Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Style: earbuds|Color: Black Pearl|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,291 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,513 reviews
on November 22, 2011
Out of the package these look a lot like the j3s but in a great new package. It's like a foil bag that you just rip open. The 45 degree angle plug isn't quite as good as a 90 but it's an improvement. The stress pints on the cable are beefed up compared to the j3s but not as bulky as the j4s. The wire is plenty long and seems very delicate and its rubbery feeling instead of slick like the j3s. Most of my jbuds last 3 -6 months so we'll wait and see. The mic is in a great place, it's closer to the y in the cable and just feels better using the control functions. They changed their warranty and it sucks now. If you're looking for the best warranty it's skullcandy HANDS DOWN!

These are SUPER comfortable, hardly notice them in my ear. The tips are soft. They feel light in your ears...no tugging or fatigue. I really like the grill on the back. Gives them a good look in your ears. Also great for sleeping because they don't stick out too far.

As for the sound its very good. Very warm sound and crisp highs. Didn't notice any mixing of the mids and bass like the j3s but I haven't been using these long. So far seems very balanced and clear.
If these had a lifetime warranty like skullcandy these would be 5 stars.

Update 12-8-11 After a good 40 hour burn in the sound is quite stunning. They claim 23khz as the high end and you can tell. The highs are very crisp. The separation of the highs, mids, and bass are quite amazing for buds in this price range. They honestly sound as good as my klipsch image s4s. Def a good buy

Update 1-15-12 I've had these less than 2 months and the left earbud tube literally separated from the housing. I have kept these in a samba case at all times and only use them at home. In other words they were well taken care of. The buds still function but when I pull them out of my ears the left one separates. I am going to try their warranty process but my expectations are low. I've had bad experiences with jlab in the recent past. I've heard from friends and here in the reviews that they often reject your return saying nothing is wrong. Guess we'll see. I'll update when I get through the warranty process. Gotta drop the rating a star for durability. If they mess with me on the warranty it'll drop another. I uploaded 2 photos so you could see what happened

Update 1-28-12 Went thru the warranty process and received my replacements fairly quickly. It cost $4 to ship in the defects. Only thing that would have made it better was if they'd have let me pick a diff color like skullcandy does.

Update 7-9-12 Thought it was worth noting the control functions do not work with my android device running 2.2(froyo). They do work with my device running 2.3(gingerbread). So I assume if you're running 2.3 or later you'll be good.
review image review image
1919 comments| 398 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2017
I've used these earbuds since 2012 and up until 6 months ago would have given them 5 stars. They were great, but the quality of the last two pairs has been disappointing. My left hear bud just starting going bad today, after a month. I went back and looked through my purchase history and purchased the same style of J5s 5 times for myself (and once as a gift). First order was August 2012, then December 2013, then December 2014 (this set lasted a long time!). The next two orders were in December 2016 and again in April 2017. With the last two sets, the left earbud started cutting out and quit working. I don't mind buying a new pair every year - I am really hard on earbuds and use them all the time - but 4 months and 1 month, is just not worth it. A lifetime guarantee for is great, but not if I have to constantly keep contacting the company every couple of months. My time is worth something, and I want a working pair of earbuds EVERY day. I'll have to start searching for a higher quality pair. :(
on September 5, 2014
I read every 3 to 5 star review of headphones under $30 on Amazon before choosing the J5Ms here. I was worried when I received the package and they were in a static bag and not a box. But after opening it, I discovered many small details (like the Y split with a molded "J5" logo instead of a sticker, or the fine holes in the screen mesh) showing care and attention to build quality.

Of course, these don't mean anything if the headphones don't sound good... and they don't. They sound great. I was amazed with the first listening: clean, crisp highs, and booming bass -- and from such tiny hardware. The heavy low end might turn off purists, but it's just what I'm looking for in earbuds.

Well designed and well manufactured, the J5Ms are a steal for the price.

However, about 2 weeks after I bought these, the little "J5" logo fell out, from where it sits at the Y splitter. It looks like that is glued in, and I could've fixed it myself had I noticed it at the time. I emailed JLabs and explained the problem, and they told me to just send them back and they'd send me a coupon to buy anything of the same value from their website. So customer service is excellent, too.

Unfortunately, I managed to break the second pair, as the right side started to go out and then was completely dead. I then decided to upgrade to the Epic Premium wired headphones, also from JLab. Their drivers are 13mm versus 8mm in the J5Ms. They also got an amazing review at reviewed.com -- the Editor's Choice Award -- and were rated better than 100% of the headphones they tested under $100. They also come with a carry case, and earpieces that help the earbuds stay seated in your ears. Having said that, if your budget is too tight for those, the J5M is a great set of headphones, no doubt.
on July 29, 2013
These headphones have decent sound and are attractive, but lasted exactly the length of the warranty and (literally) started to come apart at the seams. I first noticed problems with the microphone and ipod controls about 6 months in. The product became useless after about 13 months, when the headphones stopped producing any sound at all -- probably due to the seal and joints holding the cable to the plug coming apart. If the price is worth a year of use to you, by all means pull the trigger. If you are looking for something more long term, I'd look elsewhere.

***UPDATE***

The very same day I posted this review, I received a reply to the review from JLab. They assured me that the product was defective and this was the exception, not the rule. They then directed me to the customer support page on their website and it was all too easy to make a claim and receive a replacement set of these defective headphones, even outside of the warranty period. So, although I am pleased with the reasonable customer service of this company, I will revisit my rating of the product only once I have had an opportunity to see if the set I had was one of just a few defective products, or the manufacturing quality on this model simply isn't up to par.

