Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 49 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 53 reviews
on July 23, 2013
I bought the CD Direct Conversion Turntable after reading rave reviews on both Amazon and other sites. I also found a few negative reviews, but nothing to give me concerns.

The turntable failed after less than 60 days - hardware failure, the "Record" button simply wouldn't work, which rendered it useless for purposes of music transfer. I then started my long odyssey with ION Customer Service. Forget any rave reviews you have read about ION Customer Service - people who write these either haven't actually used the service or are hallucinating. E-mails weren't answered. Phone calls were on hold for at least 15 minutes. It took days to get a return authorization. When I got it, I found that I had to pay the shipping back to the service center - $33, not negligible. I sent the unit back and waited for over a month with no word. After 5 weeks, I finally called - spent 15 minutes on hold - and was told that I would get a replacement, it was not clear when, but that I would get an e-mail that night giving me details. Needless to say, the e-mail never showed up (and no, it was not in my spam folder, I checked). Finally called again ten days later, and after 30 minutes on hold was told that (for whatever reason) they cannot give me a replacement, but that they can give me "credit" toward a different unit. I asked for my money back, and was told no.

I will do my best to use the credit, but they are not getting any more money from me.

To add insult to injury, I got regular e-mails asking me to rate their products, and to recommend them to family and friends.

Don't deal with this company. At best, you'll end up throwing good money after bad.

Update, 2 weeks after being told I would get "credit" toward a different unit:

I got e-mail from service tech #1, giving me a list of 6 companies from which I could redeem my credit. Service tech #1 told me to deal with him personally, that he would make sure that I got a replacement. He told me that he was sure that I would find "something I would like" offered by one of the companies on the list. However, the only company offering USB conversion turntables was ION Direct. They had several turntables on their website, I sent back a prioritized list of 8 which would be a suitable replacement. I heard no more from service tech #1.

About a week later I heard from service tech #2. He told me that none of the turntables on my list are actually available. He suggested another turntable, whose cost is listed as ~$100. Well, counting the original cost of the CD Direct plus the shipping charge to send it back for "warranty service", I had spent over $250. I asked service tech #2 to send me a list of the turntables that are available now, along with the cost of each. I also pointed out that I had spent much more than the cost of the suggested replacement turntable on the CD Direct, and asked for prices on some other products so that I could order something else to spend the full credit. He promised to get me price and availability info "ASAP". That was a week ago. I'm still waiting.

We'll see if I hear anything else about the credit. I am not hopeful. If I had never sent the thing back for service, I would not be out the $33 for shipping and would have a turntable which would play LP's (though it wouldn't do anything else).

Another update: after posting the previous update, ~2+ weeks ago, I heard from service tech #2 again. He said that he had gotten authorization from his manager to send me the iLP conversion turntable (apparently the only one which the warranty department has available) and another product. The iLP cost is listed as ~$100. The iLP showed up about a week ago, the second product has yet to appear. Service tech #2 does not answer repeated e-mails. I figure that ION Audio still owes me ~$150, which I very much doubt that I'll see again in any form - refund or "credit" or products.
on July 11, 2013
If I'd written this the week in which I received it, I would have had a much different review(it's my fault). That aside what I can say now is that this thing is great. The only problem I experienced was the blank CD's I chose, it would appear that it likes "Verbatim" and not "Memorex" and I don't know why. I had a failure rate of 2 out of 3 discs in recording. I contacted the ION tech support, who gave me a download for my computer and advised me that the "Verbatim" was of better quality. Well I had a problem with the firewall on the computer but the "Verbatim" works like a charm when direct recording.

The unit fits well on desk and I can work and listen to all the great stuff you can't find anymore(50's/60's). As I work for myself, the boss is happy with the set up. I kept the box for storing the unit after I transfer all my stuff to my computer for later use if something comes up.

I've had other systems years ago that took special discs, this thing is simple to use and sound transfer is great. On the rating scale of "Buy it", try it", or "Pass on it", this is a definite "But it".

