- Minimum RAM: 128
- Mac Compatible
Iomega eGo BlackBelt Mac Edition 1 TB FireWire 800/FireWire 800/USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive 35115 (Black)
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Versatile - Multiple connections with two FireWire 800 ports, and one USB 2.0 portable
- Stylish - Compact black design with included black Iomega Power Grip band slips easily into a backpack or briefcase
- Rugged - Perfect for travel environments, the Drop Guard Xtreme feature protects the drive when dropped up to 7 feet!
- Secure - Receive backup software solutions when you purchase Iomega eGo Portable Hard Drives for Mac.
- 3 Year Limited Warranty - with product registration
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
From the Manufacturer
Durable, Portable eGo Hard Drive Lets You Take Your Data with You
Rugged design and multiple connections, too. With two FireWire 800 ports and one USB 2.0 port, the Iomega eGo Portable Hard Drive, Mac Edition, FireWire 800/FireWire 800/USB 2.0, offers interface versatility for Mac users and a stylish design. These drives are formatted HFS+ for a great out-of-the-box experience. Plus, Iomega Drop Guard™ Xtreme is included so you can be confident your portable hard drive is sturdy! Available in black with included Power Grip Band.
Iomega eGo Portable Hard Drive, Mac Edition, FireWire 800/FireWire 800/USB 2.0, 1TB
Iomega® Protection Suite Included via DownloadIomega® Protection Suite is a comprehensive collection of valuable software to protect your data and computer that includes Trend Micro™ Smart Surfing for Mac (12 mo. Subscription), Iomega QuikProtect, and MozyHome™ Online Backup service (up to 2 GB free, 12 month subscription).
* Contents refers to number of songs, photos, orhours of video saved on a hard drive. Contents are calculated as follows—Songs (MP3): 128 kbps bit rate using 11:1 compression ratio, 4 min/song; Digital Photos: 2.5MB per JPG photo using a 6 mega pixel camera; DVD Video: 5.5 Mb/s (2.597 GB/hr) data rate. These examples are for illustrative purposes only. Results will vary based on file size and format, settings, features, software and other factors. One gigabyte (GB) = one billion bytes. One terabyte (TB) = one trillion bytes.
Top Customer Reviews
1) First off, the hard drive's ruby red color is not as bright as the Amazon photo. It's a darker red, which I prefer.
2) As with most portable hard drives, it is very quiet. Sitting a foot or two away from it, you should barely hear it, if at all.
3) This hard drive does not spin down after a certain amount of inactivity (unlike, for instance, a WD Passport, which spins down after 10 minutes or so of inactivity). You may or may not prefer this, depending on what you use it for. I use mine as a Time Machine, which backs up my hard drive every hour. I prefer the fact that it doesn't keep spinning down and spinning back up every hour (many argue that this is worse for a hard drive than simply leaving it on all the time, but there are varying opinions on this).
4) I wouldn't say the hard drive runs hot. It feels warm to the touch when idling all day like mine. However it may get hot if being used for constant data access. The only time it has felt somewhat hot is when I did the initial ~200GB backup of my hard drive.
5) This hard drive works well for daisy chaining. I have it connected to my MBP via Firewire 800, and I have a Firewire 400 external hard drive connected to the Iomega. NOTE: If you have the Iomega connected to your computer via USB, you cannot daisy chain a Firewire device.
6) Size-wise, it is a bit bigger than my (USB-only) WD Passport but it is still fairly compact.
7) The exterior feels like plastic, but the box says that the case is made from aluminum, so I'll trust that it is.
8) The light on the back of the drive is VERY bright. It actually projects light onto my wall.Read more ›
IOMega is hoping you will miss it in the user manual otherwise it is only one year.
Immediately I contacted Amazon for an exact replacement. Today the second Iomega Ego came, and I repeated the same procedure, but this time floating the drive to avoid overheating. It did not help: Although the top casing did not separate as badly as the first one, it did pop up. With the first product, I thought it was just quality control issue, and it was a fluke; but now that the problem is repeated with this second product, I do not think it is a coincidence.
Iomega is an early supporter of Mac and Apple, and I like supporting Apple partners; but unless they design this better, I would not get this particular product. I travel a lot and in need of a sturdy portable hard drive. Wrapping this beautiful Ruby Red drive with a duct tape beats the original aesthetic intention of the designer.
I have yet to download the software that they provide links and registration numbers for. Kinda wish they came on the drive, but other than that I have no complaints.
When I shut down the Imac for the night the drive does not go down completely. The blue, very bright action LED and power stays on even when the Imac is turned off. I thought maybe something was wrong with the Imac and tried it on a less than one month old Mac Mini with the same results. In the morning the drive power (not platter rotation) was still on and fairly hot. I decided to try the USB connection.
The USB worked very differently than firewire. The speed for Time Machine is more than adequate. Doing a complete new 32gb Time Machine backup using USB was very little difference than firewire. The drive barely got warm. During sleep time the drive stops rotating but the light stays on and it stays just slightly warm. It wakes up in about 1 second and does the Time Machine backup without a hitch when called upon. My old USB would take sometimes a minute to acquire before saving the backup. This one is immediate.
In conclusion, the drive is very well constructed and solid. The firewire is fast and accurate. I would recommend that firewire be used to download big files on occasion and not left connected for a long time due to generating a lot of heat that can't be good for longevity. The USB is excellent, runs cool, and works as it should. Highly recommended.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Just what I was looking for. Took me a few minutes to figure out how to configure it, but was easy once I broke down and read the online directions. ;)Published 10 days ago by Dave Smith
BUYER BEWARE ! These hard drives work very fast and reliable, however --- The internal hard drive controller WILL fail leaving the hard drive useless. Read morePublished 5 months ago by Claus J.
This broke. Just stopped working. When I needed it. It will no longer be acknowledged by my Macbook Pro. Just stopped working. Read morePublished 7 months ago by S. Kennedy
After several years and many journeys, it still keeps going. The firewire 800 never worked for me though and sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect for my laptop to recognize... Read morePublished 11 months ago by IvanL
I used this drive with a MacBook pro - it outlasted the Macbook and is still going strong years later. I've never had an external drive last this long. Read morePublished 15 months ago by witgenstein
I've had this drive for four years. Well. Kind of. Despite it being used primarily as a desktop external storage (ie almost never moved from the top of my desk, I've had no less... Read morePublished 20 months ago by hrk