***LAST UPDATE***

After having these replaced, they have once again suffered the same fate of the first Jlab J5M headphones. At 3 months, the casing from the microphone assembly came undone, leaving part of the assembly to slide up and down the wire. Then, after about 6 months of use, the wire that connects the plug to my iPhone has stopped working properly. If the wire isn't positioned perfectly, the sound stops entirely, requiring random jiggling of the cable to get any sound whatsoever. Very annoying when you're trying to work out. Despite assurances that these defects are the exception to the rule, I am forced to conclude to the contrary. Not saying don't buy them--the price is right, the sound is decent and they fit nicely in the ear--just do so with the awareness that this product is not built to last.
on April 1, 2014
Originally the headphones I got had a defect because the play/pause/skip button came off after only one days use. The return was fast and easy to my convenience and it didn't even require the pair to be sent back (which I found to be a great return policy). The next pair sent however was defective as well because this very same button did not function at all this time. When filing this NEW claim for the REPLACEMENT pair, I was told to send back this pair and I would receive a new one. I was not given a "free shipping" method of sending them back and had to spend the minimum of $10 which I shouldn't have had to since it was jlabs fault to begin with. I didn't complain though, just sent them back only to recieve a completely different pair without the play/pause/skip button even on it. A totally different pair of headphones! Not the ones I originally paid for!
Last week I spoke with a Julian about how this is the third problem (or first depending how you look at it that it is the same issue that has still not been solved) I've now had with jlab. He told me he would send a "free shipping" label this time for my inconvenience and the new pair would arrive by Saturday. I have not received anything in my spam/ or regular mail to send them back, however I DID just receive another pair that are correct, but the play/pause/skip button does not work with my iphone 5 (whereas the very first pair DID so I know it's not a comparability issue)
I have avoided being the type bitch online with a negative review, but this company is proving to be incompetent. The sound the headphones put out is actually very good which is why I gave it 2 stars rather then 1, but come on, This is the FOURTH pair now and its STILL not working properly. There's a reason it's always marked down from $65 to $20
on August 27, 2014
I ordered a set of these along with a pair of Panasonic RPHJE120K buds as a backup. The sound quality of the pair I recieved was good, but the balance was off a bit towards the left, which generally indicates a volume problem with the right phone. After about ten days of use, the right bud would occasionally stop producing anything other than minimal sound, an intermittent problem that occurred on rare occasion at first, but became more prominent as time went on. I would rate this initial pair as unacceptable due to these problems.

On the positive side, however, registration of the set on the JLabs site was quick and easy, and filing a warranty claim was likewise a simple, streamlined affair, taking no more than about 10 minutes. Within an hour, I received an email saying a new set of buds was on the way, and got the replacements right away.

I've been using the replacement buds for about a week now. Right away the sound was much better, without the balance problem of the previous pair. Sound quality is good for a set of $20 buds, with solid bass, clear mids, and good range highs. These also produce better volume than the Panasonics I got at the same time, with better quality sound overall. They're comparable to the V-Moda bass relief buds that used to be my mainstay phones, but provide a better balance, without the bass-heavy sound.

The fit with the large tips is snug and comfortable, even for longer listening sessions.

Overall, I've been very pleased with the replacement pair. I'm hoping they prove to be more durable than the initial set. The sound quality for the price can't be beat, so long as you get a good pair.
on April 21, 2017
I ordered these earbuds a long time ago and wasnt very impressed with the mid to low performance. I went through the break in period using their special music file but came away meh about them. BUT some time later something changed. The more I listened to them the better they sounded. Now I leave my fancy beats headphones on the shelf and grab these when I want to listen to music. I am not audiophile, but to me they have an awesome balance between high mid and low -- now. At first they do seem very biased towards the highs -- but hang in there they will loosen up and produce great sound all around.
on May 1, 2017
I expect ear buds to last me ..... oh ..... 5, 10 minutes ...i.e., generally, not long........ just recently, there's a clicking sound I hear as I drive away from a gas station and?? ... it's my JLab Audio J5s dragging out the driver's side door...... bouncing on the pavement. BUT?? they survived.
......For the price..... the wires and connectors "feel" somewhat more rugged than usual ..... the sound quality is GREAT--and I'm a former broadcaster, spoiled by having full-time engineers on duty to ensure everything from headphones to on-air signals were ...perfection... So, yeah. Worth the money.
on March 6, 2016
I find these buds not worth the price and hassle of buying them online. I am now just buying Skull Candy at Walmart. I used these maybe 5 times, and the end that goes in your ear kept coming off. I had to screw it on multiple times during a 5 hour flight, and by the end, it all came apart and I couldn't use them at all. I was a big fan of JLAB because I had a very durable set (that my daughter lost :( . ), and won't be buying them again. A year ago I had also bought my daughter a replacement set because she also lost her own very durable ones (ah, teenagers!), and they broke almost right away too. I chalked that up as a fluke, but now I know it's just poor quality.
on May 13, 2017
I miss the J2. This is my second shot at J5, the first which I bought years ago and died within six months. I switched to phillips and was happy with those but when they recently broke down, and I saw the J5 price tag, I decided to switch back over to Jlabs for one more go.
Now the sound is very good, but I bought these roughly three weeks ago and already one earbud is dead. I have to move the wire very close to the top of the earbud for it to get reception, and since I move it goes silent right after. Usually when my earbuds break down they do so near the base where it meets phone. This is how I break 99% of my earbuds. This is the first time I have had this defect, and other than taking them to the gym once, they haven't been used anywhere but home. I'm very disappointed, and now I remember why I left these behind in the first place.