Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 91 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 100 reviews
on December 31, 2013
This is a very fast processor that can handle multiple programs simultaneously with ease. It is, however, significantly more expensive than CPUs that have less cores but those cores of which are just as fast; e.g. the cores of the 4770K are comparable in speed, the difference is that the 4770K has four cores while the 4930K has six. Caution, if it is not your habit to either have many things going on at once (multiple tabs in Chrome don't count) OR use video/audio/designer editing software, the performance boost of multiple cores is relatively trivial compared to the performance of a CPU with cores of the same speed, just fewer cores; e.g. the 4770K. That all being said, this CPU won't disappoint you, and if you plan to keep it for a long time, the (for most people) current overkill of six cores will let your system age better as more programs (especially cutting edge games) are coded for the use of multiple cores. But one more disclaimer: If you see yourself doing more and more things over web browsers as opposed to software installed on your computer, you'll probably get better overall performance by going with something like the 4770K and using the money saved for more RAM (to better handle all those Chrome tabs).
1111 comments| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2015
It only loses a star because overclocking this CPU is a bit more delicate than say the 3930k, which is a overclocking juggernaut. overclocking this requires a bit higher voltage than normal and usually can only overclock to a stable 4.4-4.5ghz tops. the 8 core is nice if you're a heavy multitasker but the extra cores aren't really anything special if youre a gamer.
on November 29, 2013
Very fast CPU. I was able to hit "only" 4.5 GHz overclocked with water at 1.320 v on a Rampage IV Gene with 32GB of ram running at 2333 mhz making it faster than any stock CPU with 6 cores to date. I also increased the BCLK to 125 from 100 and was able to attain an additional 20GB/s in memory write, currently at 64GB/s READ and 66 GB/s WRITE with a memory latency of 54ns. I keep the CPU at full speed (no TurboBoost), and she idles at 25c, average load temps 30-45c, prime95/ibt under 63c. While the IB-E cpu has more memory bandwidth, the newer haswell 4770K could give more performance clock for clock and if 4 cores is all that is needed (games), but this wins for multi-threaded desktop cpu performance with it's 6-core count. Particular CPU had a high VID of 1.27v but jumped 1.1 GHz extra with very little voltage increase. Chip overclockability are all luck of draw, I consider my chip to be middle ground
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2016
I bought this in November 2013. I did not install and use it until winter of 2014. So this is a review with 2 years of usage of the product. This is one of the best processors I've ever had. It's incredibly fast, and is more than enough for gaming on maximum settings. I can load intensive games like future-era huge maps in Civilization 5, Skyrim running with over a hundred mods, a 1000-year game on a 1000-star galaxy with max civilizations in Stellaris, pretty much anything. I can run Firefox with multiple tabs including streaming AND downloading while having multiple VoIP programs like Discord and Teamspeak and Uplay running with the Division, and I get no lag at all. Keep in mind, I have a 980 GTX and 16 GB of Ram as well as a high end SSD.

I highly recommend this processor, especially now that it's getting cheaper.
on May 14, 2015
I upgraded to this from the i7-4820K.

This has been running my computer for 2 years with plenty of horsepower to spare. I run multiple monitors and a TV from my PC, I do use AutoCad and Revit all the time while listening to Pandora, watching youtube, and browsing the web, and searching google, and checking email, and watching a movie... and I have never once had an issue doing all of these things at once. THIS IS A BEAST!!

It also overclocks quiet well... though I run it stock and have never needed anymore power.
on March 1, 2014
After running my studio DAW for the last 6 years, I decided it was time to step it up. After MUCH research, I decided to go with this six core processor namely for its video rendering capabilities... Paired it with 64gb corsair dominator pro ram, asus p79e-ws motherboard. Painless build, did a mild overclock with the asus, benchmarked 4065 single core,24441 multicore. HANDS DOWN the fastest computer ive ever touched, let alone built. Lightning fast AE and Vegas renders. Couldn't be happier. This processor is amazing.
on February 13, 2014
Couldn't be happier.
I saw a few complaints surrounding the fact that this CPU doesn't ship with a heatsink/fan; if you're going to spend $500+ on a processor it blows my mind you would want to go with a stock cooling option anyways.
In the Asus AI Suite II this CPU registers with 12 cores (obviously because of hyperthreading), i slightly overclocked mine to 4.2 GHz but its clear on the forums you could push that well over 5 GHz.
This processor is a pin-less design which i quite liked.

HEADS UP: My motherboard requires a Bios update in order to boot with this CPU, its so easy now i literally have a "Bios Flash button" and a specific USB port with which to load the new version. The motherboard im using is the ASUS P9X79 WS, took all of 20 mins to update and get back on track.
on October 16, 2014
There's only one processor (at Oct. 2014) for the Intel 2011 socket that's better than this one, at twice the money for "maybe" 5% - 10% more speed IF you have the dedicated software that would use it, AND if you had the other hardware necessities to SEE that 5-10%. You won't. If you want or need 64Gb RAM (as I did), this is the best bang for the buck (6 core) processor on the planet. Save the $600 of the 8 core and put it into a Samsung 850 Pro SSD. I did. Awesome. 15 seconds to boot Windows 7 Ultimate.
on January 6, 2015
What can you say, its a beast. Its just a shame that it costs so much but its understandable.

If you don't require 3-way SLI, look in to a 5820k build. Just need DDR4 pricing to come down. The chip is $200 cheaper but it only has enough PCI lanes to support 2 card SLI at 16x.

This chip runs hot! Be prepared to get a good cooler. I run a corsair H80i and H100i on builds with this chip and just poking around the desktop right after bootup it runs between 35-40c, without really doing anything.
on May 18, 2015
This is the processor I put in my gaming rig. So far, it's handled every game that I've installed with ease, which, given what I paid for it, it should.