Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on August 9, 2016
I must disclose that I don't usually like Best Sellers, and my pattern is holding true. There are parts to like about this book - I think the descriptions of the welfare hotel and the lives led in such places is actually important reading. For that alone, this book does an important job. I felt at times we were wallowing in people's "goodness" - and their reward is a best selling novel and the money and fame that goes with it. However, I don't really think that was the writers intent. I would probably suggest (like another reviewer did) that if you want to read the book - borrow it from the library. It is a quick and easy read. Take the money you would have spent on it, and do something nice for someone - like buy an elderly neighbor a cup of coffee and have a chat, or give the money to a local food bank.
11 comment| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 17, 2017
Incredibly moving. The novel goes so much deeper than just the relationship that developed between Laura and Maurice - this is about their own individual journeys - and despite coming from different means - had so many similarities. Life can be hard - at the end of the day we all come with baggage - and while painful the journey of life is how to overcome this (whatever parts that we can). Finding a way to forgive those around you who may have done wrong brings a great deal of peace as well. Having grown up with an emotionally abusive parent - and having to come to terms with that / forge an adult relationship and carry on - this hits home in so many ways. Regardless of your baggage - you will get something incredibly positive from this read.
on March 22, 2017
Wonderful and inspiring journey shared by unlikely folks. It was written in the first person and spans decades of a relationship that was "meant to be." The locations involved in the story are familiar to me--New York City, Mamaroneck and Long Island--even the Westchester Country Club in Rye (which was next door to another golf club at which I worked for 30 years.)

Courage, determination, open-mindedness, growth of spirit--all displayed throughout the pages. I stayed up until 1am, reading for two straight hours to finish the book and being grateful that my Kindle battery didn't fade before the final page.

I'd highly recommend "The Invisible Thread" for anyone anywhere.
on June 20, 2017
This book really walks you through the other person's life. Unless you've been exposed to this kind of a lifestyle you have no idea what these kids might go through or what their everyday life looks like. You can really get a good Glimpse and appreciate the everyday life style of people who have just basic needs met, food, clothing, lodging and parents that that do this for them. It's hard to Fathom a world out there of kids that don't have people that take care of these basic needs, but there is a lot. If you work in the education system or in the social system you will understand this and you will understand this book but even then you still can't even imagine what these kids go through everyday.
Thanks for the memior.
on December 29, 2017
Read this in 3 days, I was so engrossed. Could've read it in one without interruptions because I was so intrigued. I live in the rural West and have not known too much the lifestyle of drug addicts and homeless people.
The thing wasn't reading about that, however; it was the true story about how much we all can learn from experiencing the pure and innocent love of a child. Being the mother of four children myself, this book has taught me much and given me ideas of things I want to do better, and helped me appreciate what I have.
on January 5, 2017
A wonderful heart-warming story about a young black street boy, and a youngish white woman who found him begging on the street in New York City. He told her he was hungry and she took him to McDonald's for lunch, a place he had never been to before in his short 11-year life. This became a ritual for them they agreed she would take him to lunch every Wednesday. The more she visited with Maurie, the more she recognized his uniqueness, and wanted to help him even more. Their weekly visits turned into more and more visits with him as she came to know him.
Maurice lived in a welfare tenement with his mom and grandmother, along with various uncles and unknowns. Laurie lived in an upscale apartment in New York. The chances their lives would cross was nil; however, their weekly visits became Holidays and birthdays as she kept in touch and invited him into her world and into her life.

Their friendship lasted a lifetime and on her 50th birthday, Maurice gave a toast to her to a large group of her family and friends.

As I read this book, I put it down as a work of fiction, only to find out that is is indeed a true story of how they helped each other to overcome hardships as well as joys in their lives.
on February 18, 2017
Two stories in one. Maurice's story left me with hope for the hopeless, proving that love does overcome even the most destructive patterns of abuse, neglect, addiction and poverty.Laura's own childhood was both "normal, middle class, American dream," and at the same time behind closed doors, terrifying, guilt-ridden, and filled with shame and secrecy. Telling her own story was an act of courage by both her and her siblings. By bringing into light the truth of the suffering that all family members endure when a member struggles with the debilitating disease of alcoholism, she reminds us that addiction has a ripple effect and it does not discriminate. No one escapes unharmed, no matter age, race, education, background, income or social standing. Despite or because of this she is drawn to Maurice, befriending an 11 year old pan handler. Because Laura follows her heart we are left with a sense of hope that reminds us the cycle of addiction and poverty can be reversed despite the bleakest of circumstances. And even children who are neglected and abused can become hero's. We can't save the entire homeless population, but by paying attention to just one person in need, we can change the course of generations to come. This story would have made great fictional reading, but the blessing is that it's true and was shared with us.
on February 21, 2018
The book an Invisible Thread was written by Laura Schroff. This novel is a New York Times bestseller and tells the true story of a long-lasting friendship. Schroff formerly worked with many companies like USA Today, and People Magazine and grew up in Long Island, New York and currently lives in Westchester NY.

