Industrial Deals Beauty Ghosted Shop women's shoes nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. New Moto G6 64 GB | $299.99. Save with Prime Exclusive Phones. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Customer reviews

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(5 star). See all 13 reviews
on April 26, 2017
Great book
on February 16, 2016
Excellent for middle grade students to help them understand their autistic classmates. Described by a young autistic girl.
on October 19, 2012
This book is a perfect example of keeping it simple and keeping it understandable. The author did a creative job with her writing style. Highly recommend to ANYONE who wants a fundamental understanding of autism.
One person found this helpful
on March 26, 2012
This is has been a fantastic resource for our family...I've loaned it to several friends of my son's, & it has been vitally helpful in helping them understand his behavior & why he reacts the way he does in certain situations. As a parent, I appreciated having an "inside look" into the mind/thinking process of an individual with autism. I understand my son more than anyone else, but I still cannot appreciate the frustration, confusion, & bombardment of stimulation that he deals with all the time. I love that there's questions for the reader to think about. I love that the chapters are short so that it is not a "turn off" to a non-adult reader. I've got a couple copies so that as he meets new friends/classmates, I can continue to loan it out to his peers & their families. Thanks for writing such a practical, insightful book!
One person found this helpful
on August 23, 2008
I like Chelsea. She's Autistic. Her likes and dislikes are the same as mine. She likes french fries though. Yucky! I would like her for my friend. We wont eat french fries together. We would probably eat pizza. Only if it was plain cheese. Maybe stuff crust. That would be great.
I own this book. I am bringing it to school. Maybe if you read it you would want to be my friend too.
9 people found this helpful
on May 28, 2008
As I read this book, I felt as though at last someone was putting to print all the things I might have wanted to explain to my peers when I was younger. Wherever a child might be on the spectrum, I think these pages do a good job of explaining how we'd like to be friends but what makes it so hard to do so, and what simple accommodations could make being friends easier.

I think this book could be especially useful in a classroom or with siblings.

Zosia Zaks
Author of Life and Love: Positive Strategies for Autistic Adults
3 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon August 12, 2007
Chelsea, 11 has autism. She takes readers on a Magical Mystery Tour with her as she explains her sensory responses and how autism impacts on her every day life.

Autism, as readers will quickly learn from Chelsea is a neurobiological condition that affects sensory processing and language based on the severity of the condition. Readers will identify with Chelsea on some of the things she describes. People with autism and neurotypicals alike will find a literary friend in Chelsea. She is quite the tour guide!

This is the ideal book for classrooms and families. In fact, this is a book for everyone. Magical Mystery Tour is the ideal sound track for this book.
3 people found this helpful
on June 2, 2007
A Is for Autism, F is for Friend is a great read for people of all ages. If you or someone you know is interested in learning more about Autism definitely check out this book! Easy to follow & fun too, this would be an excellent book for the classroom or to share with your kids at home. My favorite part of this book is that it gives so many great examples that really shine light on what it might be like to have Autism. I am currently working on my Masters in Counseling and am adding this book to my resources and sharing it with others in my program. I know I will use this book when working with families that have a member dealing with Autism. Thank you for this wonderful book!!! I highly recommend it!
7 people found this helpful
on May 7, 2007
Finally, a book that will break down the day to day struggles of a child with autism into comprehensible bites. Ms. Velasco presents information that is vital to all students (and teachers) to understand the actions of an autistic child. When an autistic child enters the classroom, it can be distracting to the other students. "A is for Autism" helps explain why autistic students sometimes act differently than their classmates. This book went straight into my classroom library and has been checked out by students ever since.
7 people found this helpful
on April 25, 2007
This book provides a wonderful introduction to autism for children and adolescents. The main character, eleven year old Chelsea, takes us inside her world of autism. She guides readers through the challenges she faces each day and facets that are both usual and special about her life, allowing us to better understand this mysterious disorder from her point of view. She helps kids to see that each child with autism has different talents and abilities, just as we all have different talents and abilities. We may be different but we are also very much the same. Friendships can begin and grow when we try to better understand those things that make us different.

While this book was written with kids in mind, it held my interest and I definitely learned a lot more about the disorder than I knew before. I would suggest this book for anyone who is interested in finding out more about autism or reaching out to someone who happens to be autistic. I definitely recommend this book for children and youth as well as classroom discussion.
6 people found this helpful