Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 150 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 313 reviews
on October 30, 2015
“Island of the Sequined Love Nun” is great for reading with your toes in the sand, the ocean pounding on the shore, and the sun beating down on you. It will add to the atmosphere. It is an earlier work of Christopher Moore and is humorous, but not laugh out loud vulgar like some of his more recent books. I prefer this. The text is also very fast paced. In fact it reads like an action adventure novel at times.
The protagonist of “Island of the Sequined Love Nun” is a colossal screw-up pilot, Tucker Case. Tucker is a well-developed character and his moments of self-reflection have some real depth to them. Tucker is a screw-up with a moral sense. There is right and wrong in his life, even if he does not always live up to its standards. There are some caricatures in the text also, but it creates a nice working mix to the cast of characters. One of my personal favorites is the old cannibal Sarapul. This character demonstrates how good Moore is at slipping slang into a character’s speech that is not at all realistic, but boy is it funny.
Religion and what constitutes faith is a key component in the book, and Moore seems to be mocking both (a little) and celebrating them (a lot). Pulling off that hat trick makes for great satire. And it gives this work some of its better moments.
I believe this is one of Moore’s stronger efforts. There are few to no slow moments. The ending is not great, but it works. “Island of the Sequined Love Nun” is clever, and there are not many books out there that examine cargo cults, faith, and sex in quite the manner this text does. Enjoy it.
on June 22, 2011
I want to trumpet that "Christopher Moore has done it again!" but that would be somewhat out of place since this book was released a while ago so the technical explanation of the quality of this book would be more like "Christopher Moore does it for the first or second time!".

I have to say, after reading this book, that I am finally unashamed to say that I am a Christopher Moore fan. I suppose I should be, since this is the fifth or sixth book of his that I have absolutely devoured in the way that is hard to do after having the fun sucked out of a lot of reading because of graduate studies in English. It was this past and my own literary snobbish that didn't want to be a Christopher Moore fan. His books are marketed so that his audience is the same kind of clever woman that reads Tom Robbins books (another author I have an fraught relationship with). I mean, this book has a bright pink cover, one that screams "The man reading this has obvious feminine qualities. When he watches the Harry Potter movies he wants to be Granger, not Potter," and things of the sort. But I have no shame. Moore makes me want more.

I'll gloss on the plot: Tucker Case is a pilot with a past, and a future. After burning out as the personal air chauffeur of a Mary Kay stand-in, he is engaged as a jet pilot for a missionary couple on a Pacific island with a suspiciously large amount of money. Mysteries are solved, laughs are had, and freedom is sought. We also get to have a look at cargo cults and shark hunts. I won't be able to do it justice: you should probably just read the book.
on February 18, 2012
"Love nun" has a totally off the wall plot that amuses and at the same time tell a great story. Moore has a writing style where he is able to be very descriptive, set the tone, and build characters, but spin a funny yarn while doing it.

There is a certain illogical logic that permeates the majority of the story. The deeper down the rabbit hole you go, the crazier the book seems to get. But when you look at everything as a whole, everything flows together well. You just have to suspend your sense of disbelief. Rarely will a chapter go by without you saying something like "did that just happen?" or "did he just say that?"

There isn't much that can be said about the plot of the book without giving anything away as you know just about nothing from the get go, and are slowly spoon fed bits and pieces. Not to say the story is slow, but as you need information, it is given to you.

The characters are a wholly different story. Tucker, the main character has a great sense of oversexed, slightly skewed morality contrasted with a slightly selfish streak. Even the more minor characters, are fleshed out reasonably well.

I wholeheartedly recommend this novel if you are looking for a good story that will leave you with a smirk on your face during the entire read.
on November 24, 2012
The protagonist of the story, Tucker "Tuck" Case, who is a pilot and not exactly the brightest bulb on the planet, is also dealing with low self-esteem issues. Before the story settles down on a remote, Pacific island named Alualu, it is littered with quite a few colorful, characters. Through a series of misadventures Tuck eventually winds up on the dinky island. The place is inhabited by a modern medical building, an airstrip, two odd "missionaries," six Japanese guards, over three-hundred natives called the Shark People and a talking fruit bat. Oh, and I almost forgot, a very old cannibal named Sarapul. If that isn't strange enough, there's a god called Vincent who the natives worship.

