Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Isabel's Daughter: A Novel
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Back to School

on March 27, 2016
Avery is one of my favorite protagonists, if not my very favorite, in literature. The language Hendricks uses in her narrative draws me in and I feel everything that Avery feels -- especially her attractions to 2 very different men -- in an almost tangible way. The supporting characters seem like real people I want to meet: Cassie, Will, Jimmy John. I could go on and on, but if you love coming of age stories with plenty of mystery and a splash of the supernatural then you want to read this book.
on July 5, 2015
Loved this book. An unexpected find in a thrift store when on vacation. I ended up getting on my Kindle, because I love reading at night etc. on my Kindle. I loaned the Book to a friend, and she also loved the book. Get it - you won't be disappointed.
on August 20, 2005
I read previous Hendrick's titles and knew this one would be right up there with the best; I was not disappointed. I hope she never gives up writing, Judith has a way with words I seldom see. Her characters come alive for the reader and we can really relate to them. I look forward to future books by Judith Hendricks. The main character held her own while constantly meeting the shadow of the mother she never knew. I loved the path she followed right to the end.
on February 20, 2013
As a native New Mexican, I loved that this book wove the mystery of the desert in with the story line. Judith's characters are unique creations and seeing their lives unfold kept me captivated late into the night. If you like strong female characters, a unique plot line and beautiful imagery, add this book to your reading list!
VINE VOICEon November 24, 2010
I had not read Judi Hendricks' other books, although I had read a lot about them. I recently found this book and since it takes place in New Mexico I decided to read it. The author did not let me down in her sense of place. She describes many locations in New Mexico and makes the enchanting ambiance a part of the story. I have been in many of the galleries in Santa Fe and I could just feel that presence in the story.

The emotional tale centers around Avery James, named for the central Texas jeweler, James Avery. Her life as a child was difficult and it did not get any easier as an adult. Yet, there were some interesting and kind people who went out of their way to help her along the way. Having been disappointed and deserted by several people Avery has trouble trusting anyone. Her relationships end up in disaster until she can figure out who she really is.

Working for a caterer, she enters a home in Santa Fe only to see a painting that could be herself. Everyone present notices it right away, and realizes who Avery's is. From there her life becomes tangled with people who knew her mother and she has to untangle the tale to learn the truth and who she can trust.

There are some improbabilities in the story, but then lots of improbable things can happen in New Mexico. It is after all the Land of Enchantment.

Over all this is an enjoyable and satisfying novel.
on January 2, 2005
I highly recommend this book. I read it over the weekend and could not put it down. The main character, Avery, is a great storyteller and observer of others. The supporting characters are wonderful as well. Avery goes through much self discovery as she finds out about her mother's past and her own history. The setting is very much a part of the story with it's southwestern flair and mixture of anglo, mexican, and native american culture as Avery meets many people in her life. My only complaint would be that it ended! (Oh, and that I got hungry every time I read it...her description of the foods Avery eats and makes will make your mouth water!) I really look forward to more of her writing. This story reminded me in some ways of another of my favorite reads: Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver.
on September 27, 2007
This is the first of Hendricks' books that I have read. I enjoyed the story line. Some of her descriptions made me read them twice as they were a little over the top. For instance: " Friday night there's a waxing moon, and when I first see it rising up over the hills to hang like a silver apostrophe in the pale blue twilight, I know right away what I have to do." This is a relaxing book to read and I may try another of her books. I am in a book club and this was not on the list. Many of our books are more difficult reads and the subjects depressing. If you want an enjoyable and light read I would recommend this.
on August 3, 2008
This is one of those books that stay on your mind, and one I will want to read again in the future. Avery James was raised in an orphanage, which colored her life-view all of her growing up years. She sees a portrait of her mother, and that sets the stage for her quest to find herself. Part of the book is told in flash-back form, which is one of the best parts. This is a long book, but I was so enthralled I finished it in two days. And was sorry when I got to the last page. I have read "Bread Alone" and "The Baker's Apprentice", and hope it's not too long before the next book-- and I hope there is one--- appears.
on December 16, 2007
Avery James is left in the basement of foundling home by her young and frightened mother. Through many twists and turns of fate Avery slowly discovers who her mother is and more importantly, who Avery is herself. This novel is jam packed with a diverse assortment of vivid and fascinating characters. As an added bonus, you will be exposed to the culinary, cultural and artistic flavors of New Mexico, the "Land of Enchantment".

Anyone who has ever thirsted to learn more about themselves, what they wanted and where they were going, will find something to identify with in this book.
on April 12, 2004
I always check out at least three books from the library, and read them in the order of which I think I will be most interesting. Isabel's Daughter, I'm sorry to say, was the last book - and it should have been the first! I started the book at bedtime one night and ended up reading until 1 A.M. I was hooked!
This book is a fascinating tale, combining a young woman's modern life with her ancient roots. The people, the landscape, the beliefs are all brought to life by Hendricks' spellbinding voice. This book is truly an unexpected surprise and I look forward to reading more from this author.