Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 45 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 70 reviews
on February 22, 2017
Very useful and practical book for people like me, a dentist who doesn't really want to manage anyone but must anyway. I have read several other similar management books that were basically useless. Highly recommended and probably relevant to many people.
on April 18, 2017
This was great because it spelled out the distortions we have in our minds about what makes a good manager. I enjoyed the simple direction this book provided me with to begin providing the support my people desire.
on April 2, 2015
This book promises to explore, explain and guide you through the difficulties of being a high performance boss in a demanding workforce and it delivers. Anyone who has been in Management for any length of time will see many of the pitfalls that Bruce discusses and say, "oh, I remember that," or "yep, been there!" More importantly than getting the scenarios right, he gets the usual outcomes spot on as well. This gives strength and credibility to his recommended management styles which align strongly with common sense. In the end, It's all about expectations and accountability and Bruce Tulgan delivers both for the unsure or discouraged managing professional.
on May 14, 2016
Great author! It helped me come out of my shell and understand management and managing everyone on my team efficiently!
on June 1, 2015
I highly recommend this book to anyone who is currently, or plans in the future, to be a manager. Managing people is by far one of the most difficult things to do. Often, we are dealing with multiple personalities, multiple workforce generations with varying needs, wants and motivations, and our own personal frames of reference. Plus, we all have to do more, with less. Bruce's advice is simple, easy to implement and effective. I've managed for over 20 years and I was able to walk away with some fresh "back-to-the-basics" ideas and implement them. I also bought the book for several co-workers and I also give it to my staff before they advance into management roles. If you haven't checked out Bruce's website, I highly recommend it. [http://rainmakerthinking.com]
on June 1, 2016
I've read so many leadership books, and this one is the BEST I've read! It's very concise and actually works!! He doesn't apologize for what he has to say and the employees love his techniques. I just ordered two more copies for the managers under me to read. It's super!!!!! I wish it were on CDs!
on October 12, 2015
As a new supervisor I am always looking for good advice. Bruce Tulgan spoke at our companies Leadership Development meeting and knocked everyone's socks off.
He breaks it down how to manage people without micromanaging and how to correct negative behavior without demeaning the staff member. Bruce is about leadership and leading by example. He is also about clearly being in charge. The balance is hard to maintain but he makes it work
on April 28, 2007
Bruce Tulgan's "It's OK to Be the Boss" is one of the toughest books I've ever read/reviewed. His premise, like most of his previous work, is dead on accurate. When I saw somebody willing to say there's a crisis of "undermanagement," I was thrilled. So I'd give the book a five on promise - and some of that is fulfilled. But unfortunately, the execution is a -4 so the rating ends up as only one star. I think he could have made most of his good points without the pieces that ultimately will only confuse managers - and in many cases give them excuses for not doing the very things Tulgan's arguing must be done.

It starts early with Tulgan's criticism of the work from Blanchard, Buckingham, and even a backhand compliment of Adler's hiring formula. What's particularly misleading, no matter how much Tulgan might deny it, is that it is obvious he has never read the works he criticizing. Blanchard has been making it very clear for decades that the "One Minute Manager" takes more than a minute; Buckingham makes it even clearer that the steps in "First, Break All the Rules" are not just empowerment and require the very detailed regular attention to the very detail that Tulgan calls for. Buckingham's most recent works on a "strengths-based" approach is backed by solid research - not just anecdotal evidence Tulgan cites. He even misinterprets the classic Theory X - Theory Y, not knowing that McGregor clearly stated that a Theory Y Manager recognized the existence of Theory X assumptions about some employees (in 1960 estimated at 35% of the workforce). He then praises Lou Adler's hiring methods, but backhandedly points out that this approach is also flawed by assuming a company can hire all peak performers - something that is not Adler's position and again proves that he hasn't read the things he criticizing. Tulgan misunderstands Adler's position in which he clearly states that the performance-based hiring process is really the first step of what can become a much better performance-management process.

Tulgan also falls prey to the classic problem of blaming the system for the failure, ending up criticizing a new management-by-objectives, pay-for-performance, and forced-ranking as yielding only mixed results. Personally I'm not a fan of forced-ranking for a variety of other reasons, but when MBO or Pay-for-Performance fails, it is rarely the concept that fails - it is usually poor execution by the managers doing it.

As I delved deeper and deeper in this book, I realized how a good concept was destroyed by an overall argument that wasn't necessary.
44 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2016
I presented the entire program including DVD to over 600 people. Bruce Tulgan delivers a Great message on how to be the Boss your employees need. My Managers walked away with a better understanding of how they truly can be a better leader.
on October 19, 2014
I used this book as part of a business management college class. I must say it's one of the few that I've read cover to cover. It was written with language every one can understand and comprehend. It is also up to date worth the experience and examples. Good book