Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Invested Life: Making Disciples of All Nations One Person at a Time
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Shop Now

on September 3, 2012
I bought this book because I have enjoyed and learned from Joel Rosenberg's other books, and I was interested to learn more about Dr. T. E. Koshy's life. I was not expecting God to use the book the way He did to open my eyes.

I've been growing more excited about and obedient to Jesus for 20 years since I really chose to begin living for Him in high school, but I still desire to be much closer to Him than I am. For some time, God has been nudging me to approach a more mature Christian to ask about meeting regularly and learning from them. Through this book by Joel Rosenberg and Dr. Koshy, the Spirit really opened my eyes to Christ's clear example and His commandment in Matthew 28 that I should be seeking a discipler. I have further been shown that I should be seeking a younger believer(s) that I can come alongside and help grow in their faith, to re-invest what has been given to me, so that the number of Kingdom harvesters is multiplied.

I can't wait to get started; I am already praying for God's guidance to identify the right discipler, and that God would also reveal to me any younger men that I should begin to disciple. I appreciate the emphasis throughout the book that we should proceed carefully, following the leading of the Spirit rather than jumping in as we think would be best. Rosenberg and Koshy also stress that by doing less "more efficiently", rather than trying to serve in too many ways at once, we will more successfully invest in the Kingdom. Their advice is that discipleship should be central to any other ministry involvement that we have such as teaching, pastoring, worship ministry, etc, and it is the most important way we can invest our time.

The testimonies provided by the Rosenbergs and the Koshys were also uplifting. In particular, the stories about the miracles God worked for evangelist Bakht Singh (the taxi story) and the Koshys (being given the house across from the international student office) were very encouraging. I have witnessed God's work as a direct answer to my prayers several times, and each time I've been awe-struck at His caring for me and His responsiveness to prayer, but not often enough...because I have not prayed enough. The testimonies in the book are wonderful examples of amazing things God does through people who are daily making themselves living sacrifices to Him, and these stories refreshed my desire to be in daily prayer and worship of Him.

I highly recommend this book and have already begun telling people at my local church about it.
on September 3, 2012
Joel Rosenberg wants to counter the push toward seeker-sensitive church. It's not that it's completely wrong, he simply understands the church to be about bringing people to Christ as well as helping them mature in their faith.

Rosenberg and Dr. Koshy bring us into their discipleship process in this book. You'll gain some new tools and some fresh ideas on habits of old that are still valuable.

There are nine chapters in this book. Each chapter builds on the previous one to help you move forward in your discipleship.

1. Two simple question.
6. Get Started
7. Go Deeper
8. Worship Together
9. Track Your Progress

At the end of each chapter is a personal testimony to give that personal touch to this book.

Very simply, this is a how-to book. It will give you the preliminary tools and ideas to get started in investing in others and allowing others to invest in your life.

You may feel like you'll want to seek out more challenging/practical books for when you've been through the process.

This book was provided for review, at no cost, by Tyndale Publishing.
on September 5, 2012
I just finished reading The Invested Life: Making Disciples of All Nations One Person at a Time by Joel Rosenberg and Dr. T. E. Koshy this morning. It was an extremely helpful and thought-provoking book. It was obvious through the testimonies shared in the book that both Rosenberg and Koshy are highly qualified to write a book on discipleship as they have been both the discipled and the disciplers at different points of their lives.

"Who is investing in you? and Who are you investing in?" These are the two questions that Rosenberg and Koshy center their book around. Using biblical principles, these men outline in this book what a discipling relationship should look like. They believe that it is the prerogative of every Christian to be actively engaged in discipleship. They believe this because this is the pattern that Jesus and other New Testament believers followed as well as the directive that Christ left us with before He ascended into heaven,

"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them inthe name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:19-20

Once Rosenberg and Koshy made their case for the importance of discipleship in the Christians life, they proceed to give very practical and helpful advice for how to both seek out someone to disciple you, as well as how to begin discipling others. The book reads as a manual for any Christian who is ready to begin obeying the part of the Great Commission that commands us to be a part of the disciple-making process. Interwoven in the directives of disciple-making are testimonies of the authors and their friends and families who have been involved in discipleship. The real-life stories give credence and life to the advice and promptings given in the book.

