Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Watchmen forum

Is Watchmen appropriate for teens?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 16, 2011 1:31:22 PM PDT
Phloyd says:
I was considering buying a copy for my nephew, who is 14 going on 15 yrs old, but I don't know enough about the graphic novel. Is it appropriate for that age group?

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 6:56:08 AM PDT
A. Dettorre says:
Nope. It's definitely a mature book. There's nudity, extreme violence, and other adult themes. There's plenty of more mature comics out there that are fine for a teen. I recommend Blackest Night, Old Man Logan, Irredeemable, Ultimates, ultimate Captain America, and there's a whole lot more I can't think of. Avoid comics like American Vampire, the Boys, Incognito, Criminal, Nemesis, and Kick Ass. they're amazing comics but just too mature for a teen

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 11:03:36 AM PDT
Phloyd says:
Thank you for this info! It definitely helps...and I really appreciate the alternative suggestions!

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 9:51:21 PM PST
Definitely not. I had the unfortunate experience of reading Watchmen as a teen- and whilst I am now a huge fan of it as an adult, it scarred me as a teen. It's quite horrific and deals with everything from pedophilia to murder on an apocalyptic scale. It's very dark. Of course if your nephew is a bit more mature, perhaps you could watch the film to judge properly. But yes, if your looking for a mature comic for your nephew, Ultimates and Ultimates 2 by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch are both very wise choices. They're mature books and the storytelling is fantastic with lots of widescreen action. The worst it gets is wife beating, and whilst it is quite a horrific scene it's maybe the most disturbing scene in the book. Watchmen goes far beyond that in terms of disturbing the reader. It's an excellent read and I would feel absolutely fine with my 15 year old son reading it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 6:42:04 PM PST
Phloyd says:
Thank you so much for the advice. Now I'm intrigued by Ultimates since both posts recommended it...I might have to read that one myself!

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 6:32:52 AM PST
Yes. Ultimates was recently voted the best comic book of the decade, and rightly so. I would reccomend Kick-Ass as well- you can also judge from the film (the book is a little gorier) but a good generalization would be if you were fine letting your nephew see Kill Bill, then he'd be fine reading Kick-Ass. Invincible is also another good suggestion, and perhaps Marvel 1602 as well. Also Dark Knight Returns and the Long Halloween, both of which inspired the recent Chris Nolan Batman movies. If your nephew likes Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man is fantastic (although it is quite a bit long- start with Power and Responsibility, the first volume) as well as Amazing Spider-Man by J Michael Straczynski, another classic. Probably given you a bit too much to look at, but all of these titles (with the possible exception of Kick-Ass- which is more hyperviolent for comedy purposes rather than to disturb readers) are fit for teens.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 6:58:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2011 7:03:12 AM PST
Phloyd says:
I'm not a regular comic reader, but I loved the film Kick Ass! These suggestions are great-- I don't know a lot about this genre, so more info is way better than not enough.

ETA: I just looked up Ultimates and there are a ton of titles-- do you know which is best to read first? i saw "Ultimates Vol 1 - Super-Human" and another title called "Ultimates Comic Avenger - Vol 1" ??

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 12:12:52 PM PST
C. D. Gay says:
not the ones that say "avengers"

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 3:00:02 PM PST
Frankie D says:
It depends on your kid. It is a dark comic. Shows superheroes have messed up lives and are not really nice guys. Twisted on so many levels. Thought kIck ass was a aawful movie. If your kid can watch that then they can read this book. Your nephew should read some of the X-Men comics or Avengers that they have that were rebooted. Batman Death in the family is a interesting story. Main thing I say is take him to Midtown comics or somwhere they have a wide selection of comics.

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 5:28:14 PM PDT
Derek Otto says:
I teach Watchmen in an elective class for 11th and 12th graders. I wouldn't ever teach it to 9th/10th graders due to the mature content and because most of the impressive depth in the writing. Give him a couple of years and go with some of the above suggested.

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 9:56:05 AM PDT
Mike Lane says:
Interesting. I read it when I was 12 and loved it from the start.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Watchmen forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  May 16, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Watchmen
Watchmen by Alan Moore (Paperback - November 1, 1987)
4.6 out of 5 stars (1,624)