Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 659 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 761 reviews
on February 6, 2015
You CAN use this on an in-ground application. Needing to replace our salt-chlorine generator (SWG), I did lots of research on the internet and in my local stores. Prices were $950 to $2000. I can buy a dump-load of chlorine for that money plus replacing salt cells every two or three years. Fuggedabowdit.

I bought this on Amazon for about $130 and change and was very skeptical. After all, it's more than $800 cheaper than the nearest competitor and I've never used the Intex brand before. All the reviews are great but most of the users have above ground pools, for which this is designed. That said, it's because Intex makes parts almost exclusively for above ground and not in-ground pools.

Installation was very straight forward and so far my only complaint is the layout of the inlet and outlet of the device. Why make a 90-degree turn on the exit? It added several turns to an otherwise clean installation. If that's the only problem then I'm happy as fleas on a mongrel. The threaded input and output ports are standard 2" NPT so just use a couple of female adapters and then you can glue into your plumbing from there. Wrap the threads with at least 6 to 8 turns of quality PTFE thread tape. Do not use pipe dope.

For "permanent" installation (it comes with a three-prong plug with a built in GFCI control), all you need to do is clip the cord before the GFCI and mount the cord to your J-box with a UL strain relief in a 1/2" knockout and add to your existing protected pump switch circuit.

Programming was very easy - you just tell it how many hours to run per day. Wire it so that it is switched with your pump and you're golden! Just make sure that your pump cycles for at least the same if not more hours than the SWG.

There's a bit of guess work at first as far as how many hours to run but if you have even a little knowledge of SWG systems (read, baby, read) then it's very simple to get started. Monitor your levels daily at first and weekly thereafter, adjust as necessary. Now, let's get Intex to start marketing equipment for the rest of the world who have real pools!
on July 9, 2016
This will be the second one of these I've bought for our 24' round pool. The first one lasted only a few years but was worth every cent. Besides the money saved on chemicals, this makes water chemistry practically maintenance free. I still shock the pool in the fall and spring, still have to add the occasional bag of salt, but I run this with the pump for 4 hours a day and have crystal clean water always. The manual, by the way, recommends longer run times for pools this size, but I suspect those recommendations take many variables into account which apparently don't apply to me.

Intex continues to improve this product so I anticipate having this one last even longer than the first. The only feature that would be really nice to have on these is a timer set with a clock instead of "24 hours from when the unit was last turned on". It's tricky to synchronize with a pool timer and hard to find ANY timer that can handle the load of both a pool pump and this unit without melting. But because of the overall genius of this generator and its ability to be used on non-Intex pools, it deserves top marks.

