Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > SPIN Selling forum

Is this book dated?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 12, 2007, 12:14:00 AM PST
D. Buhler says:
Has the internet age changed any of the principles of this book?

Have any other large scale studies such as this one been done since 2000? I've read "Question Based Selling" by Freese (2000) and found it virtually copied this entire book. Amazing book either way expanding well on the SPIN principles.

Interested in hearing your thoughts or info on other studies.

Posted on Oct 18, 2010, 6:43:33 AM PDT
In some ways, yes the book is dated. I think it is foundational for teaching new salespeople the key questions to ask, but these questions should not be used blindly. The old "pecking order" in most sales organizations (prior to the Internet) went something like this: enterprise sales folks / key accounts reps / almighty "hunters" at the top, followed by inside / relationship-oriented sales reps, and at the bottom of the food chain the customer service reps. As Mike Myatt put it in a 2009 blog post, "the hunters were revered and the farmers were tolerated." But today's buyer is tired of sales gimmicks. Think about it: would you rather speak with a knowledgeable customer service person who has seen your very problem or concern hundreds of times, or with somebody trying to sell you something? The difference is where you as the buyer will get the most value. Organizations will always try to decouple the customer service person from the salesperson because those dealing with customer complaints daily can begin to suffer from a crisis of faith. I personally believe there is a happy medium between the two. As salespeople, we need to evolve and sell the VALUE in our product or service. Here are a few books that have helped me by two authors I really respect:Must See Inside: An Up Close and Personal Approach to Real EstateValueSelling: Driving Up Sales One Conversation At A Time

Posted on Nov 1, 2010, 4:10:55 PM PDT
Although the examples in SPIN Selling are dated, the concepts are as solid today and they were in when it was published in the 80's. For a new look at SPIN principles check out "Escaping the Price Driven Sale"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2010, 4:16:38 PM PST
L. S. Reid says:
Don't be fooled by e-commerce and selling on the internet. This book is geared primarily for large ticket items, although it is an approach that has merit for any type of sale. Purchasers of large ticket items do not shop on the internet; their needs and concerns are often best addressed by real live people, in face to face settings.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  SPIN Selling forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Feb 12, 2007
Latest post:  Nov 8, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

This discussion is about
SPIN Selling
SPIN Selling by Neil Rackham (Hardcover - May 1, 1988)
4.3 out of 5 stars (324)