I would not say that this is an emotionally gripping book. Rather, it is very factual, Biblical, and motivating towards discipleship relationships. If you read this book willing to learn from it, you are going to leave feeling the need to be more involved in the lives of your fellow believers.

I would definitely recommend this book, but only if you are committed to changing where you see a need to change. If you have been looking for an opportunity to be involved in discipleship, or have been looking for ideas regarding how to disciple someone, this book will be a great asset for you. However, you should not read this book if you are not willing to step outside of your comfort zone and get involved in the process of discipleship.

We have been put here on earth for a reason, and we have been chosen to be a part of this Christian community for a reason. God did not intend for us to "go it alone." Not only did He leave us the Spirit to guide us, but He has also given us a host of fellow Christians with whom we can, and should be ministering, fellowshipping, and growing . . . that is, we need to be involved in discipling and being discipled.

---------

I received this book for free from Tyndale House Publishers for the purpose of reviewing. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
on September 4, 2012
The Invested Life, a new book on discipleship by Joel C. Rosenberg and Dr. T.E. Koshy is a great biblical and practical tool for Christians to learn from, grow in, and use with others. By implementing the Scriptural advice in this book, you can partner with God's Spirit in turning believers into disciples, which of course is our Lord's commission to His church.

The objective of The Invested Life is pretty straight forward. The authors advocate that every Christ follower should be able to answer two simple, yet profound questions: 1.) Who is investing in me? and 2.) Whom and I investing in?

As a church consultant and ministry partner who serves churches and young adults by helping them create a biblical model of discipleship, I consider this new work was a fantastic introductory. There is a growing awareness for the need of intentional discipleship in Western Churches. The evangelistic crusades of the 1950's placed a high emphasis on conversion, but many believers were left at the altar as spiritual infants. Rosenberg and Koshy are determined to change that tide among this generation. They define the three characteristics of a Disciple as 1.) having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ 2.) a personal relationship with an older, wiser believer, and 3.) relationships with younger believers.

Grounded in Scripture, The Invested Life teaches that disciplers should look for F.A.T people to disciple. The acronym stands for potential disciples who are faithful, available, and teachable. These themes are fleshed out by showing how Jesus modeled discipleship in the calling and making of the twelve.

Though the authors and I differ slightly in our theology of spiritual gifts and the purpose of the church as discussed in chapter 7 "Go Deeper", The Invested Life, no less offers a Scriptural mandate for relational discipleship.

I received my copy of The Invested Life free from Tyndale House Publishers in exchange for my honest review.
on September 6, 2012
As a pastor, I have a heart for discipleship. So, I was excited to get my hands on this book. This is a practical manual on how to be a Christian disciple and disciple others.

Authors Joel C. Rosenberg and Dr. T.E. Koshy point to key figures throughout Scripture who had mentors who discipled them, and in turn, they discipled others--for example Jethro who mentored Moses and Moses who then mentored Joshua, Elisha who was discipled by Elijah, Jesus who mentored his twelve disciples, and Paul who discipled Timothy who then discipled other faithful followers and so on.

Discipleship is in the Christian tradition, in the Christian blood. It is something we are called to do. The authors sound that alert that today, though, we seem more interested in spreading the Christian message far and wide (which indeed is something we are called to do), but we lack in leading people into a deeper walk with Christ and do not truly disciple and train followers. While we of course cannot disciple everyone, the authors say we as Christians are each called to disciple a few (a small group around us), just as Christ did.

The book walks through defining discipleship, how to be a disciple, following Jesus' discipleship model, how to prayerfully choose who will disciple you, how to get started discipling others, and how to track your progress with a discipleship checklist.

If you are a pastor, lay leader, or mature Christian who seeks to disciple others, or if you are someone who seeks to be discipled by a mature Christian, this is a useful, beginning, step-by-step book about how to go through the process.

*Tyndale House Publishers provided me with a complimentary copy of this book for an unbiased review.
on January 30, 2015
This book ended up being just what I hoped for--and more. The hoped for part was a thorough walk-through of discipling philosophies and practices. The "and more" were the stories after each practical chapter of those who are engaged in this rich work of rooting men and women in a life with Christ.