Enjoy
on October 25, 2012
Is incredible. Fast, easy to do, clean, sharp and crispy sound when you finish the transfer. One more time, amazing and incredible for the price!.
Only it need is the audio cassette transfer function.
on October 17, 2013
The only reason I did not rate it 1 star is that I may have only received a "lemon" that does not represent the average performance of this product; I'll never know, since it's too late (2.5 mo) to exchange it for another one. I got it for my dad who lives out of town, & only had the opportunity to learn to operate it when we visited about every other weekend. We were attempting to convert about 4 LP's direct to disc, which should require about 2 cd's......it took about 5 cd's to complete the process, because each one failed between 1/3 & 2/3 into the recording; "Disc Error " is displayed, & you cannot finalize. (Not a total loss, as my dad doesn't have any other playback machines anyway).

Thinking it was somehow "Operator Error" I brought the machine home to try on my own collection of LP's. A friend said to try a fresh pack of cd's (the first ones he had given me were 4 years old) but the new ones didn't work any better. I tried setting the thermostat a little cooler (79 to 76) thinking it might be overheating. No change. Sombody else said to try Sony brand discs, that they're the best. By now, I had 3 successfully finalized & 5 incomplete. The Sony discs improved the odds at 3 more successes & 3 incomplete.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the left speaker/channel would cut in & out, no matter the quality of the LP, whether Mono or Stereo.

By now, I've tried everything I could think of, but it was too late to return it. So my advice:
Since it's time consuming to determine the failure rate, if any, get it done in the 1st 30 days. Another reviewer here suggested to try to get your entire transfer done before the warranty expires.

I don't expect Hi Fidelity for this price, but with a failure rate of 50% I'll be looking for a better product to complete my own collection.
on March 4, 2013
Relatively easy to use, and a quality product. I love being able to transfer my vinyl to other media and the recording quality is great!

The sound quality from the built-in speakers is surprisingly good, but I would not recommend using it as a standalone unit.

Solid build and not bad looking, either.
on May 2, 2013
The concept is great, transferring 45 records onto a CD. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Approx. 26 records can be recorded on one CD-R. It is time consuming, but fun to listen to the old records. After about record 23, the machine "announces" disk error and will not allow you to finalize the disk. I lost five disks and hours of time. ION suggested using Sony disks as opposed to the Memorex disks. Same problem occurred. Other problems: the turntable plate was off balance, creating a nasty rumbling sound and after a few hours of play, the tone arm no longer returned to position after playing the record. To add insult to injury, I had to pay $20 to return a defective machine!!!
on February 24, 2013
The first CD Direct Conversion Turntable arrived defective....the turntable would not turn. I contacted Amazon regarding the problem and without hesitation Amazon provided me with the UPS paperwork to have the defective unit picked up at my house and at the same time notified me that the replacement unit is on the way. EXCELLENT service from Amazon. The replacement unit works fine....does exactly what I want it to do...convert my 50 plus year old LP records onto CD's.
on September 1, 2013
The software which came with the machine would not load songs into Itunes. I found numerous complaints about this by other purchasers. Was able to download an earlier version, which does enable me to get into Itunes by a somewhat cumbersome process. The software is not very user-friendly, and I have had to start over several times, for example when I hit the enter key instead of the shift key by mistake when trying to type tract labels, and could find no way to recover other than starting over.
on December 28, 2012
It meets the product description. Easy to use. This was a gift to my husband who would not have been able to use the software to convert on a computer so he has already done several CDs and thinks it is fabulous. Has a great sound and with headphones even better. Have connected speakers and these compliment as well. As we live in Australia had to buy a step down converter but no problem. Would like the manual to have the specifications.
on September 11, 2013
I bought this after reading the reviews and am very happy with the product. I had no trouble figuring out how to use it and was easily able to record from a record to a CD. I set the decibel level to 20db and it automatically created all the tracks on the CD. Recording quality was excellent. So easy to do! I have lots of records and will be busy creating CDs for them. Using the output on the back, I hooked it up to my preamp and it sounds great through my speakers. The sound without the external connection is not high quality.