Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 237 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 272 reviews
TOP 100 REVIEWERon June 25, 2014
The author seems to have derived a plot that other authors have shied away from for fear of alienating Earth's most populous nation and, potentially, most lucrative marketplace.

On the other hand, the writer substituted stereotypes in several of the key roles, resulting in a good read, but not a great book. In the old days, character arc was not so common in novels, partly because books were limited to only about 200 or so pages. Nowadays, however, character development is THE major factor, which is why books ballooned to 400, 500, 600 pages. With Amazon Kindle and Apple iBooks, etc., number of pages is less critical to trees. But, use those pages to develop real characters, at least for the three or four central stars of the story.

Mind you, Vaughn Heppner will sell a lot of books if he keeps writing this quality of story. But, he won't rise to the stardom I sincerely believe he can achieve if he will develop original characters who laugh and cry and ache and love and whom readers can become invested in.

Other than that advice, in light of the great number of reviewers Heppner has already attracted, all I can say is, I also am a fan who is interested to observe this writer's career, for I am confident he will be as prolific as Isaac Asimov and Stephen King.

Like many other reviewers, I've already purchased several of his other novels in this series.

I found that I had mistaking lay rated this book only three stars. I had intended to give it for stars, since I do like it very much.
on May 24, 2017
this series is a really good read. perhaps one of my favorite "military fiction" types besides the arisen series. If you are looking for another military badass-who-takes-on-all-comers and comes out smelling like a rose every time....this is a great time waster for you!
on December 27, 2014
Very good book. It was slow starting but soon got really good. Actually. I can't tell exactly WHEN it got so good because it came on me so suddenly. The amazing thing is, the plot was frighteningly REAL. I know it was fantasy, but to save my life, it was so within the realm of possibility that I began to wonder if this had actually happened but we just hadn't been told. Anymore, our government has so many clandestine things going on, that one never really knows what is fiction and what isn't. This author either has a fantastic imagination, or he is on the inside of something and is writing from experience. I HOPE it is the former.
on January 17, 2015
hello, I absolutely love this book, I cant really find nothing bad to say about this book. The characters are great and you easily connect to them and you understand why they do what they do. The setting is also great, and the motivations of the nations involved makes sense given the current situation of the world in the book. The timeline is also a welcome add as it lets you know how things got to where they are. This is a great book especially if you are a fan of Clancy, or the movie red dawn. I liked it a lot and plan on buying the other books in the series.
on April 21, 2017
Good book to read!!!
on January 4, 2015
There are six books in this series. Invasion Alaska, California, USA, Colorado, New Your, and China. The only thing bad that I can say is that the story concluded with Invasion: China. I love a series like Robert Parker's Spenser for hire. Parker died last year but I've seen pictures of Vaughn Heppner and he is no where near as old as Parker was.

I'm now going to have to continue to read his other books. The guy is good at what he does.

Pat Price
Kindle Author
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2012
I enjoyed the book. It was a decent length (a good 10+ hours or so) unlike many kindle ebooks and there was plenty going on to keep the pages turning. Main drawbacks were ridiculously rushed ending (clearly preparing a sequel, but it left me feeling cheated), lack of detail in major plot areas and over-repetition of some details (I must have read about tanks not being able to go fast over the ice in case of creating a wave underneath at least 8 times!). If this author can learn to finish off a story satisfactorily, I would like to read more from him.
on January 19, 2016
I was hesitant to rear this at first, not knowing the author or any of their other works. I was pleasantly surprised by how often I found myself making time to read a few chapters. I realize this is a "what if" storyline but it kept my attention quite easily. I will be getting the next installment to see how the storyline progresses.
on August 28, 2012
On a whim I decided to download this book to my Kindle. Actually the cover graphic intrigued me. All I can say is that once I got into it; it was hard to put down. I could never imagine being ivaded but Vaughn Heppner wove a story that is all too possible in the near future. As I read the novel I wanted some serious "payback" and found myself so enthralled in the story that I began looking up the locations on Google Earth.

Actually I was hoping that this was the first in a series, but alas it's not. Come on Vaughn what's next for Stan, Paul and Red Cloud? I want some serious Payback!!!

One thing that really hit home as I read the novel was how the world completely abandoned America and left us on our own to fight the Chinese until Canada stepped up late at the last minute to aid us. I wonder if that's what it would be like? Interesting thought isn't it? Although with all the talk of cutting military budgets and troops I wonder if we could possibly end up with a "threadbare" military like before WWII and leave ourselves vulnerable for another Pearl Harbor.

Buy this book and you will be thrust right into the middle of Invasion Alaska. You'll want to buy a warm parka, boots gloves and winter camo and head north to Alaska. You won't regret reading this novel.
on October 1, 2015
Since it took places wehre i grew up was a fun read