Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 49 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 62 reviews
on February 6, 2015
Although Erickson writes from a Calvinistic view of the bible and salvation, it is none the less a good read for learning basic Christian theology. There are a few occasions where he tries to make a distinction in his argument about the use of terms and the providence of God and it fall flat. It seemed to me he was trying to make a distinction where there is no distinction. This is what he says in context to the plan of God for man " The plan of God does not force us to act in particular ways, but renders it certain that we will freely (the word freely he has italicized) act in those ways" (2001, p. 123). To me that argument falls flat and is a distinction without a distinction along with some other instances of that nature later on in the book.

He also presents a progressive view of creation, an idea which i don't particularly espouse. My main point is that he spends most of the section on that view, which is his view.

Overall a good thorough introduction.
on June 5, 2012
While working on my Masters Degree in seminary one of my text books was Erickson's Christian Theology. Though I have over 500 theology books in my library, the one that I find myself using the most is Eri9ckson's book. The only problem I have with Erickson is his definition (quoting someone else) of the infallibility of the word of God. He only contributes one passage to the subject. Now that I teach in Bible College I knew that Erickson's book Christian Theology would be over many of the students' head. However, his theology book Introduction to Christian Doctrine was just the book to provide a great understanding of theology for those ministers who do not have a strong formal background. I highly recommend this book.
on March 5, 2017
Awesome content.
on February 11, 2015
Great work. Detailed information for systematic theology.
on March 26, 2014
How convenient this was including the highlights of being able to cut-and-paste from the Amazon Kindle website overall I recommend anybody who's nervous to go ahead and make the leap and buy a textbook from kindle you'll appreciate it.it almost feels like you're forgetting something when you don't have to carry around your heavy text book
on September 10, 2013
I have been a Christian a long time but Erickson writes with knowledge but draws into the emotions of what its like to live as a Christian, why God, Jesus and man. Just truth but its also supposed to make you seek and ask questions. If curious about Christianity I think this is an excellent book. Wanting to know more about your faith its an excellent book as well!
on February 22, 2011
I find that Introduction to Christian Theology is particularly helpul and thorough for an intro into the subject matter. The beginning of each chapter has an outline of objectives discussed, summary, study questions and chapter outline. I like the fact that Erickson includes various world views, theories and philosophies, then compares and contrasts to the Christian/Biblical view and presents a cohesive conclusion. A must for any student, lay person, and/or pastor.
on May 13, 2013
This book is an easy to read college level introduction to subject matter
it presented me with several options and challenged me to commit to what
I believe
I would recommend this to any person interested in broading their views on religion
and how their beliefs fit.
I need more books like this BRAVO!!!!!!!!
on March 23, 2013
I train Pastors in the Philippines who have no formal education. Erickson's work is written simple enough that they can grasp the concepts even though English is very difficult for them. The different point of views Erickson presents opens up great discussion and allows for minor doctrinal differences to exist between the student pastors.
on April 6, 2015
Millard has an excellent understanding on the Christian doctrines. I recommend this book to everyone who is interested in understanding the foundational doctrine.