Spring Deals Automotive HPC Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on October 9, 2013
I was a long-time Microsoft Money user, and a reluctant Quicken 2011 Premier user since late 2010 (once Microsoft announced it was no longer updating Money). The transition was somewhat laborious and annoying, but I have since grown used to Quicken. Yes, it has its quirks, but I have never lost any data and I have grown more and more dependent on it and more familiar with it over time.

Based on scathing reviews of 2012 and 2013 versions, I never tried to upgrade to those versions and have no experience with them. The reviews of previous versions are similar to other reviews for 2014 in that most claim very few (positive) changes hence no real reason to upgrade. Alas, soon my online updates in Quicken 2011 will stop working in April 2014 due to Quicken's policy of only supporting the last 3 versions (2014, 2013, 2012). At least they are consistent - this has been their policy for 10+ years. I love automatic updates of my accounts, so I bit the bullet and purchased Quicken 2014 Premier.

I think a lot of people are in my shoes... Waiting as long as you can (3 years) before being forced to upgrade from 2011 to 2014 due to the syncing capability expiring, and begrudgingly upgrading and wondering if it will make your life better or worse. So this review is written from that perspective... 2011 vs 2014.

First of all, the upgrade process was fairly straight-forward. I didn't lose any data, there were no errors, and all customized reports came across just fine.

I don't get too worked up over cosmetic or even functional changes but instead put the effort into learning the new application and generally am OK with whatever changes the vendor makes in the long run. In this case there REALLY isn't anything to worry about - Quicken 2014 looks almost identical to 2011. There are a few minor changes such as color scheme. More accounts show up in the account bar (new "Separate" group for accounts that don't show up under "Banking", "Investing", etc. groups). Some dialog/input boxes look different but offer the same functionality. One annoyance is that the pencil/blue dot in the register to indicate Manually Entered / Reviewed downloaded transaction sometimes gets covered up by a new balloon tooltip that prevents you from getting the context menu that allows you to mark it as Reviewed. But overall, it looks very similar.

The One Step Update process is a bit different - one less dialog to click through (especially if you are using password vault) - so that is good, but it does look different. I can't tell that it is any faster at updating accounts than 2011, however. I have been having problems updating my PayPal account in Q2011, and in Q2014 it still had problems but generated a lot more error dialogs that kept getting in my way, so I ended up disabling syncing of my PayPal account altogether.

There is now a way to close accounts instead of only hiding them. This helps in reducing the number of accounts to choose from in account droplists, for example.

I also like the ability to see upcoming scheduled entries in the register - very nice enhancement, although I haven't worked with this too much yet.

The mobile app... I have an Android phone, and it is nice to see recent transactions and such, but really nothing too exciting here. My wife has an iPad and I have to say the iPad app is actually pretty nice - I was pleasantly surprised - very smooth and fluid and modern. The main way we use it is to keep track of our monthly budget/spending progress. Our original (default) budget had way too much detail & too many categories in it, so we created a new and separate "Discretionary" budget that had limited categories (dining out, gas, etc but not fixed things like mortgage) to make it easier to view on the iPad. It is nice that you can determine which one (and only one) budget to sync to mobile devices. This is nice since Quicken is on my laptop and I travel quite a bit, so it is easy for my wife to keep up-to-date on everything while I am away.

Many times when syncing, Quicken will hang and/or crash. I can't seem to spot a consistent condition that causes this to happen. Again, I haven't lost any data, but this behavior doesn't instill confidence, either. At one point I was running into enough crashes that I ended up disabling mobile sync (Quicken Cloud syncing) altogether to essentially reset everything, then re-enabled mobile Quicken Cloud syncing. Since then, it has been a bit more stable, but not perfect. The initial sync takes a LONG time... be prepared to wait 10-15 minutes even on a high speed connection (100Mbit up/down office connection), but the incremental sync after that is reasonable (less than 30 seconds). I am syncing 17 accounts and the small "discretionary" budget.

Overall, I'm not mad that I upgraded, but not ecstatic either. I wish it were more stable and efficient and that there were a real competitor out there to keep Intuit on their toes. Overall it has been an OK experience.
4848 comments| 539 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 9, 2013
I have been using Quicken for more than a decade and have tolerated being forced to upgrade every few years simply because there is no better alternative to this B+ software.

