Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums iPhone 7 CM4 Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Halloween Amazon Cash Back Offer Transparent Transparent Transparent  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Use Your Illusion II forum

Is Metallica over rated

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 16, 2007 6:12:47 PM PDT
Is it just me, or does anyone else think Metallica is very over rated. To me it seems like almost all their songs are very repeditive or just very bland. Anyway let me know what you think

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2007 6:41:09 PM PDT
metallica is very overrated. it seems everyone that likes them suddenly sees how horrible they are right around the time the turn 20. seems like they get sick of the angsty ranting that is metallica's songs when they grow up and start listening to real musical talent. plus the whole band are jerks. especially lars, he doesn't deserve anything he has. the only people who like metallica today are teens, they're the new nirvana, another terribly overrated group, but infinately better than metallica.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2008 2:30:30 PM PDT
Tom Smith says:
I was a big Metalica Fan until the black album came out. I still like the black album, but its when Metallica changed big time. The life long fans know what I mean. Load, Reload and St. Anger suck!!!! I keep buying every album they put out. Thinking this is the one that will be good,so far I have been let down. I heard they have a new album coming out soon. Most people that I know have given up on Metallica and say there is no way they will the the new cd. I most likely will. Oh yeah Metallica in the 80's and early 90s not over rated. Metallica now yes they are very over rated or just forgotten by the true fans that made them rich and famous.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2008 5:15:43 PM PDT
i like metallica, mostly the early albums, black album, and 1 song from the load album but yeah they are a little overrated. i think system of a down is far more original

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 3:09:42 PM PDT
Iron Rooster says:
You know what, I agree. I listen to a decent bit of that type of music because I play a lot of music video games. I have CD's from many metal and rock groups, but none of them bore me except for the Metallica album I have. There's no doubt that they're talented musicians, but they're just boring. I played Battery in Rock Band 2. If it wasn't for the fact that you're faux-playing the parts, you'd fall asleep.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2008 10:25:59 AM PDT
sf says:
Metallica is now the only band in chart history to have five albums debut at No. 1. It breaks the band's tie with the Beatles, U2 and the Dave Matthews Band, all of who have four No. 1 album debuts.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 10:04:52 AM PDT
Nope. :)

Thank you; that is all.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2008 12:06:55 PM PDT
Overrated?
Overrated??
Yes. (DUH!)

Metallica, Nickelback and the like; insubstancial dribble that somehow made it through, in part to inexcusably bad taste and godless marketing. Some bands have a "sound" or "signature" or a "formula" that stands repeated battering (the Beatles) but Metallica's output is like one super long never-ending "song" trotting out repetitious, callus pseudo-reinvention. No chops, no props, no hall of fame.

Bring back the "Barbie song" please.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2009 11:32:02 AM PST
T-Dog says:
Brian,
Metallica reached their prime with Master of Puppets. After that - it's been all downhill. I'm not even impressed with Death Magnetic. It seems a desperate attempt to re-capture their youth - or to prove to themselves that they still have it. But, they haven't tried to progress musically. Kirk still plays the same solos over and over (PS - I'm also a lead guitarist - and after seeing shredders like John Petrucci & Michael Romeo from Symphony X - I push myself to excel - Kirk hasn't excelled at a solo since Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning ), James has lost the growl that made him one of the thrash metal masters - and Lars - still can't tune his snare drum.

I mean - if you want a great new thrash album from an awesome thrash band - get The Formation of Damnation from Testament.

Metallica needs to hang up the straps and retire.

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 9:09:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2010 9:16:09 AM PST
Chet Fakir says:
Everything up to and including And Justice For All is worth having, after that, not so much. Though Death Magnetic holds some interest for me, primarily because it sounds like what they should have written after Justice, I borrowed it from a friend so they wouldn't have my money. I lost my respect for the band at the black album.

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 8:27:09 AM PDT
NRS3 says:
Old Metallica (ending at ...And Justice For All) isn't. After that, they probably are overrated. They didn't progress much if at all since 1990.

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 10:37:18 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 28, 2014 2:11:42 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Jul 16, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 9, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about