BCA Month Beauty Best Books of the Month Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Dirty Heads PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now PSFF17_gno

I'd had this book on my wish list for a long time and, finally, decided to order. It wasn't anything like what I was expecting and my initial reaction wasn't positive. But on subsequent revisits, I've concluded that no cake decorating library can be complete without it (and the second book, which I got at the same time).

There is absolutely nothing in this book that a contemporary American cake decorator will use as is. This is a collection of classy and classical heirloom designs and techniques that can add a touch of charm, interest, and uniqueness to modern cakes.

The emphasis is on the small details. There are sections in this book that I hadn't seen anywhere else. There are so many ways in which ribbons can be used to fill or supplement an otherwise staid design; the concept of less-is-more in which a small repeated element is more powerful than a single large element. I had never seen something called a 'cake collar.' I don't think it's something I will ever do, but I found the concept very interesting and the look it produces extremely interesting. The demonstration as to how to produce small royal icing flowers to cluster here and there is very tempting and delicate. Techniques such as crimping, cornelli work, plaques, sugar molds, frills, and incorporating tulle as a design element all work to inspire ways to think beyond the box, even in modern designs. There are many templates provided, including lovely alphabets.

This is really a book worth getting, owning, and reviewing for inspiration, how-to-tips, and unusual approaches that will make your design and implementation different and better than all the rest.
on March 29, 2016
I just got this book and read through it and it's really clear and easy to follow. I'm excited to use it. The photos make sense with the instructions and help to clarify given instructions, and my only complaint, having not made anything using the book yet, is that it ends somewhat abruptly. (No Index/reference section/etc.) It has some neat ideas as well if you're floundering on what exactly you want to make.
on June 12, 2010
Pros:
- Very detailed instruction (both verbal and photo)
- Directions/recipes are very clear to the newest beginner
- Tell you clearly what tools you need for each project/skill
- Good range of skills to begin with (20 full lessons)
- Measurements in both standard and metric units

Cons:
- Written with the British terms, which are slightly different than the American (I recommend learning both so this isn't a huge con, just
something to be aware of)
- Some of the techniques are a bit outdated (originally written in 1988, this was published 1998); the majority are still very relevant.
- Some of the techniques may be a little more British in taste (i.e. fruit cake, etc.)

Overall, a worthwhile tool and very well constructed book. I would recommend it for people who are interested in learning sugar and cake decorating techniques/recipes and who are just starting out.
on January 19, 2017
Cake decorating is a fluid occupation. The tips enclosed in this book will help my students to become better decorators.
on November 21, 2015
It was a nice book. I was looking for more information on gumpaste flowers. I am quite familiar with the information contained in this book. It is clearly for beginners.
on February 13, 2015
The International School of Sugarcraft Book is great for anyone wanting to learn how to create Sugarcraftl I recommend this book for anyone who enjoy baking and making desserts.
on July 10, 2010
As a beginning Cake Decorator I found this book to be full of great information. Most Cake Decorating courses don't get into the cake itself and only give you basics in decorating. The receipes are great as well. This is basics and beyond. If you were not inspired before you will be after reading this book. It makes you want to get all three books. So much knowledge. Great Book
on May 10, 2016
Great service and book. Thanks!!
on May 10, 2016
good
on June 4, 2015
Nicholas can do no wrong