Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Fergie Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 69 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 91 reviews
on February 20, 2010
I was an Air Force military intelligence officer in the late 1990s. I've been working in computer security since then. I read Intelligence, 4th Ed (I4E) to determine if I could recommend this book to those who doubt or don't understand the US intelligence community (IC). I am very pleased to say that I4E is an excellent book for those with little to no intelligence experience. I also found I4E to be a great way to catch up on changes in the IC, particularly since Congress passed the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA).

Mark Lowenthal struck me as an author who really understands the IC. When I read his descriptions of MASINT not being appreciated (p 96), the institutional bias against open source intelligence (p 105), and related cultural issues, I thought he offered a view of the IC not found in other sources. His explanations of friction between agencies, between various Congressional oversight committees, and between branches of government were very enlightening. The interests and bias of each party were interesting; for example, Congress (like Chief Information or Technology Officers) likes to buy new tech (satellites, etc.) instead of investing in analysts! I appreciated his description of the importance of Congressional authorizers vs appropriators, and how those duties affect the IC budget.

I4E really frames IC issues in a way that makes sense to the reader. For example, p 2 says "Intelligence agencies exist for at least four major reasons: to avoid strategic surprise; to provide long-term expertise; to support the policy process; and to maintain the secrecy of information, needs, and methods." He explains that while Pearl Harbor was a strategic surprise, 9/11 was a tactical surprise. On p 1 he explains that "Intelligence refers to information that meets the stated or understood needs of policy makers and has been collected, processed, and narrowed to meet those needs. Intelligence is a subset of the broader category of information; not all information is intelligence." In Ch 4 he describes the seven phases of the intelligence process as 1) identifying requirements, 2) collection, 3) processing and exploitation, 4) analysis and production, 5) dissemination, 6) consumption, and 7) feedback.

He emphasizes that professional intelligence officers do not offer policy recommendations. The two questions one must ask of new intelligence officers are 1) do they think interesting thoughts and 2) do they write well (pp 118-119). Good intelligence is timely, tailored, digestible, and clear, with objectivity assumed (p 147). On p 148 he makes the case that "the 'big things' tend to be the hardest to foresee for the very reason that they run counter to all of that accumulated intelligence," and on p 167 he says government actors tend to have "an inability to use historical examples. Decision makers are so accustomed to concentrating on near-term issues that they tend not to remember accurately past analogous situations in which they have been involved... they learn somewhat false lessons from the past, which are then misapplied to new circumstances." I also liked his discussion of the "capabilities vs intentions" debate, where he differentiates between those who worry about parties because of what they can do, vs those who worry about parties because of what they want to do.

Despite being a book on intelligence, the author manages to transmit a really dry sense of humor -- if you know where to look. For example, p 107 features Table 5-1 comparing advantages and disadvantages of various collection disciplines. SIGINT lists "voluminous material" as an advantage, and "voluminous material" as a disadvantage. Both are true, which is a subtle joke.

Finally, the author shares some really helpful insights regarding the two biggest intelligence issues of the last decade: 9/11 and Iraq's weapons of mass destruction. On pp 310-311 he says the following:

"Both of these events have entered into popular legend as to the mistakes that were made and the necessary fixes. However, a critical examination of the 'received' lessons of these two events... reveals that they are almost diametrically opposed.

- Warning: The lesson of September 11 is to warn as stridently as possible to make sure that policy makers comprehend the gravity of the situation. But the lesson of Iraq WMD is to warn only when you are absolutely certain that the situation is real. You can warn extravagantly or cautiously but not both.

- Information sharing: The lesson of September 11 is that intelligence must be shared broadly across the intelligence community so that necessary connections can be made. But the lesson of Iraq WMD is to be careful and not share information that is dubious, such as the discredited reporting of the human source known as CURVEBALL.

- 'Connect the dots': If we overlook the inappropriate relationship of this phrase to the work of intelligence, for the moment, we see that the lesson of September 11 is the need to connect the dots. But the lesson of Iraq WMD is not to connect too many dots and create a false picture." Well said!

Anyone interested in learning about the IC and how professional intelligence officers think and act will enjoy reading I4E. Great work!
on May 30, 2016
This was a book I had to purchase for a class on American intelligence, however I am an avid reader so I will review it more than just as a textbook. I think there is great info here as this book did verse me in the intelligence process, but only with great repetition. This book doesn't claim to be an "intro" in its title, nor should it be assumed to be. There are so many organizations and in turn, abbreviations, in this book it takes a great effort to get acquainted with everything. I also feel about 1/4 of the material could be reduced as many times I felt like the author was exhausting a topic unnecessarily.

As a side note, the author claims he wrote with permission of the US Government as to not compromise them or be incorrect in his material - I can't remember what he said exactly, but along the lines of the government approved his book. Now I'm not conspiratorial, but I have to wonder how reliable this information is and how much of it is either a form of propaganda or white washed, where I'm reluctant to believe this is a balanced book. It does include "failures of oversights" such as 9-11, but is very tolerant and gentle with America's short comings.

This has some great info, and although not a bad book, I would hope their are better alternatives availible.
on June 8, 2017
I read the book in preparation for a few masters courses in national security and intelligence collection.
My mouth fell open during the read as revelations about intel came to light.
I found the book to be very resourceful in relation to defense and cybersecurity.
on April 8, 2017
at little outdate, but still a very good look on the inside. it is a bit plodgy, so you have to stick to it to enjoy it.
on May 24, 2017
I'm fully satisfied.
on August 14, 2017
good
on July 13, 2016
I used this book for school. It was pretty decent.
on February 16, 2016
The book was missing about 55 pages in the middle so I didn't notice it until I had to read that portion for a class I was taking. Disappointing and clearly some poor quality bootleg. Had the all the pages been there, I would have had no complaint, as the remainder of the book was in good condition.
on October 19, 2015
This book is a classic, although the day the new edition is released it is out of date... things change so fast! This book is like a text book on intelligence, it gives a pretty good overview of what intelligence is, how it is obtained and how it is used. This is just the tip of the iceberg.
on November 12, 2016
This is a great book, the author has truly lived up to their reputation as an intelligence professional. This book should be mandatory reading for those considering this line of work.