So I recently upgraded from Quicken 2011 (which was working tolerably) to Quicken 2014. The look and feel of the program is exactly the same as the three year old Quicken--no changes or improvements that I can see. However, the new program is clearly not ready to be released as it is filled with bugs.

Most annoying is that when I try to download transactions from my bank, credit card or brokerage house, the program immediately crashes. Quicken customer service, although happy to talk to you, is hapless. I have spent about 5 hours on the phone installing, uninstalling, copying and validating files--essentially beta testing this program which I spent $75 for-- all to no avail. Promises to get a call back from 'level 2'to resolve have been lies.

If you have a working version of Quicken, do NOT upgrade to this version. Am trying to figure out how to get my money back.
1010 comments| 222 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 4, 2013
UPDATE: Dec 1, 2013- Well, I am still not convinced that the feature set justified the upgrade, and the program still worries me. I backup every couple of days in anticipation that I will lose my data file someday. Continuing problems. Every now and then, usually when I am doing a lot of transactions, the program will just decide to close. It appears to happen when I have several weeks of catch up to do. Nothing is lost, but I need to reopen the program and pickup where I left off. The graphics, as comment by others, appear to have been coded by an beginner. When you click on an account, the ledger windows shrinks to about 1" by 1", background colors flash, and eventually the register will open. Really poor graphics. Another problem that appears to be happening on downloads is that quicken thinks I have duplicate check numbers. I will accept a transaction for a check, then the next transaction, which is not a check and just a straight debit card charge, generates a dialog box saying I have duplicate check numbers and if that is not the case, just accept the transaction. Don't know what is happening here, but it appears the program is confused. It is not my Bank! This just started with Quicken 2014, and my bank is extremely tech literate. If quicken doesn't up their game, current online banking services will replace them. My bank will already project pending and scheduled transactions against future balances.

ORIGINAL: Oct, 4, 2013- I upgraded from Quicken 2011 since it was approaching the 3 year limit. Interface changes are not that significant and in some cases a step backwards. Can't understand who architects the UI, but it doesn't appear like anyone who actually uses the software is involved. Loan button was removed taskbar. Liabilities are merged with assets on account bar. No way to get rid of assets, or choose assets for accounts, without hiding them from all displays. No way to move display of liabilities (loans) to a more user friendly place close to bank accounts. Lot's of other functionality that has never been implemented.

Real negative problem. Loading of account screens. I don't know who programed this, but it is clunking and slow. Small minimized window flashes before account ledger is displayed. Found a major problem with program scheduling. Try a high disk activity task and programs stalls until it is complete. I was ripping from a DVD drive to HD on a separate controller, secondary RAID controller. While every other program, to include the browser, functioned fine, Quicken locked and would not load a screen account until I got a pause between rips. It appears the program runs, with the flashing screen problems other have noted, when it is the only program. If there are other windows open, it appears to have the last priority and must access the disk before loading an account register. Intuit-it is not my computer and if you dismiss this, you are ignoring all the other mentions of slow loading of accounts.

Had do upgrade, not happy. Still wait for someone at Intuit to actually improve the functionality and make this product attractive again.

Follow-up on functionality pet peeves:
1. 401K matching. A bi-weekly chore for most non-salary quicken users is adjusting employer 401K contributions. You would think that a program of quicken's pedigree would have incorporated a simple employer match for 401K. Instead, when the weekly 401K amount changes, the user needs to make two entries, one for the employee and one for the employer. Simple functionality of setting up the paycheck with matching would solve this problem. There are several simple matching schemes that could be added. 100% match. xx% match to a limit. xx% match to limit, with fixed employer amount based on salary. Possibilities are endless.
2. After all this time, if my bank can get utilities bills, why can't quicken? My bank will get the utilities bills and pay automatically. However, when quicken schedules the bill, the amount is incorrect so when the bank transaction is downloaded, I get duplicate transactions. Why can't quicken schedule the correct amount, or come up with an algorithm that matches the two transaction? Bank registers are becoming more functional than quicken.
3. Transaction matching. Why hasn't someone done a little work to make this more useful? How about some register/account aware matching. I schedule transfers to several accounts. In the scheduling I do, quicken knows the register, the payee, and the receiving account. However, when the bank transaction comes in, it only matches the name and amount. If the name matches, it will change the receiving account, even though I probably got it right in the first place. So when you have several transaction that come down from the bank, if quicken matched not only on name, but also on account that it comes from, I wouldn't have to manually scrolled down and select the correct one.