Be aware, however, that there is a drawback to using a saltwater system with metal-structured pools. It's not a lot of salt overall, but it's enough that rust becomes an issue on metal parts that are not galvanized, painted, or otherwise protected. On an aging pool like mine, the effects become quickly evident. Even still, and even if it does cuts into the overall lifespan of my pool, I have no regrets about the time and money this little wonder has saved me over the years.
on July 1, 2016
This product is a definite MUST if you own an Intex pool. Trying to keep one of these pools clear is near impossible using chemicals. Using saltwater system is the only way to go. It is so simple and works great. The pool stores will tell you that these systems are garbage, but they are lying to you. It costs them money when you aren't buying their pool supplies. We have been running this saltwater system for 3-4 years now and it's great. $8 for a 40lb bag of salt, maybe 4-5 bags and you never have to buy it again for that season. This is our 2nd saltwater system, our original system finally got a "red service" light after 3 seasons of use. I tried to clean it and take it apart per YouTube videos, but I am not that handy and opted to just buy another one. The price had dropped since the last time we bought a unit, so I can't complain. So, in conclusion....these systems really do work great and are very easy to use. Feel free to contact me with any questions, videos, or pictures.
on June 30, 2015
DO not buy this!!!!!!!
After getting shocked by the Built-in GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) today when I pressed the rest button, I decided to take the GFCI apart and found that it is not water resistant. The circuit board has been burned out.
This was surprising since the GFCI had never been immersed in water and at best just been splashed upon.
Based on my experience not only is this product defective, but it is VERY dangerous.
I have attached a picture, taken from my phone, of the circuit board that was inside the "water-proof" GFCI.
review image
This is the 3rd system exactly like this that I have bought. They seem to last for a long season then go kaput. I STILL prefer it to buying shock and dealing with chlorine. I think salt is a lot healthier and it is about the same price. I run this with a sand filter and it makes the water extremely pleasant. The water is not salty like the sea, it is more a very mild saltiness that is a delight to swim in.
If you need fittings, this box won't always provide them but the most I normally have to pay is 2-3 bucks at the Home Supply and Repair big store.
These do have a big chunk of copper in them that can be recycled/sold.
I keep buying them even though they don't last because they keep the water very clear, and I don't have algea problems or any problems really, so I end up saving money on chemicals in the long run. My pool is under a tree so it can be a pain to maintain, but salt water is easiest and the most pleasant. When these start to go out, they start reading "Add salt" "add salt' but no matter how much you add, you'll get that same message.
My first one lasted 1.5 years. The second one, we bought it in September and ran it a couple of months, shut the pool down, then it ran the next summer and quit right at the end of the season.
on September 9, 2016
We've had these intex chlorine generators for the past four or five years to get away from all the chemicals. They're great...when they work. We went through about 1 every summer, but this last one didn't even make it that long, so I can only conclude they are total junk. I've spent many hours of my life troubleshooting these generators, trying this, trying that, testing the water, and even rewiring the thing as a last resort. I'm done.
on August 7, 2016
At the price of saltwater systems today there is no reason not to have one. This thing so far is trouble free and makes it quite easy to maintain your pool even for a novice like me. I usually run it four hours a day to have correct chlorine level. It also makes copper ions but I only had to run that one time to get the recommended level. It is simple and easy to set up and operate, be sure to read the instructions on the saltwater TEST STRIPS.
on June 19, 2016
Like a lot of pool owners I got tired of buying chemicals all summer long because the prices raise every year so decided to give the salt route a try after doing some research.the initial cost is a little high but still probably less than half a summer of all the other chemicals and set up was easy once I figured out how many bags of salt I needed to purchase. I used it the first summer after spending around $250 for salt and the machine without any problems and a great looking pool. The second summer I only had to purchase 3 40lbs bags of salt at a cost of about $25 and the pool was back to looking great but then the current pool season came and the salt generator now doesn't work two weeks outside of the 2 year warranty which is very disappointing because I now have to buy another one at around $125 or go back to the chemicals which are expensive but have no warranties to worry about.it would be nice if the company would still honor the warranty since it is just outside of the 2 year timeframe.
on August 12, 2016
Crap. I usually have really good things to say about intex but this is the 2nd saltwater system I have bought (first one went out after a few years, which is fine) this one since I added salt to the pool it went from low salt to high salt. I have drained 1/2 the pool and refilled it and it still said it, we have has heavy rains for weeks and still saying high salt, added more fresh water and it still is saying it. This is becoming such a PITA. Of course now it's past the time for me to be able to return it so I have to deal with intex c/s. (and have to contact then about a defective hot tub). Just too many issues intex. If they have good c/s I will keep buying their products but if not I will be switching everything intex I own to other brands.
on August 19, 2014
Wonderful chlorinator! Our water is very clear and there is very little chlorine smell. It doesn’t burn your eyes or irritate your skin. The kids love our saltwater pool. Walmart has the best price on the pool salt. The kids love help stirring around the salt. This is our first season with it and we have not had any issues. We run it about 3 hours a day in our 12’ x 30” Intex pool due to the heavy use our pool gets. A bunch of kids for a bunch of hours= a lot of hours running the pump and chlorinator. We ran the 530gph pump with the saltwater system once and it worked fine. I bought the 1,000gph pump because the Krystal Clear system recommends using a 700 gph or greater pump. I heard the 530gph pump causing low pressure stalls for the system, and also a low gph pump means more hours of running the more expensive chlorinator.