Laura Schroff was walking through the busy streets of Manhattan when she passed Maurice. He was begging for money and she decided to take him to lunch at Mcdonalds. This was the start of a long friendship that would change both of their lives and make them better people. Maurice hides the true terrors of his world, including his drug addicted family and his dangerous home life. Schroff continues to support him for years becoming almost a second mother to him. They manage to keep their friendship strong even though they come from two different worlds.

A running theme throughout the book is that no one never knows how you will affect someone's life and how someone's influence can change the future. By writing this book, she shows that an upbringing doesn’t have to define someone as a person. Schroff"s influence on Maurice helped him understand that he didn’t have to turn out like the rest of his family by going not going into the drug business.

I enjoyed this book because it was very honest and gives an insight on poorer communities of NY. The book was happy for the most part and a good read. I like how throughout the book you can see Maurice and Schroff progress into different people. Despite the good qualities of the book, a flaw would be that she talks too much about herself. She should have tried to show both perspectives more.

I would recommend this nonfiction novel to teens and young adults. It provides insight of those less fortunate and what their lives can entail. I would not recommend this book to someone with a problem with the topics of physical abuse and drug abuse.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 21, 2014
I was drawn into this story from page 1 ..I happen to love true stories so this was right up my alley. Being a "proud New Yorker I enjoyed reading about places I was familiar with..this book was Written well and easy to follow
I have always worked with students who came from underprivileged circumstances so I had no trouble relating to this book..I was and sill am able to see past what is and see what could possibly be.. We can all be, positive role models to those we meet along "the road of life". It's teaching those to learn the skills that make things palatable and helping those rise above what others may think is their destiny..
Do not know if I could have done all that the female lead did but she went with her gut feeling and in the end her gut feeling was right on target..she had as much a need to connect with the young man as he did to her...both had difficult choices to make which influenced their lives....some were right for them while others led them down a precarious path.. That's life..
I think we are all connected to various people with an invisible thread is that thread that tugs at our minds hearts souls and spirit making us do things we thought were impossible therefore turning an I can't scenario into an I can situation ..
I highly recommend this will not be disappointed..
on May 31, 2013
"An Invisible Thread: The True Story of an 11-Year-Old Panhandler, a Busy Sales Executive, and an Unlikely Meeting with Destiny" is a book that has heart. Spoiler Alert: Please know you will cry at various chapters in this book -- male or female.

It is a story of love conquering one of the most dire and, unfortunately, a most common problem in our world -- addiction.

Maurice Mazyck was on 56th Street right around the corner from Broadway. He was hungry. He was 11. He asked Laura for some change to buy food.

Excerpt from Page 1 of "An Invisible Thread":

"Excuse me, lady, do you have any spare change?"
This was the first thing he said to me, on 56th Street in New York City, right around the corner from Broadway, on a Sunny September day.
And when I heard him, I didn't really hear him. His words were part of the clatter, like a car horn or someone yelling for a cab. They were, you could say, just noise -- the kind of nuisance New Yorkers learn to tune out. So, I walked right by him, as if he wasn't there.
But then, just a few yards past him, I stopped.
And then -- and I'm still not sure why I did this -- I came back.
I came back and I looked at him, and I realized he was just a boy...he was a child -- tiny body, sticks for arms, big round eyes.

Laura decided in that moment to give him food instead of money. In that moment, Laura Schroff unconsciously took on the adventure of her life -- sharing the love she had with someone vastly different from herself.

There's not much I can say about this story other than the meandering prose allows the reader to become fully immersed in both Laura's and Maurice's lives in a way that is uncommon. The story is told with brutal honesty. Nothing is spared from us. We see the pain in both of these people's lives. The childhoods of both Laura and Maurice was not ideal which is why, in part, Laura was open to the idea of helping someone else. But it was more, much more than that original impetus.

The story unfolds slowly and inexorably drags you under its tow so you cannot resurface until you reach the end. Beautifully woven between the key events in both Laura and Maurice's lives you will not view the world the same way when you finish reading An Invisible Thread.