From the Back Cover
A long-awaited book for student volunteers, parents and early literacy educators!Intervening for Literacy: The Joy of Reading to Young Children shows those working with young readers why literacy matters, how it develops, what they need to know about early intervention for literacy development, and what they can do to help.
Accessible and engaging, this book has been written out of concern that far too many children in the United States are not acquiring language and literacy skills to an adequate degree. The National Reading Panel report and the No Child Left Behind legislation have put children's success in reading on everyone's agenda, and early intervention has become a key component of literacy development. This book will guide those interested in working toward that goal.
Unprecedented in the field, this book is for anyone who will work with preschool children in emergent literacy settings, and it has the further aim of giving volunteers and future teachers a realistic view of what teaching is like, showing pathways they may follow into teaching and related professions after their volunteering is done.
There is a new vigor in America to engage volunteers in local communities and Jumpstart is excited to share some of its best practices in volunteer training and mobilization. The authors blend theory with practical application to provide new insights and connections for literacy volunteerism. It is not only the what and the how, but the why. This book promises to inspire a new generation of volunteers to serve young children across the country. --Kim Davenport, Vice President, Research & Development, Jumpstart
Intervening for Literacy in a nutshell
- Easy-to-follow explanations of how children acquire language and literacy skills.
- Interviews with prominent people in the field, including Jumpstart volunteers.
- Numerous practical tips and strategies volunteers can use in their teaching.
- Handy information on programs offering literacy services to parents.
- Lists of websites of each state's department of education, including teaching certification requirements for each of the 50 states.