This all seems a little picky, my first transaction in quicken is from 1989. This doesn't count the incorrectly converted transactions the quicken now says occurred in 1912. Over the years, the annual updates have included less and less real functionality updates to the UI. Intuit has pursued some strange functionality, and ignores all the requests to improve the mundane day-to-day transaction improvement that people encounter all the time. That is why I have gone from an annual update cycle to only 3 year forced updates. I can tell you, that there are no real improvements since 2011, that are worth the reduced price of $69.00.
66 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 8, 2013
I am a long time Quicken user. I find it amazing that a very large, reputable company like Intuit would release a software product like Quicken 2014 that is clearly not ready for prime time.

As with other users who have previously reviewed Quicken 2014, I find that the software is rendered basically unusable because of the long delay after every individual register entry. See, for example, this prior review: http://www.amazon.com/review/R2DHT4XL4VX6SB/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00E7X9WZU&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag= (Quicken 2014 "very often "pauses" and displays a blinking/rotating round pointer in the screen.") See also this comment in the review by zoolook: "the refresh is appallingly slow. I have a very fast PC with dedicated graphics cards, and this makes no difference. This isn't just a slight nuisance, it's practically unusable."

As evidenced by the reviews noted above and other reviews here on Amazon, this refresh/flickering cursor/flashing circle issue is real, and I can't see how it could not have been detected during beta testing. I should add that there is nothing unusual about my set-up: Windows 7 running on a standard PC with a recent i7 processor and a good graphics card, no unusual software running in the background, etc.

I have uninstalled 2014 and gone back to Quicken 2011. I'll reinstall 2014 after Intuit works out the bugs. Still, I ask, how could they have released the software in its current form? Disappointing.
44 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 30, 2013
*** 10/27/13 update: app crashes almost daily. This happens when syncing with my accounts, and/or cloud, or just moving around in the app. It is really shocking how bad this app is. It is very disappointing that such a mainstream product is so unstable, yet people (suckers like me) seem to still buy it! I am told that you can return the product within 60 days for full refund, and at this point with multiple crashes per day I have reached this point. I will be returning the app and searching for more stable alternatives.

*** 10/3/13 update: Quicken 2014 has crashed now about 3 times for me (in 3 days of use). All during the sync. Really don't want to even bother with customer support again, this product is getting worse the more I use it. It is unstable now, and I can't believe that a production version of the app crashes like this. I would give it negative stars if I could. Says COM error, then just crashes. $100 for an app that crashes, speechless.

*** 10/1/13 update: just confirmed #7 is a bug in 2014. It took only 2 support people and 3 hours of my life to convince them there was a bug! They kept trying to convince me it's not a bug, it's working perfectly, but I would not give up. It is this culture at quicken that is killing the product. How about reward the support staff and users for finding bugs, rather than having them tell us we are wrong! I paid $100 for this product, and have spent hundreds more worth of my time. If it takes me (a software engineer) 3 hours to convince your support team of the simplest bug there is a major issue with your support staff. Nobody else (besides me being so stubborn) would ever take that much time and patience! I can send the transcript of my chat with support for anyone at Quicken who cares. ***

Upgraded from 2012 to 2014. The Mobile app (Q14) is nice for budget, checking and savings, but that is all. No support for investment accounts, so that is a huge disappointment - even more so considering this is the second year the mobile app has been around. It took me a while to setup the cloud sync, and it failed the first time I tried. But after working with support I finally got it to work.

The budget screens are painful, much worse than 2012 in my opinion. There are bugs in the charts, editing the budget is painful, there is no easy way to create a simple budget. It just needs to be streamlined some more, but it's still pretty bad.

Also the app is still slow, screens flash and go black, overall it just feels cheap. The quality is just not there. Charts and graphs start out less than full screen, flicker then go into full screen, load slow, and are jittery.

