Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

Intermediate Perl: Beyond The Basics of Learning Perl
Format: Paperback|Change

on March 17, 2013
This book is a must for anyone who has mastered the first several chapters of "Learning Perl" and wants to extend this perl skills. It covers an excelent choice of topics. With one exception, the coverage is well written and supported by amusing examples and appropriate exercises (with informative answers). Only that exception and a strong bias toward the UNIX user keep it from earning my highest rating.

The section on the use of the module Data::Dumper for marshalling data fails to meet the standard set by the remainder of the book. Frankly, it leaves me confused. Fortunately, the advice is to use other modules which are covered with the expected clarity.

Topics are all of general interest. Do not expect to find detailed advice relevant only to a single disipline such as network, data base, or biology programming.
on April 10, 2013
I own a ton of technical books on various computer subjects. If they were all as well written as this, life would be so much easier. It is clear and concise. Easily re-readable for more difficult concepts. Every chapter has self exercises, and the answers are in the back. I honestly wish other books were written in this detailed, easy to follow style. The code examples actually demonstrate the concepts and do not introduce distractions from what you are trying to learn. This book is very gratifying to work through because you actually learn at a good pace. The chapters serve as a great desk side reference. My only complaint is that "Intermediate" is in the title, which looks like of noobish on my desk. On the other hand, you know exactly where you are in the series hierarchy..
on February 2, 2018
Great book was delivered on time and was intact.
on August 29, 2013
A well-written book (in the authors' traditional 'style') covering
most of the essential ways to use Perl beyond the simple
code that makes your Perl look like Basic.
on July 5, 2013
This book has advanced my knowledge of perl better than any other! The delivery is spot-on and I understood everything very quickly based on Randal's presentation. Obviously very well refined given how many revisions have past.
on August 30, 2017
good read
on October 27, 2012
I thought I have a good knowledge about Perl, but this book changed my mind in first chapter. It's not a intermediate level, and quite difficult if you have not read the "Learning Perl". I recommend strongly to read Learning Perl first and fully understand it before start this book. This book talking about a lot of reference and HASH data structure, but I feel like it's not much useful for real life.
on May 23, 2013
I am programming in Perl since 1997. Randal L. Schwartz gives magnificent lessons even to experienced perl programmer. It is called Intermediate Perl, although it covers some advanced concepts. Excellent manual.
on October 11, 2017
I will continue to update this review as a progress thru this book.

I just received "Intermediate Perl" and i am leafing through the entire text before I dive in.

Again, a lazy software author, since when did code snippets become equal to coding examples?

I thinks it's going to be a painful read.

Update at page 31:
I have been able to get about half of the code snippets to run by wrapping them around my own code.

At this point I'm not sure what I dislike more "Intermediate Perl" or the cpanm command for downloading Perl modules?

Stopping on page 121. None of the code snippets are working. I can't stand it any more!
on October 28, 2012
After having learned the basics in Learning Perl ("Llama book"), Intermediate Perl takes you to the next level. It is aimed at doing more serious development work (programs of over 1000 lines of code). Hence it introduces the more advanced concepts as complex data structures, references, packages and OOP.

This book covers a lot in its 21 chapters. It serves well a classroom or self-paced learning discipline with equally length chapters of approximately one hour reading time and exercises that help you practice the newly introduced concepts.

I like the introductional chapters, getting into CPAN, intermediate foundations (grep, map, eval) and references. Good prep work to start tackling more complex problems. Up until chapter 10 it expands on references concepts which was a really good read. At chapter 11 there is a turning point into software development: how to write bigger and more maintainable programs in Perl. How to create your own Perl distribution, Perl's OOP design and (Advanced) Testing, ending with Moose and contributing to CPAN. At this point, when using all these concepts in your daily work, you are probably becoming a master. The next logical step is to then read Mastering Perl, the 3rd O'Reilly Perl learning series book or the Perl bible, Programming Perl.

OOP Perl
I found this the most complex part of the book, not as clear as the other topics (ch 1-11 and Testing). I am not sure this is inherent to Perl's design of OOP or the way Intermediate Perl presented the content and/or its samples. I probably have to start using OOP more in my work, and I am going to read Damian Conwey's OOP title on the subject which seems a good place to learn OOP Perl in depth.

Overall opinion
I can recommend Intermediate Perl as a logical step after the Llama. If you want to build larger, more powerful/ robust programs, this gives you a jumpstart. You might as me need more material and practice on object oriented Perl but that is fine, this is still a very useful reference that brings together fundamental intermediate to advanced Perl techniques.

If you are serious about a career in Perl development this book should be on your shelf. For simple scripting needs it might be overkill, but even then you will need to pass a reference around form time to time, re-use software from CPAN, etc. Apart from that, you will learn better, faster, and more efficient coding practices in Perl from this book.