Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on August 20, 2013
Great book to have in one's personal Library. I bought it specifically to prepare for job interviews, get basic knowledge of the DSM-IV. After reading through, I realized I had used aspects of the DSM in field practicum (juvenile justice) without being fully aware. Each agency will be different and may use more of a particular item than others. I had used items on substance abuse, personality disorders more than others.
I really liked the book, and found it useful.
on December 13, 2015
I am a master of social work graduate student taking the DSM class and diagnosing clients at my internship. This book is awesome to help differentiate between disorders with similar criteria. for example schizophrenia vs delusional disorder, schizophrenia vs schizoaffective, and schizophrenia vs schizophreniform etc. It is really helpful when you know that it is schizophrenia or another psychotic disorder but need to identify and differentiate between specifiers.
on August 26, 2013
This product was awesome! I bought it as a novice practitioner seven years ago. It made the psychiatric evaluation, and it's components, understandable. It's one thing to know the text book definition of pressured speech and another to have examples and have it, and other psych terms and interview questions, explained in a simple and practical way. Recently, I found myself perusing through the book. I found even more information that I can use to interview and dx my patients. I strongly recommend this text; even with the implementation of DSM V approaching. It helps you be less direct and more conversational with your interviewing. And, sometimes this extremely needed when patients regurgitate signs and symptoms from the internet.
on September 8, 2007
and it got my 4 stars despite the downfall I find so typical in every DSM I read.
The positives first. The questions provided will definitely help beginning therapists, etc, access enough information to begin formulating a diagnostic picture. In my experience, clients range from open to guarded, chatty to quiet. The one constant is the time it takes for clients to develop trust. I never get exactly what I need to make an informed eval within the first few sessions without precise information. I ask the questions, and then ask them to give me an example. The criteria necessary to justify a label is concrete....How often..?..What are the triggers...? When....? How much......? What reduces.....?
The problem I have with this and all DSM's is the weak framework within which Axis II factors are diagnosed. No matter how many texts I read, Personality Disorder's are very difficult to diagnose, and often imitate each other on many levels. This Manual doesn't explain how many boundaries are blended, and behavioral/etc, histories are similar.
Still, if you are learning to become an effective diagnostician, I think this book provides a perfect way to access info.
on December 29, 2012
I ordered this book, because I am forever forgetting the appropriate clinical language for Mental Status exams. This book has an outline of assessment questions and followup questions that are ingenious. great for new clinicians. Also has a section on the mental status exam, with a list of vocabulary. Yay! exactly what I was looking for. Added bonus, it is small and light.
on February 19, 2013
Zimmerman has done a fantastic job putting this little guide together. It can also be helpful to make a copy of the pertinent pages and keep them in a client's file. This way you're not pulling out the book every time you need to reference something. Zimmerman also helps the interviewer with the wording which goes a long way with those just starting out in the field. Don't think too long about getting this guide, do it now!
on January 25, 2014
This book will guide you through the best questions to ask patients with specific disorders. It's a fantastic book for all psych medical residents and attendings. Another plus is that it's small enough to fit in your coat pocket. Highly recommended.
on December 1, 2013
I would never use this guide alone. It has many political flaws as does the DSM V. In the DSM V if a medication causes symptoms it is no longer considered medically induced but diagnosed as an illness. these do not have enough information on multicultural concerns. I use the interview guide in several of my psychology classes. It is a good guide.Saves allot of time.
on August 21, 2013
Not only is this a great tool for quick mental status exams and psychosocial assessments, it is also a handy reference for those moments when clinical terminology might escape you in a moment of writer's block. Even with the new DSM-V edition, the terms and questions used in this guide will continue to be relevant for developing a clear clinical picture of mental illness in individuals.
on November 25, 2012
This isnt a want, this is a need. Clinicians need to practice with proficiency and this book is awesome. I love the questions that can be used to diagnosed and find surrounding problems that are inexistent to the client. Its affordable. Every clinician should have one.