Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 329 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 345 reviews
I was born in 1946, so I cannot remember a time when "Peanuts" was not a mainstay of the newspaper comic strips. Of the numerous Peanuts TV specials, "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" is definitely my favorite, since it includes Lucy and Charlie's classic football scene, and Linus and Sally's night in the pumpkin patch, fruitlessly waiting for the Great Pumpkin to show. This app is a recreation of that TV show.

This is one of the finest animated children's stories that I've seen. With the pop-up figures that move when you touch them, and the other animated features, it's a joy to read for anyone, grownups included. And be sure to touch everything, too. I loved the character Pigpen, who sheds dirt when he's touched. I loved touching falling leaves (I won't say what happens - find out for yourself!).

After reading the story the first time, I learned that there were five awards to be earned. I won one of them for raking leaves, but there are four more that I'll go back and try for now.

Did I mention that I love Peanuts and its lovable cast of characters?
This is a beautiful interactive book for your whole family to enjoy. Touch the characters and they move or talk and your children will enjoy it immensely. I encourage you to experiment with each page and find the motion and interactive content yourself as that is half the fun. Just remember as you interact you can gain achievements. If you collect them all you get a prize at the end of the book. You can tilt your tablet and change the effects of gravity.

The book is funny and the digital animation is marvelously done. Don't forget that you can also touch the words in the text and the app will pronounce the word by itself. The voices are by the narrators of the original TV classic. It is entertaining for children and it can even help to improve their reading skills. You can turn off the narration and read the book to your child or they can read it. You can touch each word and have it pronounced to you if you wish.

This is a 5 star app and a great gift on Halloween.

Size:
The app is 79.9 MB compressed and 82.4 MB uncompressed on my Kindle Fire.

Permissions:
Storage - modify/delete internal storage contents
Network communication - full internet access
on July 13, 2017
I like this app and I also like Charlie brown but while it was installing, I looked at the file size and it was about 80 MB! Usually, you can get good apps like this with good he quality for under 20 MB each. I saw a review that said that he or she got an error that said the file size was too big. this is probably why. no one ever looks at the file size, just the description and reviews
on November 1, 2012
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please be sure to read the entire review, especially the second update as it finally explains what the app maker really did.

I got this as the free app of the day on Halloween. The storybook part of the app is done very well (app would have been 5 stars if I was just rating that part) since it is a very close adaptation of the holiday special from the mid 1960s. The only major part missing is the Snoopy World War I fighting scenes.

I am giving this app 4 stars instead of 5 stars with reservations since it is both rather large in size (like around 80 MB) and appears to be incomplete. There are the mini games with a page in the app letting you know that it will give you a prize if you complete all of these games, and I can't find anything that happens when you get all the mini games completed. I am also confused with the candy page in the storybook. It appears you should be able to drag candy and put the candy in the shapes at the bottom of the page, but nothing happens when I try to drag them into the shapes that match.

After doing research by looking at the app developer's website and the Google Play website, it appears that the Apple version of this app has more activities than this Amazon version, and that they split the Android version of the app into 2 parts with the other one called "The Great Pumpkin Festival" which Amazon does not currently carry in its App Store.

I wish the developer of this App, Loud Crow, would comment and let us know if this is the case.

UPDATE: The Google Play version of this app is not split into 2 parts as the Apple version also has the "The Great Pumpkin Festival". Apparently the Google Play and Apple versions of the apps have additional features for this app such as creating your own Peanuts Avatar which were not included in the Amazon version of the app but Loud Crow forgot to remove the misleading picture from the Amazon page with the Avatar picture.

Again, I wish Loud Crow could comment and let us know that this is the case. I am going to leave my rating at 4 stars until I get a more accurate answer to these issues with the missing parts.

2ND UPDATE: After looking at a Loud Crow webpage, I finally learned that they apparently intentionally gave people like me who got this app for free from Amazon an incomplete version and promised that there would be an update for the full version the next day which would should have been today but there wasn't one.

I am lowering the rating from 4 to 2 stars since Loud Crow and Amazon should have informed us of the decision to give us an incomplete version as the free app of the day and because of the lack of an update from Loud Crow. Hopefully this lower 2 star rating will motivate Loud Crow to release the update that we shouldn't have had to get in the first place!
on November 16, 2012
This is the first interactive book/app like this I have seen. I thought it was great, easy to use and enjoy. Just a great treatment to interactive app book form in my opinion. The app-book was like a refreshing visit down nostalgia lane for me. My 15 year old daughter went through the whole thing... she liked it (It wasn't lame) and then we watched the TV special a couple days later.

I don't know what to say about Charlie Brown (or Winnie the Pooh either) since they seem to be a microcosism of weird (or dysfunctional?) behavior written on to children's characters - except it obviously works well when done right. As it is here. This really shows in contrast to other children's fare common today - mindless fun for little brains but emphasis on mindless in my opinion. The entertainment version of cotton-candy. You can't say the classic Charlie Brown specials are pointless or empty. They remain a favorite of my childhood experience.
on October 28, 2014
This was really fun for my daughter who is a kindergarten reader. This app was intuitive - very simple, read along with her, and if she touched a word, it repeated the word as many times as she touched it. She really liked the story, which obviously I've heard at least 20? times before, but after reading it once, she went back to the story to find the little "Easter egg" touches on different screens, like the leaves changing form after touching them, or exploding the pumpkins. It was great fun and well worth the cost of the download. We'll get more of these. I hope they are all as good as this one.
on June 22, 2017
classic
on February 28, 2013
We loved this app/book at first. It reads like a storybook. It also reads the story out loud which was great for my 3 year old nephew who often requests it. It is almost like watching the film. Each page has 5 or 6 sub pages, and there are several interactive pages. The only down size is, well, the size. It is a hefty app. I have a first generation Fire and this app takes up like 20% of the app space. I usually leave it in the Cloud and then have to delete stuff in order to have room to load it. When it is on the device, I feel like everything runs slower. I think that the app itself is really great. I'd give it 5 stars by itself. But the toll it takes to run it is quite poor. I'd give the performance/compatibility maybe 2 stars.
on December 14, 2012
It was true to the movie, but we hit a page in the pumpkin field where we could no longer turn a page or do anything but shut down. Once they fix that (or maybe they have already?) it will be awesome.

Edited 12/31/2012 to add: The above was true on my Pantech Marauder phone a couple months ago.
But later I downloaded it to my new android tablet, and it runs like a charm. So I think the problem is/was specific to my phone.
Since the app is so completely adorable, I'm upgrading it from 2 stars to 4. Just be aware there could be some compatibility issues (my phone is listed as a compatible device, by the way.)
on January 17, 2013
This is probably one of the best kid's books I have on my Kindle. I got it as the free download of the day but I would have paid money for it. It is narrated by the original Charlie Brown voice actor which I love. You can turn the narration on or off. So sometimes I read to the kids and sometimes I let the Kinde. The cool thing about when the narration is turned off is that the interactive pictures in the story stay on. When we are done with a page we mess with the interactive pics and my son thinks they're hilarious out of context. I would definitely recommend this for kids and nostalgic adults!