Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 368 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 511 reviews
on September 7, 2015
This text book was not very well put together. The examples are hard to follow, and there are numerous errors, which make understanding it even more difficult.

Purchasing the book was fine. Seller did a good job, but the book itself was not very good.
on September 22, 2014
OK, who really loves an accounting textbook. But to be fair the book explains the subject matter very well, in clear and simple terms. The chapter layout is very clear and well-defined. I would recommend any professor to get it for his or her class.
on April 11, 2017
The book/software worked great, thank you! (The book isn't very fun though)
on March 18, 2017
The book is extremely heavy in weight. Some of the topics are very vague with minimum exercises to codify the information in each chapter
on May 25, 2016
Very Good Book
on November 22, 2015
Arrived as described.
on December 27, 2008
It only covers chapters 1-14 as the other reviews has stated, and is a bit expensive.

However, I got an "A" in my intermediate accounting class, and this guide helped a lot.

It don't replace reading the book, but does give a lot of extra problems and exercises (true/false, and multiple choice) to give more practice and understanding for the test.

I found the solutions to be correct and very few mistakes. When a true/false is false, it gives you the reason why, and on the multiple choice, gives you the reason why the correct choice is correct and why the others are wrong.

The brief review does not begin to cover everything in the chapter, and you will not even be able to complete the exercises/problems with just the chapter review. So, don't feel this will replace the textbook.

If you have the money, I recommend this study guide.
on October 19, 2007
I bought this book, and then immediately returned it. Save yourself the money and buy a columnar pad for about $3! Just another money-making gimmick -- as if they don't make enough from the textbooks and study guides!
on October 17, 2009
The Problem-Solving Survival Guide provides adequate background information (learning objectives) and thorough step-by-step calculations through a variety of scenarios / problems. It also discusses the "why" behind each of the calculations. So while it helps you learn how to approach typical accounting problems, it also tries to solidify your understanding of the concepts.

I found this guide to be exceptionally helpful, especially since my professor provides only check figures as solutions and no explanation of the intermediate calculations. If you are having trouble working through problems or just want to bolster your understanding, I would recommend you pay the extra money to get this workbook.

One bad thing I will say about this book is that the publisher did not provide adequate proofreading, as often the numbers are not properly lined up or, in some cases, words or numbers are actually cut off. The credits in the journal entries are sometimes left aligned and other times indented. Although the formatting leaves much to be desired with this book, I would still recommend the purchase, because the content is accurate and it is a great tool for studying.
on August 24, 2011
This book is wonderful. I was skeptical at first with all the negative reviews about its complexity and its only uses for people who are already accountants. The fact is I am studying for the CPA and I was reading the Bick Financial books. Not only was it so stodgy, It didn't explain any of the terminology. I was reading on FIFO/LIFO from the Kieso book and they explained such words as base year, year 1 layer, price indexes. Not only that, they provided concrete examples in the form of journal entries and financial statements. Yes this book is heavy, but I am taking this class online. Even then, the conciseness and All in one reference makes this book worth carrying around. Dare I say this is like an accountant's bible?

Notes on the language -I am an average reader and am still a student. I think the words they use are fairly simple(compared to the CPA texts I have read at the very least) There hasn't been a concept that has befuddled me yet. Topics and terminology are fairly easy to find. I haven't tried to look up anything obscure, but if I run into any trouble, I'll let you guys know.