From the Back Cover
Food Irradiation Research and Technology presents the latest scientific findings of researchers at the leading edge of food irradiation. In this book, experts from industry, government, and academia:
- define the basic principles of irradiation and the public health benefits of irradiation
- describe advances in irradiation technology, detection technology, and radiation dosimetry
- review the regulations pertaining to food irradiation and the toxicological safety data
- provide food industry representatives and public health officials with effective methodologies to educate consumers and counteract misinformation
- review recent advances in the irradiation of meat and poultry, fruits and vegetables, seafood, and the use of irradiation as a phytosanitary treatment
Food Irradiation Research and Technology appeals to a broad readership: industry food scientists involved in the processing of meat and fish, fruits and vegetables; food microbiologists and radiation processing specialists; government and industry representatives involved in the import and export of food commodities; and industry, local, and state officials involved in educational efforts regarding food irradiation.
Food scientists and technologists share a responsibility to ensure that educational materials provided to the public regarding food safety and processing technologies are based on sound science and fact, not on misconceptions. Food Irradiation Research and Technology meets that goal.