Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 85 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 118 reviews
on March 9, 2011
While I really like the contents, valuable just like any other textbook, I have few quibbles about the Kindle version. I bought this as a refresher in preparation for sitting for the CPA exam as I don't want to be carrying thick and heavy volumes. I give this book 5 stars for its substance and coverage over look. I really like the IFRS comparisons. There are some things that are really irritating.

Here are the downsides for the Kindle version of this textbook:

1. Skimpy graphics, uniform font. There are illustrations but reading through chapters is short of reading a novel. I had wished that the Kindle version is the exact same aesthetics as the printed one, more like a PDF only that it is proprietary Kindle file. The publisher could have at least changed the typefaces and their sizes here and there to add emphasis, and make them proportional as you size the overall look in Kindle's settings (The Kindle makes typeface changes universal for an entire content of any book). The only thing I see are bold, italics, underline and bullets and some illustrations.

While I do know that colors have different shades of gray when converted to Kindle, the publisher could have at least use some lighter shades to emphasize, split a topic or section, or add visual appeal.

I just hope in the next Kindle edition, the book would look more natural and magazine-like even in black and white.

2. Portions of text such as: "Q1, p.3" and "Q2, p.3". What do these mean? There is not even a link to click on. It looked more like an important part had been omitted in e-book conversion process.

It may be worthwhile to buy the textbook which I am considering to do. Can I return the Kindle version of this textbook?
review image review image review image
on August 25, 2011
I called ahead of time to be sure that the connect code was available with the book. I called ahead of time because I read a customer review I stating "Connect Code Missing".

However, when I got the book the connect was missing. My teacher informed me that I could do the homework by hand and turn it in, if I didn't want to purchase the code. Homework by hand, heck no, that would take to much time to write everything out.

Therefore, I called Amazon and the 1st operator instructed me to call McGraw and ask why wasn't a code included. McGraw said "why are you calling here, Amazon is the buyer from us."

I called amazon and the 2nd operator was much nicer than the 1st operator. She said Amazon could reimburse me the charge for the connect code, I found that my college was selling the connect code card for $61.75, Amazon credited my credit card for $61.75.

I am please with the refund, just had to stay on the phone and do a little research which should not be necessary, but it was worth the work to save every penny I can. Thanks Amazon for fixing the problem immediatly.
on October 29, 2013
I like this book, detailed and logical.

I was an English BA and now on a economics MS. This book helps me build understanding with accounting principles from the fundamental accounting skills and I would like to read it through for second time. Indeed helpful tips provided.

The questions on the books are set from the real-life perspective and it helps you read into the financial reports, which is challenging and also rewarding job.

For shortcomings, I expect more of the parts focus on intermediate level other than the restatement of preliminary level. Although frustrating , more challenging real-life questions would be better to added in more details and depth instead.

I love the thickness and depth of this book.
on February 15, 2011
I am not sure who changes the book from print format to Kindle format but it is useless. I wanted it to work. I wanted to save money and carry no huge textbooks. There is no way to find where you need to be. Basic table of contents isn't good enough to navigate. If I read my text books cover to cover this would work but that isn't how it works. You work problems, you look back in the chapter, you flip forward, and you want to know how much more till the end of the chapter. These things aren't really workable with the Kindle edition. I think they could be....but they have a long way to go before Kindle text books will work well.
on May 16, 2012
When I first opened this textbook I could not believe how much material was covered and was a little intimidated at first. This was the required text for me in both Intermediate I and Intermediate II. I mention "required" because I have referred to this textbook for many other classes. I am currently in a graduate accounting program and refer to this book regularly. It covers in detail with both thorough explanations and easy to follow examples of GAAP treatment of accounting issues and provides IFRS explanations as well. This book will serve you well for many years to come, I still consider this a "required" textbook for any accounting class that I take and honestly believe that this is the only textbook that I will never sell back.
on January 5, 2011
I've had other accounting classes and found that the books in those classes take a long time to say what they want to convey, but this book moves smoothly from topic to topic. The IFRS integration sections are very helpful in discerning what the future will look like and the CPA exam questions are very useful. The authors include notes in the margins to highlight important topics, which makes for easy studying for quizzes. All in all, this is a good textbook.
on September 16, 2013
I ordered loose leaf but received hard copy. The seller did credit the differene to my credit. The contents of this book is very good - not too much, not too little. It is just what i need. I graduated with accounting degree 20 years ago and need to refresh my knowledge base. This book provide well organized information and good examples. It is much better than my old textbook.
on March 5, 2012
This book is typically used in FAR I/II/III classes and is staple for anyone looking to move into a career in financial accounting.

After graduating, when I started studying for the CPA, I decided to review this book from cover-to-cover, because it present information a lot more gradually than the CPA and provides a lot of context, which helps you remember stuff better. This book + becker review afterwards = pass FAR CPA test...

And more importantly, it prepares you for a career in accounting.
on June 10, 2011
If you would like to learn accounting, or you are currently taking accounting but cant understand the book, then get this book. I had Theory 1 and the teacher was useless, any other book and I would have failed the class. The authors made the book as plain and simple as can be. I literally was able to teach myself the stuff. I am using the same book for Theory 2 and we need to read the chapter before class, because once he teaches the chapter that day we get a quiz, and I do great.

Kudos to the authors of this book.
on July 8, 2016
This is an excellent product and its everything I was expecting it to be. I am happy with the product and serviced, I have received.