Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > OK Computer forum

Is Radiohead your favourite band?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 23, 2007, 3:43:46 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 13, 2007, 12:08:00 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2007, 8:11:36 AM PDT
YoungGrace says:
Yes, I do consider Radiohead to be my favorite band. Honestly, I could care less about U2.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2007, 2:00:37 PM PDT
Dan says:
I definitely consider Radiohead to be my favorite band. I've never looked forward to any other band's upcoming albums as much as I do for Radiohead's. And U2 are complete sellouts nowadays. Their new music has none of the significance that makes their early work so admirable. However, like you said, I do believe Bono is a good person for his philanthropic endeavors. Radiohead are just in a different league altogether. Their music is true art.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2008, 1:49:48 PM PDT
Not my favorite in the least, but I do appreciate the quality of their music. I've tried very, very hard to like Radiohead in the past, but never really broke through with them. I've listened to "OK Computer" several times as well as their more experimental "Kid A" and "Amnesiac." I can hear glances of the so-called "genius" that true fans have claimed Radiohead possesses fully, but I haven't quite found them to be as such.

I do feel they're a tad bit overrated because I don't feel Thom Yorke's vocals are as intriguing as the music itself. A little lazy...and that's completely not what the music is, which I openly admit to being pretty damn good. If Thom weren't such a strange fellow fitting for a padded room, I'd probably enjoy the band more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2008, 10:53:37 PM PDT
Zer-o-jimm says:
They're up there

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2008, 12:54:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2008, 12:55:31 PM PDT
C. D. White says:
in response to the question...nothing is absolute to me in that way but they're the band I have listened to the most in the last ten years....I have pretty much everything they've released officially as well as quite a few things that they haven't officially released

...and this album(OK Computer) is a big reason why

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2008, 1:56:15 AM PDT
Dylan says:
Pearl Jam is my favorite band. Radiohead is second.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2008, 12:41:48 PM PDT
Interesting.. Pearl Jam was my favourite band between 92-97 - until OK Computer was released. Now I'm not sure I'd put 'em in my top 100.

Posted on Apr 27, 2009, 8:59:04 AM PDT
jon says:
Their ok. A bit too hip but not bad.

Posted on May 12, 2009, 9:02:53 PM PDT
D. Taylor says:
I have all of Radiohead's albums and love all of them (though Pablo Honey is not a masterpiece, and arguably neither is Amnesiac).
About U2, though, their new stuff is sketchy. I didn't like How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb at all, but I loved their new one, No Line On The Horizon.
It's funny, though, with both U2 and Radiohead, I discovered them with their new albums (Radiohead's being In Rainbows), but their older stuff is totally different. Not sure which I like better.

Posted on Jun 24, 2009, 12:59:59 AM PDT
Vic Ferrari says:
I can't say that Radiohead is my favorite band but they are definitely my favorite band of the nineties and the zero-zeros. Ok Computer is my 3rd best album of all time and the Bends is my 9th favorite. Kid A and In Rainbows are in my top 100.

For all of you who can't give them glowing reviews, I urge you to give them another listen. Radiohead is often rejected on the first listen because their sound is so different from everyone else. But there is something hypnotic about it. Something about it attaches itself to your soul and becomes apart of you.

I never understood the comparison between Radiohead and U2. That's not true - you can compare anything with anything (if you feel moved to do so which I am not). What I mean is I don't understand why the comparison between Radiohead and U2 is a popular comparison. Here's all I have to say on the subject; I'm not much of a U2 fan although I think their Joshua Tree album is worthy of praise it does not come close to any of Radiohead's albums except maaaaaybe Pablo Honey.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2009, 10:38:36 AM PDT
D. Taylor says:
My first Radiohead album was "In Rainbows," when I started following the Grammy's and notices they were nominated for album of the year. Maybe it's just because it was my intro to them, but I still think it's my favorite my them, even more that "OK Computer," which is #3, right behind "Kid A."
The other 4 albums aren't nearly as good as those 3, but "The Bends" is pretty good, as well as "Hail to the Thief." "Amnesiac" is OK.
"Pablo Honey" is one of the worst debut albums ever made.

Posted on Nov 10, 2009, 10:43:21 PM PST
I don't have a favorite band. This being said, I cannot think of a group of musicians that have continued to evolve, surprise, and excite me ( continuously ! ) over the past decade any more than these 5 guys.

Although I had 'Pablo Honey' on cassette, it was 'The Bends' that became a huge favorite of mine, almost an obsession =)
I recall listening to it almost daily for about 8 months.. OK Computer, however, was really a left turn from that album, and the album I would now consider their 'masterwork'.

It actually opened my eyes to new sounds and gave me a new passion about music at that time.. around 1996-1997 there were several albums like that but none that I have thought of as often.

