Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery March Birthstone Book House Cleaning movienight movienight movienight  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 139 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 175 reviews
on December 3, 2015
This appeared to be the middle of a series of stories about a life. I haven't read his other books and perhaps if you have you would enjoy the continuing saga, but I felt rather like I should feel more empathy about Jon and I didn't. If this story had been totally about Izzy and their experiences with hospice I would give this 5 stars. That part of the novel was amazing. But Jon's depression was tossed in. Then the adoption of the another dog, Lenore, who might or might not be able to be a hospice or assistant dog. He has this huge farm where he passes out treats to the animal residents, but doesn't seem to need to muck out pens; repair fences; treat hooves or teeth; or even gather eggs. Nor does he do much laundry or cleaning or repairs around his own abode. Instead he wonders off into the wilderness with his puppy to cure his depression. I'm sure most of us would like that luxury!
on September 30, 2008
I've read all Jon's books and loved them all. But, this one is my all time favorite. It touched my heart so deeply. Jon portrayed beautifully the connection between dogs and humans. His honesty about not always finding the right words to describe this connection was refreshing. Sometimes things just don't have an explanation. They can only be felt with the heart. Jon does this so eloquently in Izzy and Lenore. My own dog, who is in a wheelchair, does therapy work with hospital patients and assisted senior facilities. What transpires when she interacts with them is absolute love on a level most times I cannot find words for. All I know is that I witness something bigger than myself. Bravo, Jon for sharing Izzy and Lenore with hospice and nursing home residents and now sharing those beautiful stories with the world... what a gift for everyone.

~Barbara Techel, Author of Frankie, the Walk 'N Roll Dog
on February 16, 2014
Izzy and Lenore: Two Dogs, an Unexpected Journey and Me by Jon Katz, Villard Books, 2008, 195 pages.
This was a gift from Frank, Mary, Dylan and Jason. It is one of the best and most rewarding books I have ever read. But I love animals and love dogs the most. The book is built around Bedlam Farms-the author’s refuge from the world and home to his much loved animals. It is also the story of two hospice dogs and how they changed the lives of the author and the hospice patients. It rings true.
Some reviews are in the link below.
on June 7, 2014
A very interesting and well written memoir about a year in the life of Jon Katz. It was a year of incredible changes for him, beginning with his adoption of an abandoned border collie, which he names Izzy. Izzy is damaged by her years of abuse, but quickly rebounds and become a very valuable asset to Jon's life because she joins him in visiting Hospice patients. The book also follows Jon's adoption and training of the puppy Lenore, Jon's battle with severe depression, and his reconnection with his sister, Jane. The stories of how Izzy worked as a Hospice volunteer, adapting to each new situation, was the most interesting part of the book for me. I also loved Jon's photographs and would have liked to see more of those he took that year A very affecting memoir.
on November 18, 2015
I did not read this book, I experienced it. I love stories about animals and jumped right in. Big surprise! The intermingling of animals, lives, emotions, happiness and sadness engulfs you
clear till the end. It gave me new insights in many areas and let me realize how important it is to love and live each day. What a blessing we can be to many animals and they to us.
on February 3, 2015
I’m always a sucker for animal stories, and this did not disappoint. I had never heard of Jon Katz before, but I will definitely look into reading others of his many animal books. I wish I could meet Izzy and Lenore someday, as they sound like wonderful dogs! The story was very inspiring and made me want to consider doing some dog therapy work someday, when I retire, if I get another dog. Or even just do volunteer work (without a dog)! Jon paints such vivid stories about his dogs, that I could actually imagine myself right there with them. I recommend this book. By the way, I listened to it on Audible and it was a fast listen.
on November 1, 2016
If I remember correctly, this was described as "acceptable" condition. I am very pleased. I'm currently listening to disc 4 and I'm pleased to say I have not experienced a single skip or scratch. Very pleased, as this hasn't always been the case with purchases from other sellers. Will gladly buy from this seller again and again.
on March 27, 2014
I chose this, having enjoyed Mr. Katz' previous dog tales. This one adds the story of his return from depression, supported by his dogs and his friends/neighbors. His wife was out of the picture for the most part, teaching in "the big city" while he remained on the farm.

If you love dogs, rural living, farming, puppies, and personal interest stories, you will love this book. The dogs are distinctive personalities without being anthropomorphized, each with a compelling back story. The writing is solid, and does not detract attention from the stories it tells. Highly recommended.
on November 27, 2013
OK, I'm a sucker for dog books, especially those written by Jon Katz. He makes his books, and the animal characters in them, come alive. This one in particular was excellent in that it showed the extent of a dog's empathy and relationship with those around him, both the man he lives with and those who are soon going to leave this earth. It's sad and poigniant at times, but always leaves you feeling that Jon and his companion made a true difference to both those about to depart and their loved ones who are left behind to cope. If you're an animal lover, Izzy and Lenore is a book you don't want to miss!
on March 22, 2014
I've read a lot of Jon Katz's books and this book lived up to my expectations when I took it up. He is very clear in his approach to the relation of humans and their animal adjuncts, insisting the animal owner needs to respect and observe the animal's intrinsic genetic and evolutionary heritage and role in relation to people. He is a keen observer of his dogs and appreciative of what they add to his awareness of his own existence. If you are interested in and like animals, I think you will find his books interesting along with his Bedlam Farm blog.