Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 171-180 of 2,388 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,641 reviews
on June 12, 2013
I thought that this was such a heartwarming and yet heartbreaking story. It touched me deeply and made me grateful for all that my family has. As a mother of an adoptive child, I can relate to the invisible thread. It is a bond to another human being that fate , destiny or as I believe, faith has brought together. It is a beautifully written story and about how these two strangers changed each others lives forever. I think that teenagers should read this book to appreciate all that they have. Too many take for granted even the simplest things such as food. Maurice is an example of what life could be like without a supportive family. Laurie restored my faith in people again through compassion and trust. If you liked the movie The Blindside, you will love The Invisible Thread
on March 28, 2014
My daughter was assigned this book to read for a college course called "Social Problems" at Salve Regina University. She asked me to read it so I could participate in a paper she needed to write so I did. And I'm so glad I did. This was a beautiful and true story about a busy and successful New York woman who crossed the poverty line to help a child in need - on a whim because he was asking for food. What resulted from that one act was a mountain of good. Many lives were changed for the better. This story is inspirational and touches on what is good in the world and what needs fixing. But most of all it is about the ability in all of us to make a difference.
on February 12, 2017
A truly amazing and eye opening read. Being grateful spans just so much, it's almost a cliche to say be grateful. Everyone has some issues and very few have a charmed life. Without the ups and downs of life we know we are very much alive and to appreciate all of the good and bad so that we are persevering, courageous and yes grateful.
on August 3, 2015
Excellent book. My 11-year-old son recommended it to me, and then I suggested it to my 13-year-old daughter and 65-year-old mother and father and everyone loved it. Written in a very straightforward manner, which I found refreshing, and the story was inspiring and heartwarming. It made me want to go out and make a difference. It was not preachy in the slightest. Just a great, easy, fast read that really made an impact, and opened the doors to wonderful conversations between generations.
on May 15, 2017
Very pleased with our purchase.
on April 16, 2013
Once in a while, reading about a true experience really grabs you and stays with you in ways you don't even understand. That was my experience with this book. I've recommended it to others, researched the youtube videos of both Maurice and Laura (which you shouldn't do until AFTER you read the book, ok?) and discussed the book with everyone in my family. What a powerful story of two people that never took advantage of the other and kept their relationship honest and respectful, as true friendships have to be. Alex is the king of the wonderful writing style that helped to get Laura's story told in such a meaningful way. The same style and combination worked so well in another touching true story "Waking up in Heaven" where Laura wrote the foreward, which is the reason I bought it.
on April 27, 2015
This was a book club selection for me. While not everyone liked the book, we had a very good discussion about the main characters. Most doubted that we would have been able to become involved.

We were disappointed that Laura choose to marry when her husband was opposed to her friendship. We reminded ourselves that it took place in the 70's when feminism was coming into its own.

Still a remarkable story of the relationship between a upper middle class white woman & a very, poor, black boy.
on January 23, 2013
I ordered this book after seeing an interview with the two principles in the book on the Mike Huckabee Show. Laura Schroff was selling advertising for a national newspaper when she met an 11-year-old panhandler named Maurice Mazyck. It delves into their chance meeting on the streets of NYC and their relationship that grew over the years as they shared burgers and chocolate shakes at a nearby McDonald's. Maurice came from a broken family that was laced with drugs, alcohol, and just about any sort of vice you can imagine. However, Laura's homelife, while appearing to be typically middle class and nurturing from the outside, was also a home filled with violence caused by an alcoholic father who was abusive. The book tells it all and shows how a simple act of kindness changed the lives of two people...forever.
on January 18, 2017
Almost finished - cannot wait until I have time to start reading it again - one more day left - very emotional, real and makes me want to be a better person!
on June 15, 2013
If you want to be happy, give of yourself. If you want to be happier...give more of yourself. A story of a woman and a child's path crossing each others. What develops is a story that touches your heart. Courage and commitment. As Dr Suess writes..."To the world, you may be one person. But to one person...you may be the world."