2000's Kid A I did not understand or ' get ' at all until repeated listens. After time has passed I can enjoy that album as being more organic than 2001's Amnesiac ( warmer ) yet similar in style and idea. Around 2000-2001 they released their awesome live recordings EP / album ' I Might Be Wrong ' which does a fairly good job of capturing the energy of their live sets, which are stronger in more Radiohead-centric audiences. Radiohead is better live than on record... if you can believe that. That live release should not be overlooked.

2003's Hail to the Thief is perhaps my second favorite for certain reasons although gets fewer listens than some of the others nowadays..

'In Rainbows' just blew me away and still does. They seem to have become so tightly integrated as a unit that it reminds me of Phish or the Grateful Dead ( except definitely completely Radiohead ). The sounds are great as usual and this LP returns them to the organic sound they developed on Kid A in a different style..

There aren't many groups I would stay up until 12 AM to get a new ( and donation-optional ) release as I did with In Rainbows. I then opted to purchase the higher quality files from somewhere as the original release from w a s t e . u k was encoded at 160kbps MP3 which to me, for a band like Radiohead, I want to hear them on the best medium with the highest quality files ( assuming digital music ) .

So, in a word, probably.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2009, 6:32:10 PM PST
No.

Posted on Nov 27, 2009, 12:28:20 PM PST
I love radiohead. They are an unbelievably clever band. Their sound has so much more depth than anything else out there. They are my favorite band without question. How you can even begin to compare U2 to radiohead is beyond me. Bono has got his head so far up his pompous ass that it has impaired his ability to notice how distastelful his own presence has on the rest of us. He seems to do good for the world as an excuse to walk around with a higher level of arrogance, rather than really genuinely caring for those he might aid. I think that he is in fact really insecure and thus needs to feel more important than the rest of us to cover up his own fears about himself. I would feel bad about that for him if he didn't flaunt himself so shamelessly as the single most pretentious and clueless rock star out there. I don't hate you U2, but you seriously urk me sometimes. Thom Yorke has in times past, expressed his frustration with the artificial cloud of superiority that the general public has raised it's stars up to. I too, have always felt the same, and am unimpressed by many famous people and especially if their contribution to society can be reduced to reality tv, magazines, tabloids, and blockbuster movies.

Ok, that's out of the way. When I first heard Pablo Honey, I liked Creep and Anyone can play guitar but I dismissed the album as another distortion loving band. If you watch live at Astoria though, you'll really see how that album wasn't recorded very well and that those songs could have been done better justice. The Bends just sounds like a classic rock album start to finish, except they posess a maturity that most bands cannot even come near. A debate for some time now: Which album is Radiohead's master work, Ok computer or Kid A? Radiohead claims that it is Kid A, but I can't help but disagree. As a musican, I can disagree, and present the fact that playing music and listening to it are too different things entirely. When a band finishes an album, they have heard it a billion times already, unlike the listener. Kid A has better lyrics, is a more true to itself as a concept album, it has a more original sound, and How to disapear completely is probably my favorite Radiohead song hands down. However, start to finish, Ok computer is more complex musically and it balances the abstract pop song with a film score feel perfectly. When I hear Kid A, I can only make out that film score sound and even though their are five members, on this album it sometimes feels like their are only four. it is an unbelievable album but I know that I listened to Ok computer alot more than it. Just because it has a more abstract artsy feel, doesn't make it more of a master work. All of their albums hold some value to me and I'm glad that they were made. Amesiac is probably my least favorite. Three of the songs are really good, but I can't listen to it over and over again. Maybe if those tracks were seperated onto different albums. The album playlist just doesn't agree with me. I make alot of mix cds and sometimes too great songs just don't belong next to each other. Amesiac's songs were the B sides to Kid A. None of the other albums were entirely composed of B sides. Here's how I would order their albums from most favorite to least. I'm going by how I felt about the album when it came out, and how much more I listened to it. Right now In rainbows is my fav, but that's only because I've heard the other albums a billion times.
1 Ok computer 2 the bends 3 In Rainbows 4 Kid A 5 Hail to the Theif 6 Pablo Honey 7 Amesiac
(the first four are very close to all being a tie for number 1, but that defeats the purpose of making a list)
Anyone who still doesn't believe in Radiohead's rightly deserved fame should also check out the mini albums, "Airbag-How's my driving" and "My iron lung." Those two made me decide that Radiohead is my favorite band ever along with the bends and Ok Computer. The band though has even stated that they don't believe that those previous albums would have the same effect on someone who listened to it today. They claim that how each album was shaped had a lot to do with the current time period, and that they don't think that any of them would be as successful if they were released during different years. This may hold some truth to it, but I thankfully will never know.
Do you agree or disagree with me? I welcome any comments as long as they are mentioned respectfully.

Posted on Nov 28, 2009, 7:33:40 PM PST
I agree with many on this thread that U2 and Radiohead hold no common ground.
Radiohead is very inventive. In listening to their songs I wonder how they put them
together. They seem to have a sound going on that no one else seems to be able
to peg. I picked up on the band with "Bends" and have never looked back. Saw them
live in Houston in May of 2007. I paid scalpers prices for my ticket but it was the best
money I spent in a long time. I am very close to 60 years old. My friends look at me
like I am crazy. But I know what I hear and I hear wonderful music.