Here are my list of complaints of Quicken 2014:

1) Allow category edits to an item from the category transaction history popup in the budget page.
2) The app is still too slow: I think you need new developers that know how to use caching.
3) No support for opening multiple windows on window task bar.
4) Need a simpler budget editor to setup budget, graph view and annual view are awful.
5) Fix the graphics on your UI! Charts flicker and are slow, the app goes black when syncing.
6) You need to make ALL syncing (including to the cloud) run in the background so we can still use the app.
7) When clicking on a category item in the budget (graph view), or chart icon, you see a spending history chart by month. The chart incorrectly shows the current months amount across for all other months. So the entire chart shows the same values for all months for the whole year, which is clearly wrong (confirmed this is a bug with quicken).
8) Add investment accounts to the mobile app. Quicken Premier is supposed to be about adding support for investments, but no support in the mobile app? What a rip.
88 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 26, 2013
** - Edited on Sept 27th. Having corresponded to Quicken customer services, I've discovered the password issue is fixed; I had to change the default setting in Quicken to request a file password, not just a vault password. If you're upgrading from an older version of Quicken, you might need to do this check. I've improved the rating to 3 stars. I've also noticed that Intuit is not yet showing Quicken 2014 on their website (they're still selling 2013 for $99).

I upgraded from Quicken 2011, so this is a 3-year jump. It was instantly familiar, but there are some worthwhile additions and tweaks. The budgeting is easier to set up and track, as are savings goals and debt reduction. The online updates are improved, they're slightly quicker, and I like the new loan summary screens that show project payoffs and some 'what if' scenarios.

But, this release is sloppy for several reasons. Firstly, the R1 release was done with several known bugs, including one where you can access data after cancelling the password prompt. I reported this on the quicken community website, and was told the bug was fixed in R2 and my thread was locked. I have R2 now, and this bug is not fixed, although others are including serious crashes when accessing older reports. (now fixed, see above)

Another issue is screen refresh. On the registers it's noticeably quicker than older versions (apparently due to using the .NET 4.0 framework), but on screens with graphics (such as the budget screen and loan details screens) the refresh is appallingly slow. I have a very fast PC with dedicated graphics cards, and this makes no difference. This isn't just a slight nuisance, it's practically unusable.

There are other annoyances too, which have been there a while. You still cannot create trend graphs for multiple categories, where the graph shows the breakdown (for example Food, Food: Groceries, Food: Dining out etc). Also, you cannot budget by summary categories, you have to include sub categories and go through a process of moving rollover between categories. Example, if I have Personal Care:Equipment and Personal Care: Activities. I might want to budget $500 for both, but not specify an amount for each. These features have ironically been available on Mint.com (also owned by Intuit) since 2009.

Finally, I understand the mobile side of Quicken 2014 is being updated too, so your old version won't work. This will be released on Oct 1st.

How important these things are to you, may simply be down to how you use the product - but when paying $100+ for a bit of software, which has to be renewed every 3 years, you might expect better. With no viable competition, Intuit really has no incentive to do so. My recommendation; if you're on 2011 or earlier, upgrade. If you're on 2012 or later, it might not be worth it.
44 comments| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 1, 2014
Once again, every three years Intuit forces Quicken users to buy a new version in order to maintain online banking and investment services. Since I'm dependent on these, I had to buy Quicken 2014 to upgrade from Quicken 2011.

And, once again, I had the same experience: Paying for and installing the new program, launching it, and -- seeing basically the exact same program I had three years ago. It looks identical, with (it seems to me) no new features, no navigation improvements, no improvements in the way reports are formatted and printed, the same retirement planner that's been in there for years. (And by the way, I really hope that planner works, since I'm depending on it for my retirement plan. I'd feel a lot better if it seemed like someone at Intuit had bothered to look at the thing in the past 15 years.)

I get the impression from the Amazon listing that there are new online cloud-based options with this version of Quicken. If so, they're impossible to discover from the interface, and Intuit doesn't even bother to give you a little wizard to introduce you to any new features or help you set them up.

And as a final sign of indifference to its customer base, I should also mention that once again, Intuit tries to force its existing customers to pay more for the new 2014 version via its own links inside the product, whereas you can save $30 by avoiding that channel and just buying it here on Amazon.

It's kind of a mystery to me that no one has come up with serious competition for this product, either as a software application or a web-based service. Intuit hasn't ever even bothered to produce a real Mac version of this program, much less incremental improvements in the Windows version that could justify upgrades and/or a higher price. It's a useful program, and I'll keep using it since it's the way I've managed our money for years. But wow, is there a lazier monopoly out there than Quicken?
11 comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 10, 2013
I upgraded to Quicken 2014 Premier because my 2011 version would run out soon, the PC software is OK, very few changes from 2011, and what changes there are wouldn't convince me to buy this software if I didn't have to.

