Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > The Casual Vacancy forum

J.K. Rowling is Joking, right?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 132 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 12, 2012, 9:19:35 AM PDT
Sorry, much as I love Harry Potter and happily have the entire collection on my Kindle, I think it's a little nervy for J.K. Rowling to actually believe her first attempt at adult fiction is worthy of the $19.99 price tag for an e-book! It will be interesting to watch the reviews in September.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012, 9:27:42 AM PDT
I honestly thought it was a misprint. I too love Harry Potter and have the entire collection, but am a little fearful of a book that, by the discreption, differs so much from what she is used to writting.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 9:41:50 AM PDT
Cory says:
it should be noted that publishers, not authors, set the publication price of the books.

I suspect it is a misprint on amazon's part.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 9:44:18 AM PDT
Get over it people, she's moving on. Were you honestly expecting this to be Harry Potter 8? She's said time and time again that this will be book geared towards adults with black humor. I'm thrilled for it and the $20 price tag doesn't concern me too much, she's J.K. Rowling, remember? She can charge whatever the hell she wants for it and no matter what the price tag is, it will sell millions.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 9:44:52 AM PDT
Not sure how these things work. Publisher of not - it's not an Amazon error - Nook has the same price.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 9:52:01 AM PDT
I believe we will see a lower price on this due to the recent Lawsuit against Apple and several publishers including the publisher of this book. Looks like the publishers will no longer be able to set the price of ebooks. http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-us-charges-apple-with-ebook-pricefixing-20120411,0,6511936.story

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 9:52:15 AM PDT
Publishers do set the price. Clearly, they think the power of Rowling's name alone will cause people to snap this up. However, I won't at that price. Especially since the synopsis doesn't sound like something that I'd normally pick up - I only would because I'd hope and expect that Rowling would make what sounds like a run-of-the-mill mystery or psychological thriller (I guess) much better in execution. If this was a hardback price, I would understand it.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 9:52:51 AM PDT
Yeah, the publisher sets the price, not the author... if you don't like the price, then either A] Don't buy it, B] Check it out from the library, or C]Wait and see if the price drops.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 9:53:24 AM PDT
K Ludwig says:
I agree that the price is crazy for an e-book. Will be wishlisting this one to see if the price drops later.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 9:57:41 AM PDT
Sharico says:
I thought she was going to pursue a series on Harry Potter's parents. I wonder what happened to that? I may look at a sampling of her book. Not sure I'll buy it at that price, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012, 9:57:42 AM PDT
A. Franklin says:
Amen to that.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 10:08:57 AM PDT
bluediamond says:
20 bucks for an ebook is insane. That will basically cause people to download it illegally. I will pay reasonable prices for ebooks and support authors, but greedy publishers? That's only 2 dollars less than the print version, which involves physical materials and middle men! (which, 21 dollars is still overpriced for a print version these days). These publishers have to accept that times have changed. They either adapt, or die. 10 dollars should be the MAX for an ebook, EVER.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 10:09:43 AM PDT
Hachette agreed to stop the price fixing and therefore aren't being sued by the gov't. Yet they are still fixing prices ... what gives ?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012, 10:11:32 AM PDT
The HARDCOVER book sells for $18 - $2 LESS than the Kindle version! Isn't THAT amazing???

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 10:12:47 AM PDT
Donna Smith says:
This is a sure-fire bestseller and Little-Brown Publishers will of course set the price at whatever the market will bear. This is certainly in line with their other big name publications. Blue Diamond, you are encouraging illegal activities. Intellectual property is still property. An author, composer or performer has the right to whatever profit they can make from their skills and talents. If we consumers feel things cost too much, we have an alternative: don't order it. Breaking the law is not an appropriate response.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 10:16:26 AM PDT
J. Brennan says:
I would want the hardcover anyway. I can't wait to see what she does next.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 10:17:02 AM PDT
Daniel Sabin says:
@Collen According to the page I just read, its $21 dollars for the hardcover. @bluediamond, $21 dollars is not a bad price for a hardcover book.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 10:18:37 AM PDT
Daniel says:
I love JK Rowlings characters, I would buy anything she writes, at almost any price.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 10:30:13 AM PDT
Tess says:
Hopefully, the Dept. of Justice will win it's antitrust lawsuit against Apple and the group of publishers. Then we may see the price of ebooks become more reasonable. I can wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012, 10:49:54 AM PDT
quiver of 8 says:
JK Rowling or not she has over inflated her worth. Its really a slap in the face to her loyal readers. She is taking advantage of them and I agree we should NOT rush to buy it if no one does the price will come down! I love Janet Evanovich but will not pay $13.99 for her ebooks when then are released. They do come down in price!

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 10:52:12 AM PDT
quiver of 8 says:
NOT all publishers set the price. That is why amazon, BN and walmart etc can sell books at a percent off list price! That is why there is a LAWSUIT for price fixing against the "big 5 " publishers. They threatened amazon that they would not allow them to sell their physical books unless they could price fix their ebooks! ONe word, GREED.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 11:00:27 AM PDT
This book is from a publisher who settled with the government and is NOT being sued presumably because they agreed to stop fixing prices - yet here they are fixing the price of a book.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 11:03:49 AM PDT
Cory says:
I expect this kindle edition will end up being around 9.99-12.99 once everything settles down.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 11:09:07 AM PDT
A. Eparvier says:
Is there anyone else out there that's less upset about the price and more upset with the books description? After all the magic Rowling brought us this seems mind numbingly dull. I'm not nearly concerned with the price because by the description so far I have no desire to read it!

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 11:09:59 AM PDT
This is close to the MSRP of the ebook. £11.99 converts to $19.14. Source: http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/TheCasualVacancy
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Casual Vacancy forum
Participants:  93
Total posts:  132
Initial post:  Apr 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

This discussion is about