Posted on Dec 5, 2009, 2:42:46 PM PST
S. ODonnell says:
After Radiohead came out with OK Computer-a true masterpiece-I realized every other Rock band will only ever try to accomplish something equal to it, but undoubtably will not have the talents to equal it's genius. Radiohead is to music....Elvis, or like the Beatles-music was never the same when Elvis or the Beatles became part of the music world. The same can be said about Radiohead. U2 are a great band, but they can't hold a candle to Radiohead-I laugh at that actually.

Posted on Dec 22, 2009, 11:06:21 AM PST
If I had to pick a favorite band, it would be Radiohead. They're brilliant, inspired, endlessly curious, ambitious, and bold enough to really follow what interests them, not Top 40 stations or record labels. May their genius reign ...

Posted on Jan 14, 2010, 11:07:24 AM PST
Obiturized says:
Not even close to mine

Posted on Jan 30, 2010, 9:42:28 AM PST
Tony H says:
they're in my top four w/ the beatles, animal collective, and modest mouse. not sure what order. they're a rare example of a band who gets better and evolves over time. can't wait for their next album (no idea how it'll sound, which is why they're such an exciting band.)

Posted on May 10, 2010, 7:58:33 PM PDT
I have to say after reading some of the posts here that Radiohead are overrated. While I would easily place OK Computer in my top 10 rock albums of all time, but there is SO MUCH other good stuff out there that doesn't get the visibility. And to those who knock U2, let's remember that U2's members are 50 years old! There was a time when U2 would have mopped the stage with Radiohead as a live act. I know because I've seen them both at their best.
For that matter, Radiohead isn't even the best live band to come from Oxford! Anyone who was fortunate enough to see Ride in the early 90's knows what I mean.

Comparing Radiohead's influence on rock music to the Beatles is silly. Radiohead is an outstanding band, but let's not overstate their place in the big picture.

Posted on Oct 4, 2010, 8:27:30 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 4, 2010, 10:26:20 AM PDT]

Posted on Dec 20, 2010, 10:50:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2010, 10:52:35 PM PST
Belie says:
I know that it has been months since the last post, but when I noticed the comparison between U2 and Radiohead (yet once again), I just had to comment. These are probably my two favorite bands of the past 2-3 decades, if not from the entire history of rock music. Other than the fact that they are my two favorite bands, I do not understand the comparison! Never have, never will. However, I absolutely cannot grow tired of anything that either of these two bands make. They are both always so original. With that being said, I know that many Radiohead fans do not like U2 and I can see why. But I'm not one. I need to be honest in this post, and in the grand scheme of things, I enjoy U2 more than Radiohead...there I said it. Now that's out of the way, I'll explain why these are two of my favorite bands and perhaps why I enjoy U2 more.

There's only three songs that I've heard in my lifetime that have left me completely in awe...EVERY single time I've heard them. Those being "A Day in the Life" by the Beatles, "Let Down" by our common love, and "Where the Streets Have No Name" by U2. I'm so moved by all of these songs. The last minute and half of "Let Down" is my favorite Radiohead moment and I'm sure others agree. In terms of modern music, Radiohead and U2 are in a league of their own. They are both very mature bands, that seem as though they'll never go away. I say this because each band's newest release, "In Rainbows" and "No Line on the Horizon," are both two of my favorite albums ever. From the two bands, here is my ranking of albums I like in order and this list is pretty much why I had to say I like U2 better...

The Joshua Tree
OK Computer=Achtung Baby
The Unforgettable Fire=Kid A
The Bends
War
In Rainbows=No Line on the Horizon

For the Radiohead fans that dislike U2, that's just fine. I only have one or two friends that like Radiohead or U2...I just guess some people don't get our love for creative music. I'm certainly glad that I get to be interested in both. Have a good day.

Posted on Feb 8, 2011, 6:04:00 PM PST
I'd say Radiohead and Tool share the spot for 1st place in my opinion.
Everyone loves OK computer. I actually don't like it nearly as much as the other albums, but it's still a masterpiece. Kid A, Amnesiac, and Hail to the Thief were just so much better (to me).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012, 7:28:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2012, 7:30:15 PM PST
Julian says:
I agree!! DEFINITELY my favourite band. The Beatles are a very close second. As far as I'm concerned, no band has ever come close to the genius of those two bands - The Beatles were definitely more innovative/influential but perhaps that was just a logical consequence of the fact that pop music (as we know it today) didn't really exist for very long prior to the 60s. I do like Radiohead's music better though; OK Computer and Kid A are the equal best albums I've ever heard.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  OK Computer forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Sep 23, 2007
Latest post:  May 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

This discussion is about
OK Computer
OK Computer by Radiohead (Audio CD - 1997)
4.5 out of 5 stars (2,306)