The book avoids unnecessary pushes in denominational or doctrinal directions that aren't held by nearly all churches (too often a mark of "next step" or discipling books). And when the authors do push in a certain direction, they offer biblical support and don't use dogmatic language. Of course, Joel Rosenberg is a professional writer alongside being a teach of the Word--he knows what he's doing here.
on September 29, 2012
2 simple questions, 1 great read, that's what Joel Rosenberg and Dr. T. E. Koshy's book, The Invested Life offers. The 2 questions are:

1. Who is investing in me?

2. Whom am I investing in?

The goal is to make disciples of all nations for Jesus Christ one person at a time.

From challenging Christ followers to have a big biblical vision and laying out the first baby steps to pursue. The Invested Life lays out a process to not only answer those 2 simple questions, but to live out that answer in a transformational way.

Yet the book is not only a step by step process to live out disciple making, it is also the story of how the disciple making process has worked and continues to work in the lives of the authors and those they have discipled. I loved the combination of here's how you do it, and here's what it has looked like in our lives and the lives of others.

I appreciated their affirmation that their approach is not the only approach. That sense of humility as well as honesty makes this book a great tool to build a discipleship relationship. They do not provide formulas to follow, but models to emulate. It's how they learned discipleship, and how they teach their readers to fulfill the Great Commission.

Even more than the steps that are given and process to follow, there is a reliance on God and coming to Him in prayer. He leads the process. As they say, "We don't choose whom to disciple. God chooses for us."

My one criticism of the book is their answer to the 1st question, "Who is investing in me?" Their answers and suggested answers always focused on finding one older than yourself. That is probably the typical relationship, one farther along in the journey of faith. Yet as I grow older, I find myself also learning from those younger than myself, for they open my eyes to new ways to learn from God.

I give The Invested Life 5 out of 5 stars. The topic, the models to follow and the stories that are shared make this a great read for those who want to invest in others and see that we all grow to not only follow the Great Commission, but watched it fulfilled.

My thanks to Tyndale Publishing for a free copy to review. My only requirement in receiving a copy of the book was to provide an honest review. Thank you Tyndale for providing a great book to read.
on September 26, 2012
This writer does not waste his words. Neither does he conceal his thoughts. One of my sons is a theologian, parish priest, and he has taken one of my copies with him when he attends a conference This book is a very relevant Wake-up call for the church where the quality of the coffee is more vital than the saving of souls. This is not a relaxing read but it is well worth investing your time in reading it. Buy it, read it and share it.
Gillian Holby.
on June 3, 2014
We think of evangelism as "Get them to make a decision for Christ and then disciple, which consists of sending them to a six-week class." We are commanded to make disciples, not converts. No instant evangelism. This book clearly makes that case. Discipleship is an investment of time, talent, and resources. Great book!
on September 20, 2012
In his latest book, The Invested Life, Joel C. Rosenberg, along with his mentor the late Dr. T.E. Koshy, have penned a "how to" book for answering the biblical call to discipleship. This book is extremely timely, and very much need for the Church, specifically in America, as a whole. We live in church time that seems to be hyper focused on growing programs and growing numerically, but not necessarily spiritually. We may have taken the Gospel into the world, but somewhere along the line it seems as if we've failed to truly disciple young Christians. A book like this one will go a long way in remedying that particular dysfunction within the Church.
However, this book is not simply a call to disciple others, but is also a call to be disciple. The book causes the reader to ask two major questions: who am I investing in and who invests me? It was the question of who is investing in to me that gave me the greatest pause. Yes I have people in my life who I consider mentor like figures, but how actively do I submit myself to them as a disciple? To put it another way, how close do I let them get to me? You see in order for any of us to grow, we need people in our lives that will challenge and encourages us to be more like Christ. We need people to be investing in to our lives, so we can than invest in the lives of others.
One of the best aspects of this book is the fact that it not only gives the "how to" of biblical discipleship, but the book also shows what that looks like and the benefits of, through personal testimonies. One of the best is, "Gandhi", you can read it here: [...]