Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Isaak Levitan: Lyrical Landscape
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 27, 2011
I was really looking forward to this new edition being released. I never saw the original edition, but on this 2011 edition the price is better than the original and it is in a horizontal format (better for pictures that don't bleed across pages), and with additional content.

After receiving the book I was unpleasantly surprised by how many images are poorly reproduced. I have seen some of the original paintings in European exhibitions and I have enough quality art books to know what good reproduction means.

Several of the pictures in this book are out of focus, and many have colors that tend to be muddy. As a comparison, I have a book from a 1986 exhibition (25 years ago!) that has a far superior reproduction of "The Birch Grove".

The only reason I didn't try to return this book is because it does have a number of Levitan images that I have not found anywhere else. But I'm still not sure it's worth even the reduced price, which is still not cheap.
on March 5, 2009
The book, in my opinion is overpriced. I confess that I have not read the narrative but many people buy art books for the prints. The prints are not great. They are divided between two pages and are dark, not well done. Would not recommend the book.
on December 26, 2012
Levitan was a great painter, and landscape painters should know about him and get their hands on some reproductions of his work. Despite the negative reviews, I got the book anyway, and I'm glad I did. Yes, some of the reproductions aren't very good and it's expensive, but the paintings are beautiful and there are so few books out there about Levitan, particularly in this part of the world. (apparently there are more in Eastern Europe, the Soviet governments liked his work a lot) If you're a landscape painter, just get it. If not, consider it anyway.
on January 18, 2014
The reproductions of Levitan's paintings in this volume do not in many cases do justice to the works. Many of the works appear dark and have a somewhat yellow or brown shift in the color reproduction. A case in point would be Above Eternal Rest, which appears dark in this book. An online image search revealed a painting that has a lightness, and a cooler hue, that completely changed my view of it. Strangely, there are also some grammatical and spelling errors that seem to have eluded the proof reader. The Swedish artist Anders Zorn is referred to as Andreas Zorn. Maybe I am misinformed, but I have never known this artist to be referred to with this common name.

On the positive side, the text is informative and engaging, without being academic or dry. The artist's productive life is told in chapters organized around time periods, themes or events. The book is about Levitan, the artist, and his work, and there is little about his personal life. We learn only about Levitan's relationships with other artists, his travels, and his exhibition record. Except for his close friendship with Anton Checkov, we learn little about him personally. One annoying feature of the text is that paintings referred to, that are reproduced in the book, are not identified with an illustration number or page number. That means the reader is left thumbing through the pages in search of the image if it is not on the same page.

I discounted other reviews that panned the quality of the book's reproductions, but unfortunately these turned out to be correct. That is a serious flaw in a book about the work of an artist. Since there is little published about this important painter, I purchased it anyway. For the price, it might be a "serviceable record" of Levitan's body of work, and by reading the text I learned a lot about his paintings in the historical context.
on May 11, 2012
Adequate book on Isak Levitan, a jewish-russian landscape artists of the nineteenth century . Good job at placing him in context. Nice illustrations and sufficient text.Could have used more illustrations.
on May 13, 2016
Very lovely book! A lot of pictures, but also life story of an artist and that time.
on February 24, 2012
The transaction was perfect, sadly I found the book disappointing. Had I seen it before the purchase I would not have bought it.
on August 17, 2014
He is probably my favorite Russian painter. I am still waiting for it to be delivered.
on June 13, 2007
Superb book - as a guide and as a reference. Isaak Levitan was a real master of Silver Age of Russian painting - apart from excellent skills, he was able to capture the mood. Highly recommended
on August 26, 2008
I am a painter and am always scouring book stores and sources for good books on other artists.I am also intersted in exploring artists from different countries. It is fasinating to discover their influences and their lives with their contemporaries. This man has the same sensitivity to the landscape as many of my favorite impressionist landscape painters. It is a lovely book and I will be looking for more about Levitan.