Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 180 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 191 reviews
on June 29, 2014
Objective information like this - versus chamber of commerce sales type pitches - is hard to find. Very few sources can cover this information, especially the medical details by country which is what many care about.

The book covers the South & Central American options plus lesser coverage to Europe & SE Asia.

It does a good job of having readers ask themselves the questions - other than cost - to see if they REALLY might be able to relocate to a different culture, which is not at all easy.

Good source on hard to find topic.
on July 30, 2017
Took this book on vacation to Belize and couldn't put it down. My husband and I are now seriously considering traveling for a year while we decide where we want to live overseas after retirement (or as part of an early retirement given how much cheaper one can live outside the US). International Living does a great job and we are looking forward to catching one of their conferences in Phoenix soon too! If you are thinking about retiring oversease, I highly recommend this book!
on June 27, 2016
Felt as though I was reading sales promotional material. There is some useful info so download a sample and decide for yourself.
on August 4, 2014
Simplictic and enticing introduction to how to have a whole new advernture living outside the U. S. during our retirement years on a smaller budget than it probably takes. I wish I had been younger when I was first introduced to this information. I would have looked into this more carefully had I been at the front end of my retirement years, and not already in my mid-term. With the turmoil both here and elsewhere in the world, it makes so much sense to live our (old) retirement dream where now it may still be possible. Take a look! I doubt actually doing it is any more risky than staying here, ten years from now.
on January 17, 2016
I live overseas and bought it mostly for information on other areas for vacation planning. It was OK, somewhat out of date and not very helpful for the area where I live so not sure how helpful for planning pirposes
on October 12, 2016
I wish I would have read this years ago. Well written, clear, and concise. It covers a lot of ground (pun intended) in and easy to read style. It motivated me to rethink my future and laid out several options of potential countries to move to with beautiful weather, where services are available, and my retirement pensions will go further.
This book has an excellent overview of living overseas listed by country. The book is probably worth it for the country-by-country section alone. From Central to South America, then Europe, then Asia, you get an overview of life outside the US and budgets for retirees. Healthcare is discussed, along with insurance issues (some places won't issue a policy after age 64) and whether or not the healthcare system is a good one.

There is a also a discussion of lifestyle--I wish there had been more, for some of the countries where the authors have lived. They moved around a lot. They offer advice such as bringing your American appliances as buying them overseas can be terribly expensive and they are not as good--but there is little discussion of the fact you may have to pay duty, in many places on personal items brought in. There are a lot of import tariffs you may not expect. Is is better to hire a laundry service or simply deal with foreign appliances? And what about voltages? Yes, you can use a step-down transformer in countries with 220V, but 50Hz vs 60Hz is tough on motors, so often, it's not practical. But..this is just one aspect of living overseas.

There is also a chapter on working overseas, teaching, volunteering. It's a sketchy discussion but the bottom line is "don't rely on extra income from working."

A bigger issue: What does "good healthcare" actually mean? If you are ill, really ill, you'd possibly need to come to the US for treatment for very serious problems such as cancer or advanced cardiac surgery. That's where the rest of the world comes when the chips are really down. Yes, our system has many problems, but American medicine is outstanding for complicated illness. I am not convinced this is true for other countries necessarily. A lot has to do with where the teaching hospitals are--because this is generally where the most advanced medicine is available. So if you face a life-threatening illness, are you willing or able to take up temporary residence back in the US, in a city where your particular illness can be treated? That's a serious consideration. Or will you have access to the most advanced, life-saving treatments in your country of residence?

The advice on local languages may be true up to a point--yes, a thriving ex-pat community means you may not have to acquire fluency. And yes, many countries teach English and locals use it as well as their own language. Legal lingo in any language is complex and idiomatic. If you have a problem understanding form letters from tax or financial institutions in the US, it will be a lot worse in any foreign language, even if you are pretty good. You'll need a local advisor of some sort--someone trustworthy. And if some event or disaster is going down where you live (Nicaragua has earthquakes, for example and some of the tropical Caribbean nations experience severe hurricanes) are you going to be able to listen and understand notifications and get timely emergency advice? Where do you go in an emergency? What if it's chaotic?

And that brings me to the final issue that I thought was touched on by the authors: you are leaving your natural support network. Many people grow up in and stay and work in the same region their entire life. When you leave, you leave family, children, relatives, business people you know and trust. You will have to build a support network where you move to--and the authors write that they moved more than a few times. As we get older, this gets more difficult.

I thought the authors did a good job touching on each issue and listing budgets, lifestyle and pros and cons of living in various overseas areas. You'd need more than this book to thoroughly research where you might like to live in retirement if it's outside the US. Each person's situation is different. This is no small project, but "The International Guide" is a great place to start.
1111 comments| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2015
Sparse on specifics but a good general read. If you have done any online research you would probably have learned more than this book will provide.
on April 24, 2014
I was looking for a comprehensive book that gave facts as well as individual experiences...I also have their magazine," International Living" that comes to my home... this publication develops in this same way...facts mixed with stories from expats, that are in the "now" of actually living in another country and finding that the problems that do arise are fixable. All this information aids in making this important change to my life. Maybe my future is unknown...still undecided of where ...with whom I will share this adventure. Feeling that...All... things are possible...A big Thanks to Suzan Haskins for her research and life experiences that make this book a must have. One that anyone who is serious about making this positive forward moving step.. into the unknown...can see the value... that this book makes in your search for you own 'path of Happiness" in another culture and land...well, having knowledge reduces the stress...so Thank You So Much for your words of wisdom...Smile!!! Sincerely Kathy Andrews
on May 4, 2014
The book was very easy to read. The authors have definitely walked the walk they are preaching about in the book, having lived in a handful of different locations in Central and South America. The examples they give of their own experiences as well as those of other expats they met along the way make a person want to get out there and start their own adventure. There are some good tips and links to sites to help with doing research for an overseas retirement. I would definitely recommend this book as a first step for anyone considering retiring outside the US. My desire to learn more has been fueled by this book, I will definitely continue to look for similar books, and, hope to attend one of the International Living workshops in the future.