Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 190 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 215 reviews
on March 1, 2014
A lot of what I really like is not necessarily mainstream (my boyfriend says I only listen to things nobody else listens to), but I like all kinds of music. I have never felt super compelled to encourage people to listen to what I am listening to, except in rare cases like this.
Many of you may be thinking that you have never heard of this band. I hadn’t either until I was sort of half watching The Voice last fall while reading, and heard one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. I look up and sitting there playing the piano, singing with Christina Aguilera, is this kind of doofy looking dude. I don’t judge much on appearance, but it is rare to see in any performance industry. I was so drawn to that song I looked it up to find out who that was and what the song was. The song title is “Say Something”, and the band is A Great Big World. They are two guys who met at NYU studying music. They had done some stuff previously but rebranded themselves in 2012 and things kind of went crazy for them. Their song “This is the New Year” was performed by the cast on Glee and was used in promo spots for the finale of this years The Biggest Loser.
The songs are upbeat with a positive message with only a few exceptions. The downer songs like “say Something” and “I Don’t Wanna Love Somebody Else” are beautiful and relatable to everyone at some point in their lives. I suppose there are people that have never experienced heartbreak or loss but they are few and far between.
My six year old daughter’s favorite song that she now requests all the time is “Rockstar” and is all about following your dreams. There is not a single song on this album that I have to skip or turn down for fear of her repeating inappropriate lyrics, which I love. There are a few songs “Land of opportunity”, “Everyone is Gay” and “Cheer Up” that have kind of a goofy feel to them, and a few lines that actually made me laugh out loud, but still have a good message.

The lyrics are well done, interesting and (my favorite) not overly repetitive. The music varies from simplistic but hauntingly beautiful like in “Say Something”, “I Don’t Wanna Love Somebody Else” and “Already Home”; to steering wheel drumming upbeat like “Rockstar” to calliope carnival music in “Cheer Up”. There is not a single song on this album that I did not thoroughly enjoy.

The music video for Say Something is beautiful and heart wrenching
[...]
The Tobuscus parody is awesome and hilarious
[...]

The Pentatonix version is also amazing
[...]

Check out more reviews on books, movies, music, video games and all things geek at [...]
Ian Axel and Chad Vaccarino formed their duo band in 2012, naming it "A Great Big World" from part of the lyrics of their song "Cheer Up" ("It's a great big world and there's no need to cry") and listening to this album is definitely a cheery experience.

I do admit to a special fondness for "Say Something" and we're treated to the two versions on this CD, the one with just the band and the one with harmonies by Christina Aguilera. And that song is definitely not in the cheerful category, more plaintive and sad and, IMO, just plain beautiful.

So I bought this for that sad song and ended up very happy with all the other more cheerful songs on the album. This is the kind of music even an older generation can like. I mean, after all, how can you go wrong with a musical group whose go-to stop on the road is Whole Foods? (They're avid juicers.)
on August 13, 2014
I heard their song "Say Something" ft. Christina Aguilera first on the radio. I decided to take a gamble and buy the album without listening to any of their other songs based on my affinity for the one song. I am pleasantly surprised with the songs. It's whimsical in all the right ways. The songs are diverse in their tone, but consistent in their messages. There are sadder songs on the album like "I Don't Wanna Love Somebody Else" and "Already Home," and there are more upbeat tunes like "Rockstar" and "This Is the New Year." I'm especially fond of the messages of self-acceptance and self-love, and the overall optimism that streams through the album.

I highly recommend it.
on March 12, 2014
Here's how I found this CD/this group: I heard the song "Say Something" with Christina Aguilera singing...on a television program or on-line, don't recall. So I came onto Amazon and searched Christina's CDs for "Say Something" so I could buy it. Ha! The song name only showed up on "A Great Big World" - so, I purchased it. Listened to the entire thing over and over...really like to hugely love all 13 songs. "Say Something" is actually on this CD twice: once with the lead singer singing the entire thing himself, then again as the last song on the CD with Christina Aguilera. I'm now a fan of this group, whom I accidently ran across. Fun, snappy, uplifting music for the most part.
on December 29, 2014
I bought this album on the strength of "Say Something", one of the most beautiful ballads ever. The album boasts another couple of stellar slow numbers, but rest of the album surprised me - all-out pop-rock, the full-sounding arrangements reminiscent of ELO in some places (yes, I'm going back), and They Might Be Giants's glorious "Birdhouse in your Soul" in others (still going back, but not so far.) I play this over and over in my car. Only a couple of tracks are weaker, IMO, which is rare these days. All round excellence from a talented duo with great voices.
on May 26, 2014
I thought at first this group would be a one-hit wonder, but once you listen to this album, they are so much deeper. There a few hits on this album, if their manager plays it right. I could have done without the song, "Everyone is Gay". I get their point, but the song cheapens their artistic abilities. This song could have been left for their live shows. I can't play the album at work without taking the chance someone would take offense to it. Sorry guys, you haven't earned it yet to put this kind of song on your album. :(
on December 26, 2016
Great album
on July 26, 2016
This was a great purchase! I knew just a couple of A Great Big World's songs from the radio and decided to see what else they had. Overall, this a really good album. There were a couple of tracks that weren't the best, but they pailed in comparison to the rest. I definitely would recommend this cd to others.
on April 29, 2014
This is one of the most interesting albums I've purchased. Every song has its own distinct personality. Eclectic, poetic, sophisticated, & fun!!
on January 7, 2015
Last year, when my daughter's 5th Grade chorus sang a cover of "Rockstar" I was immediately swept away with it's whimsey and unapologetic joy. When the CD arrived, I put in the player in my car and my daughter and I listened to it for at least two months. Well produced, passionate, insightful (especially for twenty somethings), this is an amazing debut album. Looking forward to seeing where these guys go next.