ cooler rather than the useless stock HS/fan in a Corsair Carbide 300R case.

I haven't stressed it yet, but will try to remember high temps when stressed, running with Patriot Viper 1600 DDR3 DIMMs (2x8GB).

[EDIT]
Prime95 under OSX:
pretty well stabilizes w/a Hyper 212+ @ 60-63 w/an occasional BRIEF spike to ~69C.

Stock HSF is UTTERLY useless people, replace with ALMOST ANYTHING else, i.e. order CPU with some sort of better aftermarket cooler.

A 212 Evo w/3930k works about as well for me, although it idles at a bit higher temps, mid 30C range stock(3.2GHz), 40C range overclocked to 3.9GHz.

The Haswell build is MUCH quieter than my 3930k build, however there are more/larger case fans, higher cap PSU w/equivalent fans, etc. so that was expected. I'm still leery of liquid cooling as I FEAR leakages.
[/EDIT]
on May 18, 2014
I will update my review after I receive my processor but I wanted to "Review" Amazon customer service. If you are like me you want this processor at the lowest price and Amazon often has it for close to the lowest. Occasionally it will drop its price like today (18 May) to a really good price $299. Well if you are like me and bought it a short time ago (I believe the rule is 30 days) for a higher price just call them up and ask for a refund of the difference. I used "My Account" help, contact us, and call me... when they called me, I said I wanted a refund of the difference, she said hold on one second, came back a short time later and said it has been processed. Total time 2 Minutes and 33 Seconds!!! It was only $20 but I expected to be on hold longer than two and a half minutes!

Good job customer service, if the chip is as good as that I will take over the world!
on December 31, 2013
This i7-4770k was the core of my first computer build - so I was ignorant what to expect. I did an external build first to test the motherboard, RAM and processor - everything worked fine but the Intel processor fan above the processor (that came from Intel with the chip). it would not spin without a "push start" and was noisy when it did spin. So I did some reading on Intel processor fans and some reviewers said they were junk - and based on my limited experience I had to agree. I decided to purchase an after market Master Cooler processor fan to replace the stock Intel fan. As I removed the stock Intel processor fan from the motherboard was where I learned my processor fan lesson - look closely at the fan wires. Intel had clipped the wire for the fan's power so tightly to the perimeter of the fan's plastic exterior that it impeded the fan's ability to spin and caused the noise. Intel gives sufficient fan wire length so there was no need for it to be so tight around the fan's perimeter and as soon as I made the wires longer and away from the fan it started quickly and quietly. But I had already taken the time and spent $35 on the Master Cooler fan, so I installed it anyway rather than taking more time to return it. The Master Cooler processor fan (212 Evo) was much bigger than the stock fan but still incredibly quiet.
on May 11, 2017
A great 4th-generation CPU mated with my Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI Mini-ITX motherboard. Excellent performance, and the 84-watt TDP is handled by my small Noctua NH-Li9 CPU cooler with no thermal problems. CPU benchmarks returned by Geekbench 3 compare equal to or better than all other 4-core CPUs on published sites.
This processor rocks! I needed something for gaming but also wanted something that would serve well for rendering and graphic arts. This is where the 4770K really excels. Being unlocked for overclocking is always a plus, however its hyper threading ability and my graphic art needs mated perfectly. This Processors is a powerful gem. I truly feel this is one of the best procs you can get for the money.
on February 19, 2015
There isn't much to say about the CPU but below are my thoughts:

Pro's:
1) Very easy to install
2) Very powerful for the money and easily handled every stress test I could come up with
3) Overclocking is a snap and the CPU remains stable even when overclocked
4) The 4 cores contain Hyper-threading meaning each core is technically two individual cores

Con's:
1) Can get to 40+C when heavily loaded, even with a lot of fans and copper heat sinks attached. This relates to the CPU pulling a lot of power and in turn diminishes the overall life of the CPU but this only happens when I tax the CPU to it's max.

In the end, this CPU is rock solid but only buy it when it goes on sale. Also, when buying, make sure this CPU socket will fit your motherboard socket.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2013
I originally went from a I7 4770 unlocked version, not too much of a difference other than this K version being unlocked.

I have had 1 chip that went defective and before would not overclock very far..would get no more than 4.0 ghz....
This one gets to 4.3 under 1.8volts

Encoding a 2-3 hour HD video takes less than 30 minutes to complete..also coupled with 1600hmz of DDR3 ram.
Also teamed with a Sapphire Radeon 7970, the only AMD products I am interested in is there graphic cards.

I can't really tell how it performs for games as everything is normally on the GPU,
But I do get 80+ FPS on Battlefield 4 which is really the only extensive CPU game I play.
Dolphin Emulator for WII does run at 100% and is VERY CPU dependent.
I have had a few AMD FX processors and even overclocked they only managed to run Dolphin Emulator games
at around 70-90%..This processor runs Dolphin at 98-100% speed, not even overclocked.

Temperature is very high however..stock fan is useless.. I use the Cooler Master EVO and at load using prime 95 temperatures range from 80 to 92.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse