Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Josh Ritter PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 780 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,821 reviews
on June 27, 2016
Great reader, and a great story! My kids and I listened to it in the car on a long drive and we felt transported into the story. The reader really makes this story come to life.
on March 6, 2017
One of my favorite childhood books that I now read to my sons chapter by chapter. The book held their interest night after night (ages 6 and 5). A great read.
on December 17, 2012
My Girlfriend did all the Christmas shopping for my kids this year, and this is one thing that she is really excited to give to my 10 year old daughter. She remembers reading this book when she was a kid and we were happy to get the 50th anniversary hardcover edition at such a great price! It was way cheaper than some of the other online book sellers and our local book stores. It is in perfect condition. I am always a little hesitant to buy books online because sometimes they (especially soft cover) can get bent in the shipping and handling process. This arrived to us pristine and before the estimated arrival date. We are very happy and would suggest this book to anyone with a daughter around age 10 that is looking for an exciting book to read.
on September 15, 2017
After many years I've finally read this sweet book. Don't wait to read it if you haven't. I see went this is a good book for young readers; it's a story of challenge and lessons.
on March 8, 2017
My 10 year old and I really enjoyed this book.
There is some really sad parts, but age appropriate for a 4th grader.
on March 7, 2015
Every kid should read of "Karana" (whose true name we'll never know), and this fictional story of her niece's desire to find her aunt on the Island of the Blue Dolphins. There's a lot of information in this story about what befell the native Americans when the Europeans came.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2017
For all ages. The author does an excellent job of imagining a life and a vastly separate existence based on a true story of an Indian girl who was left behind on her home island off Santa Barbara when her tribe was removed to the mainland.
on May 20, 2017
My 11-year-old daughter loved this book, she also bought 2 of them for her friends from her own money.
on March 26, 2017
Great book, based on a true story, fast read about an early successful survival situation - by a woman
I discovered this book in my school library in the mid-1970s, and devoured it and then re-read it multiple times. Karana was a hero of mine, with her survival instincts, and the story has stayed in the back of my mind for 40 years.

As my children got old enough to read chapter books, I was pleased to see this classic on the list of books they could select for school assignments. I still had my old copy of Island of the Blue Dolphins and gave it to our oldest daughter. I just bought a new one for our youngest son, who is also enjoying the story.

Karana's story is based loosely on the story of Juana Maria, a native girl who lived alone for 18 years on an island off the coast of California in the mid-1800s. This is a story that most children will enjoy and relate to, as Karana battles loneliness and shares her life with a wild dog. She makes herself skirts out of cormorant feathers, builds a house out of whale bones, weaves baskets and lives on fish and seal blubber.

For those interested in "the rest of the story" you can read about Juana Maria on Wikipedia or watch a video about her island on YouTube.