Mr. Moore reminds me of a literary version of the famed Coen Brothers who have created such odd, funny movies as "Fargo" and "The Big Lebowski." I find the author's works very enjoyable simply because it's impossible to know how the story is going to unfold. Pretty much, it's the sky's the limit in Mr. Moore's hilarious novels. There is no taboo he isn't willing to skewer. Heck, I don't even assume that the main protagonist will not be killed somewhere in the middle of the story. The first two-thirds of this rollicking adventure is shrouded in the mystery as to why Tuck's faults are suited so well for being the island's pilot. The last third is wondering how it will be resolved.

The book had me laughing on page one and kept it up for the entire work. Mr. Moore certainly has a gift for colorful, hilarious prose. The author has become one of my go-to writers if I'm in urgent need of a light read that is chockfull of laughs. If you've never read a Christopher Moore novel, his fourth work is as good a place to start as any.
on March 18, 2017
Christopher Moore is an awesome writer, and I really enjoy his stuff. Some of his characters move from book to book so it's like an old friend showing up on occasion. These books are better for adults rather than kids, though.
on August 18, 2016
Three and a half, really...I like Christopher Moore a lot,and I'm rating this against a very high standard: Christopher Moore books. if I was rating it against a standard of, say, Dave Barry books (which I also enjoy), it would be a full star higher. It's a clever, convoluted plot, told in delightfully ridiculous prose which is sometimes extremely funny, and really never dull..... I just got spoilt bc my first Moore book was "Sacre Bleau", and the next 4 that I've read (NOT in chr. order) haven't quite matched S.B. "Fool" came close.
on July 10, 2011
I ordered this book because I was $2 away from free shipping, and I needed something cheap :) The title caught my eye and the price was right, so I ordered, and I'm really glad I did! This was a surprisingly fresh and clever book. The editing and proofreading were a little awkward at times, but that might be why this particular printing is on sale. Once I got past that, the story was highly engaging, and the characters were surprisingly rich (like Sarapul, the aged cannibal). I laughed out loud, but Moore also had me pondering some of the more profound points of religion.

I would HIGHLY recommend it as a summer/ beach read, and I can't wait to read more of Moore!
on January 25, 2013
Sir Terry Pratchett is probably the best humorist / satirist in the world, but Christopher Moore is definitely the best American humorist / satirist writing today. And honestly, I think in a lot of ways, Christopher Moore is outclassing Sir Pratchett. (That's seriously high praise coming from me -- I dearly love almost all of Pratchett's books.)

I find Christopher Moore's early books to be delightful, light, and fun. They're silly and strange and delightful. His more recent books are also very funny, but much more sophisticated and substantial. It's the difference between pudding and creme brulee -- both are very tasty treats, but the latter has a touch of class and respectability.

Like most of his early books, Sequined Love Nun is very well written and clever, but it is also a bit silly. Light and fun fare for everybody. His more recent books, however, (A Dirty Job, Lamb, Fool and Sacre Bleu) are delightful reading for the more serious reader. If you want to introduce yourself to Christopher Moore, start with the silly (Sequined Love Nun, Bloodsucking Fiends, Practical Demonkeeping...). When you are ready for the sublime, treat yourself to A Dirty Job. It will knock your stripey socks off.
on September 19, 2015
I have to admit that I've not enjoyed this book as much as some other books by this author, but it has the same wicked sense of humor and predictably bad choices that the main character makes. I first met the pilot and the fruit bat in The Stupidest Angel and decided I had to read this book to learn their back stories. Some very cringe-worthy things happen to Tuck and I'm constantly amazed that he's able to keep functioning. I still haven't figured out if the bat actually can talk, but I guess it doesn't matter in a book like this. I just take it in small bites and keep coming back for more.
on July 6, 2014
Yes, it was funny. But it was a bit too long--scenes and chapters that added nothing to the plot or character development, nothing to the advancing flow of the narrative. Maybe the publisher had a word-count requirement so the readers ended up trying to metabolize filler like metabolizing ground cellulose in Wonder Bread. I have read only 2.25 of Moore's works but notice that the protagonists all appear to have low self-esteem and this is hammered at the reader in almost every chapter, especially the unnecessary chapters, and this gets old and "yeah, yeah, yeah, we know already...cut to the chase."

But it was funny and held my interest (despite the "yeah, yeah, yeahs") all the way to the end so I have to say I liked it.