The mobile app, which I had high hopes for, I had to uninstall. 2 issues, it literally eats up your battery. On my cell phone it was responsible for 84% of my battery usage over an 8 hour period, even though I had only opened the app once and logged off after using it. I also turned off any notifications. On the tablet it was a little better, but still the quicken 2014 app was the largest user of battery time. The second issue was with my bank, on the PC version Quicken had no trouble connecting to my bank, on the mobile version I got nothing but error after error trying to connect, I tried changing the log on, tried re-installing, and most anything else I could think of. (I thought the bank issue might be responsible for the battery issue, so I deleted the bank account having the problem, but the next day the battery issue persisted)

When, and if, they solve the battery issue I will try the mobile app again, but I hope in the future Quicken looks at adding investments to the mobile app, and any mobile apps will be compatible with the previous versions of Quicken. We shouldn't have to buy a new desktop version to get a new mobile app as those who bought 2013 had to.
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 29, 2013
I am a 20-year user of Microsoft Money and Quicken (switched to Quicken in 2009) after MS Money bit the dust. My previous version of Quicken 2011 required upgrading to continue the online services, so I really had no choice.

What a mistake!

Despite the fact that I am meticulous with my data and keep several backup copies, this version of Quicken "broke" my connection to Quicken Bill Pay. Now I have to enter my bills into my register manually instead of enjoying automatic download. I have also noticed several inconsistencies in the way it downloads my investment accounts (Schwab).

Of course, if you've ever dealt with Quicken support (I have several times over the years), then you know that they are just about the most incompetent, unresponsive outfit out there. Always promise to "escalate" your problem to their tech team, and then you never hear from them again.

I've had it. I spent the last two days converting to Moneydance. Although the Moneydance interface is a bit spartan, the software does seem to work really well, particularly the online services with my accounts.

Bottom line for me: Goodbye Quicken. Intuit has disappointed me for the last time and I will be asking for a refund. Moreover, I really wish that Microsoft Money was still in business as it was far and away a superior product.
11 comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 6, 2014
I am a Quicken 2011 Premier user, and therefore is being forced to upgrade since online-related services for the 2011 version is being discontinued.

I purchased the online version of the 2014 version, and was immediately dismayed to see that the software required Microsoft .Net version 4 to run it. Reliance on that software is just asking for trouble, and my upgrade experience proved it.

After installing the software (which was Revision 5) and starting it up for the first time, the software began its conversion process of my 2011 file. About 90% of the way through, the software would crash and close. Each time I restarted it, the same thing would happen within a few seconds. I have not been able to successfully get past the conversion process, and therefore have been unable to use the software. I am not looking forward to dealing with Intuit customer service, which I have no doubt will be piss poor, and probably consist intellectually challenged personnel telling me to reinstall the program and then to reinstall Windows.

Update: after reading other reviews where buyers experienced crashes but eventually were able to complete the conversion process after a couple of restarts, I did it 7 times, and each time, after 10 seconds, the software crashed.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the software, but that did not help.

I started up the software without loading my quicken file, and used the software's validate and repair function to see if there was anything wrong with my original file, but there was not.

I had the software restart with a new backup copy for conversion, but it crashed at exactly the same point as the original file.

Also, as a result of the .NET installation, my computer (which has a solid state disk drive) now takes 50% longer to boot up (now 36 seconds, previously 24 seconds). Microsoft's .Net framework is a poor choice of bloatware to use as a platform for Quicken.

This software deserves zero stars, and I deserve my money back from Intuit.

Update #2 (Jan. 6, 2014): Quicken customer support and the advice provided on the Quicken website failed to work, but fortunately, some Quicken users have found a solution and posted it in the Quicken forum. Ironically, Quicken support still hasn't figured out the solution for themselves or adopted the fix disclosed in the user forum. For starters, the advice by Quicken to "update to the latest version" is actually the source of the problem. The conversion process worked fine for the R4 release, but was screwed up in the newer R5 release, so the solution is to reinstall Quicken, cancel the automatic update, manually install to the R4 update, undergo file conversion, then update to the R5 version. When upgrading to R5, the existing file will undergo another mini conversion. The crashes that occurred were the result of bad code from that attempted to perform the R4 update and the R5 update back to back. By performing the file conversion in two separate stages, the problem is averted. Nevertheless, Quicken still deserves zero stars for this experience and the incompetence of their customer support to figure out problems. The should hire Quicken users to troubleshoot things, rather than Northern Californian computer science majors.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.