Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 8, 2017
Great book for beginners. I buy these to give to people who have given no thought as to how to prepare for their future...and there are a lot of these. I was one of them, and thankfully I woke up in time, so I have made it a point to try to urge young people to give some thought to their financial future. This book is very accessible to someone who "hasn't got a clue." Several people I know began saving and investing as a result of reading the copy I gave them, and it is going to make a world of difference to them when they reach retirement age. So if you are one of the people "without a clue," this is the book for you.
on March 17, 2015
This did a good job of demystifying a lot of investing concepts. Having done some additional reading since, I can say that this was a very solid introduction and I'm happy to have had the opportunity to start here as opposed to having to wade through the dregs of the internet trying to find clear, concise information.
on May 25, 2013
I can speak as a beginner on the subject matter. My expertise on investing is limited to a couple of introductory college classes that indirectly covered personal investing. For me, this book made investing MUCH more approachable. It's a quick read - you can probably complete the book in around an hour or less. I wish there were 50 more books like this about various topics!

The book provides a great foundation to start from if you know little to nothing about investing and want to get started. That said, if you know a decent amount already (can hold a water cooler conversation about investing) you may not find more than a handful of helpful facts and this book probably isn't for you.

Bottom line: if you're an investing noob then get this book and it'll be a 30-60 minute investment well worth the return. If you already know the basics about investing this will be too easy for you.
on January 21, 2012
The Perfect book for that someone who has an interest in learning about investing. Over the last couple years I am continually asked about investing by friends, family and coworkers, as I always have an investing book on my desk at work or coffee table at home. I have YET to successfully pass on enough or right information that someone actually pick's it up enough interest to learn more. I have tried several ways from sharing my Investing Policy Statement, recommended books, web sites..ect. I think I have finally found the perfect book to pass on that beginner or to that someone who wants to be a DIY investor.
on October 3, 2011
As I write this review every other review for this great little book gives it five stars and that is well deserved.

For new investors, or for ANY investor who is not really (and I mean *really*) sure they are on top of things, this book is where to begin. It will show you the big picture and give you a clear view of every important aspect of investing for the long haul.

There are other books that go into more detail or that have more rigorous theoretical discussion. Some have very entertaining histories and anecdotes, but most of those swamp the beginner in side issues or details one can't appreciate without the concise overview provided here. There are also many other introductory books, and I have read a few, but this one stands out for its clarity.

You actually don't *need* any more than is in this book, but if you start to dig into the resources listed at the end you will probably want to dig deeper and learn more. When I came across this book I had already read most of what it lists in the Resources section and can say it contains a great selection.

I read this book after about six months of self-education about investment strategies and can say that it covers all the important aspects in a highly organized way that is easy to follow. After reading this I bought three more copies to give to my (adult) children. I didn't think any of the other books I read would have been of any use to them. Perhaps after they read this one they will follow up on their own.
on April 1, 2012
Very excellent summary with compelling rationale for how to manage your investments. Of course, for people who are not day traders this is so simple a primary message is what you need to ignore: Ch 5 (Don't bother picking stocks), ch 14 (Beware the Hot Fund), ch 15 (Turn off the television), ch 16 (Steer clear of stock-picking newsletters).

An example of the clear and intelligent writing: 'Be wary of any claim by a financial advisor that he can reliably pick stocks or funds....' Now the justification: 'if most fund *managers* can't beat [low expense ratio, tax efficient] index funds, why should we believe a financial *advisor* who claims that he can? Remember, trying to beat the market is a fund *manager's* full-time job. Financial *advisors* have to spend time meeting with clients and performing marketing activities to find new clients. Researching stocks and mutula funds is, at best, their third-highest priority.' [my emphasis added]

The coverage of what you actually need to know and do is excellent:

Types of accounts

Risk and return

How to know how much you need for retirement

Asset allocation and risk tolerance

Thinking long term

Automate your investing
on July 26, 2017
I bought this book to help me invest for my retirement and Still reading in my spare time but I am understanding so far
on July 30, 2017
Great book and easy to read. I skimmed it in half an hour. Index funds are the way to go and I like how the author gave examples of what a Vanguard or Fidelity portfolio might look like.
on November 11, 2010
Hi,
For some this book will be a great starter for others it will be all they will need to begin investing for the long term. For me I thought it was a start but after researching more, learning more, evaluating more complicated trial investing scenarios/porfolios, I came full circle and ended up with a keep it simple stupid (KISS) portfolio of index funds, both stocks and bonds, and 1 REIT index fund. A similar investing scenario that Mike Piper's book, blog and Bogleheads advocate.

Thanks Mr. Piper!
Mike Foate
on May 8, 2014
My favorite book on investing is David F. Swensen's "Unconventional Success: A Fundamental approach to Personal Investment" published in 2005. Unfortunately, my friends and family consider Swensen's book too dry and academic, so they don't read it cover to cover. Mike Piper's book, in contrast, is a much shorter read and provides sound advice that parallels Swensen's guidance. While Swensen presents an academic study showing frequent rebalancing of a portfolio adds 1.1% to returns, Piper tells readers it's a good thing to do but doesn't quantify the potential positive effect on investment returns. So in summary, Piper's book is helpful, informative and readable.