Industrial Deals HPC Design the future with O'Reilly Media Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 9, 2013
I have been sewing for decades and I already own two sergers so I didn't really "need" a new one - but my machine was in the shop for the second time in four months and the "tune-up/repair" bills for both visits was $180.00.

My husband asked me, "How much is a new machine?" I said, "Well a new Juki is only about $350, but my machine is much better than a Juki..." He said, "Maybe that's the problem. Maybe you have a Ferrari and you need a pick-up truck.. A Ferrari might be "better" than a pick-up truck, but when you need to move a load, you really need a pick-up truck."

I realized that my current sewing projects - mostly the Katwise sweater coats - were more of the heavy-duty variety and perhaps my current brand of serger was just too finicky for the job.

I am very happy that I made this purchase. The Juki sews beautifully even through several layers of felted wool. I can just breeze through the seams without any jamming or skipped stitches. I am very very happy with this machine.

My repairman is probably wondering where I have been....
77 comments| 223 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 4, 2016
I do love it. It is easy to thread and purrs along happily. I admit I haven't put her through all she can do but I'm happy with the choice. I have had my 3-thread Juki for about 8 years and felt confident in upgrading to a new Juki. It took a little getting used to with the threading and spool placement but after I got the hang of it I've been serging away.
On he’ll of a server. I’ve used a few different sergers in my sewing classes and this one hands down is the best one I’ve used. The machine is an animal, it will overlock your fabric with ease. It doesn’t have a problem with the thick fabrics that I’m usually working with. Setting the differential or thread tension is easy along with threading. It’s not self threading but you can thread the machine fairly easily once you do it a couple times. Most of my work is finishing seams and this machine makes it pleasurable to overlock your seams. Oh, the title says portable but my machine looks like the same size as the other sergers I’ve been on. So, I don’t know why it’s marked as portable. Comparing it to my sewing machines, it is smaller than bother those machines. They are the brother se400 and singer heavy duty machine.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 18, 2016
A great and sturdy machine! I am so happy to finally have a serger and I'm so glad I chose this one.
on June 3, 2015
Awesome home machine! It's a great replacement for my studio's old huge heavy loud industrial machine. I bought it on recommendation from the Katwise sweater coat tutorial.
on December 11, 2014
this machine rocks! i love it. it cuts & stitches through thick sweaters like nobody's business! i highly recommend!
on December 30, 2015
Perfect little machine! Runs very smoothly, cuts well and does a perfect rolled hem. Just what I needed.
on April 23, 2017
Amazing serger, I really love the speed and also it's narrow roll hem!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 18, 2015
My daughter is using the Juki serger and has successfully made a couple garments for little girls. She read the instruction book I purchased with the gift, and has not had difficulty with the serger. It was a successful gift. Can't speak to using it myself, since it was a birthday present for a daughter.
on August 15, 2014
My wife found it complicated at first. A few months later she loves it. I understand it does everything she hoped it would, and once she got use to the serger, it wasn't as complicated as it first appeared.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.