Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 15 reviews
on April 20, 2017
This was ok. I would have liked a little more reference to the people mentioned in the chapters. I had to stop reading to look them up and find out who the author was talking about. All it would have taken was just a little blurb as in when describing the death of Wild Bill. He stated the murderers name but not that he was nothing more than a drifter and not necessarily a gambler of some note. I am interested bc I am traveling to the Black Hills soon. I did learn some things I didn't know but 5$ for 160 pages is a bit much when this book is kind of a glorified Wikipedia. Just didn't put me to sleep like Wikipedia does.
on September 5, 2016
Decent book on south dakota history.
on May 9, 2016
I bought this book for my mom who is 84 years old and was born and raised in South Dakota. She loves books on South Dakota since not only was she born in Lead, South Dakota in 1932, her grandparents....my great grandparents were all pioneers of the area. Some were pioneers, running a halfway house between Whitewood and Deadwood on an old stage coach line, while others settled the Slim Buttes area of the South Dakota plains. Her grandmother was a dressmaker in Deadwood and her grandfather had a ranch in the Slim Buttes. My father was raised in the Black Hills of South Dakota as will..his family owning a ranch in the beautiful Centennial Valley. So you can imagine that books on the old days of the South Dakota and especially the Black Hills give her endless delight. She reads the stories over and over and shares them with friends and family. She said this particular book had some great stories in it that she had never read and that she had really enjoyed reading it. I think it might have been one of her favorite gifts this year:) If you or a family member enjoy stories from South Dakota, I think they will like this book.
on December 9, 2010
The stories are short and informative without getting to detailed. Did however find a couple of errors in the text of items that were relevant from North Dakota and not South Dakota! Fun facts and info!!
on February 1, 2011
Gift for my sister. She was happy to get it and even happier after reading it. Some minor geographic flaws and the fact that it was written by a non South Dakotan were her only complaints.
on August 5, 2014
I bought this for my mother, who grew up in South Dakota, and she really enjoyed it. It was well written and provided extra insight into many things about the state, some of which she knew but some she didn't. She liked the fact that it provided some perspective from the Native Americans who had their land taken away from them. Overall we are very pleased and will be sharing it with other relatives.
on January 30, 2015
We adopted a senior citizen for Christmas this year and on his list was books about SD. Well those are hard to find so I was glad to find one on here. I have to admit I didn't read it but it was perfect for what the gentleman wanted and it was a good price.
on April 30, 2014
A good book to read and learn the history of South Dakota. Everyone should take time and read this book.
on March 7, 2015
Very disappointed to find there are absolutely no pictures in this book. Text only.
on October 24, 2016
Great read about the history of South Dakota!