Industrial Deals Beauty Silent Corner STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Final Fantasy XIV Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 29 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 36 reviews
on March 30, 2011
This book is a must read for communication therapists/consultants and particularly for young speech pathologists looking at career opportunities. Universities who train therapists tend to overlook the people in the world who don't have moderate to severe "speech impediments".

There are many people who have been told that they are difficult to understand, hard to hear, or need to improve their communication skills. Some of them have heard their voices recorded and hate what they hear. They become self-conscious and they limit their opportunities to express themselves.

Carol Fleming has written this book to help this larger population of people who would like to have therapy for their weak, muffled, strained, and ineffective voices and manner of speaking. It's obvious that she's very experienced and has helped many people gain the confidence to speak up (and out).

Many of my clients will benefit from her more simplistic approach. They just want to feel and sound more impacful when they speak. I have put into practice many of her suggestions for myself. As a Speech Pathologist, I certainly should sound more clear, articulate, and committed to clients in every way possible.
on November 20, 2013
It gives great examples of the most common types of speakers. For instance, my voice is very soft and low and I feel like I'm yelling even though I'm not. I like the fact that the book gives exercises to the reader to help them with their issue of how they say things. Although, my voice or the way I say things may not relate to some of the examples in the book, it's was good for me to go through those exercises.
on November 16, 2010
Full disclosure. I know Carol Fleming personally, and am vaguely familiar with her work. I've never been a client, but I knew she was in speech therapy.

Her book, however, is a revelation. What she does is so far beyond what you think of as speech therapy as to be a whole 'nother world, She acts like a Minister of Communication, in the religious, not the governmental sense of the word.

In this book she shows you how to present yourself, to show yourself off to best advantage.
Consider how you detail a car, or how you stage a house to best show it off.
She teaches you how to do this with yourself.

I always thought that that if I had something to say, all I had to do was to get the message clear and the technique would take care of itself. And I wasn't particularly critical about my natural, intuitive way of doing that presenting.

Dr. Fleming wants me to move that up a notch.

Her book is concise, direct and to the point, with lots of personal stories from her experience to make a lively reading experience. Tight, spare and engaging, with useful stories and clear instructions. You will also learn how a sentence with eleven consecutive instances of the word "had" can, in a proper context and properly punctuated, make a meaningful sentence. Page 63.

But that's not important, it's just diverting. Part of the funny side of the book.

The book has a more serious purpose, some real depth and the benefit of years of her experience in vocal development and communications training. Not everyone can trek out to San Francisco to engage her services, but everyone can benefit from her coaching in this book.

Even, especially, people who don't know they need her help

In a sense, this book is a conversation with an author who has keen insight into the human condition, and a willingness - eagerness - to share her knowledge. Enthusiasm for the human condition runs through her stories, which are case histories of problems in human communication.
on December 1, 2016
Pleased with the content of the book Helpful material.
on January 30, 2017
is good.
on April 25, 2016
Like it
on February 20, 2015
Excellent book. Teaches how to improve our voices which in the end is part of improving ourselves.
on March 13, 2015
Loved it!!! Great value for money!
on October 25, 2014
Great reference
on September 13, 2012
This book will help you become aware of your flaws whilst having a conversation or at public speaking. At the end remember that practice makes perfect.