Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 140 reviews(4 star, Verified Purchases). See all 581 reviews
on June 30, 2017
It took me weeks to finish this book. I almost gave up about a third of the way through because although there were several trails the book followed, none of them seemed to lead anywhere. Finally, the story of Stanley and Livingstone emerged and it turned out it was well worth wading through the beginning. Fascinating and intriguing read as it exposes the intense human drive for exploration and discovery.
on April 5, 2017
This book will appeal to history buffs who desire the raw adventure of trekking across old Africa. Livingstone and Stanley traversed a savage and wild part of the world as far from civilization as one could get in the nineteenth century. When finished you will feel the immediate urge for a shower, a malaria shot, and perhaps a blood test.
on July 4, 2015
It's a great story of the expeditions into the African heartland where no white men had ever previously traveled. Dr. Livingstone was world famous for his previous multi-year journeys into the very dark heart of that very dark continent, as was the great adventurer, Henry Morton Stanley.

If you are interested in the initial explorations of 19th Century Africa and the search for the source of the Nile, this book is for you.

I have spent many years working in Africa and I know the eastern and the southwestern regions very well. I am not just some American armchair adventurer, and I have traveled Africa, from Egypt to South Africa, with a lot of time spend flying food relief into various African war zones,and studied African history extensively. I highly recommend this book.
on June 10, 2015
You will need an atlas of Africa for this! The Book is a good biography of Stanley and Livingston, tho tedious at times, I truly enjoyed both of their adventures! The plot weaves both men's stories alternately, so I didn't need to reference back to either men. While I never considered how hard a feat this would be, I felt as if I had walked across west Africa, bartered with tribe chiefs, smelled the aromas of river and swamp and argued with Arab slave traders.
on June 6, 2017
I enjoyed this thoroughly researched and well written book. Dugard writes in a style that's easy to follow. There was a lot more to the story of Stanley and Livingstone than I had previously thought and it is very well detailed in this book. Highly recommended.
on January 30, 2014
I am really interested in Victorian-era exploration, so I was really surprised to learn how little I knew of this story. Dugard handles it brilliantly, using time and geography as a tool to drive the narrative. What African explorers (and those who were not there to explore but to basically rape the continent) went through is mind-boggling, and, in hindsight, so unnecessary. Through the lens of history their exploits read almost like fiction - and in the case of this book, that is a good thing. I felt like I was reading an adventure story, not a history. Definitely recommended.
on October 19, 2014
What an incredibly difficult subject to write about and still keep the readers interest .The writer keeps it mainly in strict chronological order whereas I think I many have started when Stanley actually finds Livingstone and then moved back to the two seperate stories .firstly of LIvingstone and secondly of Stanley . There was much space devoted to the London situation with Livingstone and I would have preferred much more aspace devoted to all the diaries of Livingstone..how the African tribesmen dressed and lived and ate and loved and how they ate the captives etc and much more detail about the plants and animals .I also would have liked more details of how Africans captured other Africans to be sold as slaves.
However,it is a wonderful account of the raw courage of two men who struggled through immense pain to meet the respective goals and I was debating if it was 4 or 5 stars
on May 23, 2017
Excellent read with a lot of "I didn't know that!" information about Stanley and Livingstone and the hardships they endured to "meet" up. Recommended.
on July 27, 2017
Enjoyed reading into Africa.It wasn't the sort of reading that I usually read, but reading something meant to intrigue once in awhile is a welcome change.
on May 21, 2017
So much story behind the phrase "Dr. Livingston I presume." Well written with a lot of background to all the characters.