Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
The Internet of Healthy Things Paperback – October 23, 2015
|New from||Used from|
"Warlight" by Michael Ondaatje
A dramatic coming-of-age story set in the decade after World War II, "Warlight" is the mesmerizing new novel from the best-selling author of "The English Patient." Pre-order today
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
About the Author
Long before the internet, health and wellness trackers, apps, sensors or smartphones even existed, Joe Kvedar was creating a new model of health care delivery, moving care from the hospital or doctor’s office into the day-to-day lives of patients. Joseph C. Kvedar, MD, Vice President, Connected Health, Partners HealthCare, is leveraging personal health technologies to improve care delivery and help providers and patients better manage chronic conditions, maintain health and wellness and improve adherence, engagement and clinical outcomes. Under Dr. Kvedar’s two decades of leadership, Partners Connected Health has launched a number of innovative health tracking programs, mobile health, virtual care initiatives and clinical research programs for the more than 1.5 million patients served at Partners HealthCare-affiliated hospitals, including Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, community and specialty hospitals, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Connected health programs address a wide range of health challenges, from heart failure, hypertension and diabetes, to prenatal care, medication adherence, cancer pain management, teen asthma and smoking cessation . Partners Connected Health has also conducted seminal studies that have demonstrated the positive impact of personal health and wellness monitoring to promote and maintain healthy behaviors. Dr. Kvedar, who is internationally recognized as a pioneer and visionary in the field of connected health, has authored over 1000 publications on the subject. He serves as a strategic advisor at Qualcomm Life, West Health Institute, Puretech Ventures and BD Technologies, and is a mentor at Blueprint Health, providing guidance and insight to developing companies. Dr. Kvedar is also a mentor at the Harvard Innovation Lab and serves as a judge for its President's Challenge for Entrepreneurship. Based on the technology platform developed at Partners Connected Health, a personalized health technology company was launched and later acquired by a leading insurance company to support its program encouraging healthy behavior and wellness education among employee populations. In 2013, Dr. Kvedar launched Wellocracy, a leading source of impartial, easy-to-understand information on new personal “self-health” technologies like activity trackers, wireless devices and mobile apps to empower people to get and stay healthy.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
A few points:
- This is NOT a book about the Internet of Things and how they relate to healthcare. in that context the title is a little misleading
- The book does share the author's discussions and experiences with connected health. Its rather Partners-centric and largely focuses on topics within Partners, investments or activities. There are quotes and short cases from others, but there could have been more given all the great and innovative things going on in healthcare.
- The book is Provider centric having more focus there than on the insurance companies that are a major focus of healthcare reform.
There are some great chapters in the book, particularly Chapter 11 the Digital Rx where you see some ideas come together and get to dive deeper into case examples.
Much of the earlier chapters are versions of ideas that have been expressed in other books like "The Patient will see you now" and N=1, etc.
Overall a good book, but not the great one it could have been or that I was expecting from a recognized leader and practitioner.
"This rapid growth is bound to slow down in the coming years, as all of the fitness/ wellness/ quantified-self apps and devices are chasing a relatively small market the 5% to 10% of the population who are motivated to improve their health. That s why I feel confident with this one last prediction: If we want to truly transform the healthcare system, we need to entice the other 90% to get excited about self-tracking and, ultimately, become the managers of their own health."
Get Joe's book. Read it. Then get (or keep) going!