Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Is Dave Matthews overrated?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 9, 2009, 10:42:54 AM PDT
Almostchris says:
In one word or less---YES! Even though I have the majority of his albums, he is highly overrated. Plus, his songs have gotten less interesting over the years; the melodies sound the same and the jamming has become tedious to listen to.

Posted on Jun 9, 2009, 3:48:46 PM PDT
TheBrizz says:
If he's so overrated, why are you still listening?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2009, 7:18:27 AM PDT
Almostchris says:
Because I'm open-minded and I love music. I'm not a fair-weather music listener that gives up on musicians. I still believe he is capable of writing much better songs, but maybe he has run his course...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2009, 6:41:43 PM PDT
Michael Lunn says:
I look at Dave Matthews in a different light than I did originally when Under the Table came out. I equate it to Guinness beer. Guinness is not my favorite beer now...however it was a gateway to the world of other fine stouts and ales for me and away from the stale beer of college days. This is the way I look at this Dave and the band. They were the gateway for me into a world of music (from Four Tet to Sufjan Stevens) that I do not believe I would have ever entered if it was not for him. Maybe not the best ever...but I do not believe that he is overrated.

Posted on Jun 11, 2009, 12:22:23 PM PDT
Samantha says:
I definitely think so, but I like DMB for the music, it's something different. A lot of people around me "like" them so they can go to concerts just so they can drink and smoke. So I don't actually know who likes them for the music or for that reason. And they just happen to along the way like a couple songs, that are randomly quoted. As a whole... I really actually don't know that many people who like them. But they are overrated, but I wouldn't say for the music.

Posted on Jun 11, 2009, 10:08:52 PM PDT
Steven C. says:
The band is fantastic, he's overrated and exhausting and his lyrics are lame. And you cannot use the "...then why are you listening?" comment towards me because I am definitely NOT listening. Most people had the positive review written before they heard the record because DMB followers are like a cult. But not a cool, good cult. More like Scientology.

Posted on Jun 14, 2009, 4:48:22 PM PDT
Almostchris says:
Good analogy, Michael D!

Posted on Jun 15, 2009, 9:47:04 AM PDT
Steven C. says:
Guinness is fabulous and historic. Comparing Dave Matthews to Guinness is like comparing Mike Tyson to Jesus. Horrible analogy.

Posted on Jun 15, 2009, 2:27:31 PM PDT
jed clampett says:
Guinness and Jesus? .... Mike Tyson and Dave Matthews!

Posted on Jun 17, 2009, 9:30:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2009, 9:31:29 AM PDT
Frow says:
Ummm....overrated by whom? Please clarify what you think is overrated, his songwriting, the music, the live experience, or the cultural phenomenon of DMB?

Though Big Whiskey has been getting some pretty good reviews, most of the other albums to my recollection have received mediocre reviews by the media.

True many times his lyrics are not revolutionary or Dylanesque, but again, I have not read too many articles saying he is the second coming.

As for the band's musicianship, they are certainly NOT overrated. Fantasic musicians.

As for the live shows, yes there is the party/teenie bopper factor--lets get trashed and go to a Dave show. This could be said for a number of other acts. Does a ton of Hawaiian shirted drunk adults wearing parrot hats mean that Jimmy Buffett is "overrated" as well? I dont think so, but have to admit I've never really "gotten" Jimmy Buffett though I can see why many like him and his band. As for the actual DMB concert, I think they put on a hell of a show, and a tight show. Very few of the jams are "snoozers." Is popular being equated with overrated?

So anyway, just some thoughts on this whole "overrated" thing. And I did listen to the new disc extensively before rating it. It bothers me just as it does some of you when people rate stuff on here before they have used the product or when they hail everything by a particular artist as 5 stars even if it is stinky. BTW, it also bothers me when they rate a product low because Amazon had shipping problems.

Posted on Jun 17, 2009, 9:59:06 AM PDT
G. Stouffer says:
I'm 42 (don't fit into the teeny bopper demographic) and have been to many DMB shows...two slated this summer. The guys are all very good musicians as individuals and, I believe, are great as a whole. Unbelievable energy when seen live. Can't wait to hear "Whiskey".

Posted on Jun 23, 2009, 4:53:56 PM PDT
T. H. Curry says:
Uh, opinion as fact. Gotta love the internets. Since my opinion is as valid as yours, NO DMB is one of the best working bands today (I would put Pearl Jam right there and the Chili Peppers a 1/4 of an inch below because their live shows have lost their punch).

Posted on Aug 17, 2009, 11:00:09 AM PDT
Bricktop says:
Steven C. comparing DMB fans to Scientology is just as ridiculous as the comparisons you're belittling, so try taking your own suggestions to heart.

As to overrated, you can't just say a "person" is overrated. What in particular is overrated? If you say everything, prepare to look foolish.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2009, 12:34:45 PM PDT
CandyGirlNJ says:
Woohoo! Go 42, I'm also 42 and agree :)

Posted on Sep 14, 2009, 9:43:08 PM PDT
HomoErectUs says:
IMO (I guess this thread is all IMO).

He was the best until he switched producers. His old stuff (Crash, etc) is better than his new stuff. I support him because he is the only guy that lets concert attender put their jacks for recording the concert (this was what he did in the past).

His listener supported CDs are top of the line (IMO).

Kayne West I won't support in my lifetime.

What he did at the VMAs and during his only episode of MTV's Punked shows what a [(sarcasm)] great Christen he is. That's how he got popular and then went totally immoral and secular (not that he had potentially to begin with; him and his huge jaw).

Posted on Sep 26, 2009, 4:39:46 PM PDT
Thomas Toal says:
almostchris..... i think maybe ur overrated lol. why do u have to post something negative? if u dont like it dont listen!!!! plain and simple!!!! this is dave matthews band best album since busted stuff in my opinion. they put a lot of energy and soul into this literally. so deal with it.

Posted on Dec 1, 2009, 5:07:42 PM PST
anubus says:
NO, but the foo fighters are.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2010, 7:52:25 PM PST
mr freeze says:
not only overrated but the fact that this crap was nominated for an album of the year grammy shows what a bad year it is for music

Posted on Feb 10, 2010, 7:47:49 AM PST
In general ,no. However surrounded by soooo much hype and a money makin' marketing machine. The last CD , one of his best. Live, totally over -rated ---not a jam band that for some reason mnay think it is.

Posted on Feb 25, 2010, 2:07:12 PM PST
ac says:
dave matthews isnt overrated..he is a fantastic musician with a fantastic band!! His new cd is very well produced,performed written sung-EVERYTHING!!!! ABSOLUTE GEM OF A CD!!!!!

Posted on Mar 5, 2010, 10:50:07 PM PST
Okay, okay... ENOUGH ALREADY! Funny the way it is, that fans have grown weary of him, while a former "hater" is falling in love with him. I used to think DMB WAS overrated, shallow back wash of pop culture pap crap. I wouldn't have anything to do with it and my eyes would roll when I met yet ANOTHER fan. That all changed when my boyfriend took me to a concert last year. I heard "Crush" and I was SOLD! SO... if DMB has the power to convert a hater into a die-hard and loyal fan... they are NOT overrated! Also, DMB had the most successful tour of the decade. There is something to be said for consistency and dedication and that is what draws fans and converts alike to them. Oh, and about the Grammys: Dave got JACKED!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Jun 9, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 5, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about
Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King
Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King by Dave Matthews Band (Audio CD - 2009)
4.4 out of 5 stars (304)