From the Manufacturer
JVC GZ-HD3 Highlights
Three 1/5-inch progressive-scan CCDs with Pixel Shift technology For bright, realistic colors the HD Everio uses three 1/5-inch CCDs -- one each for red, green and blue. Naturally, by having dedicated CCDs for each primary color, the camera is able to gather the maximum visual information which leads to more realistic color reproduction and presence. Using Pixel Shift Technology, the Red and Blue pixel locations are shifted relative to Green, allowing the sampled color information to be quadrupled through interpolation.
HD Gigabrid Engine for optimum HD images Developed specifically for HD Everio, this image processing engine processes the CCD images as a progressive scan signal. This provides the maximum image information to work with, regardless of the actual recording mode that is used. Also integrated into the chip are five digital noise reduction technologies that collaborate to improve vertical resolution by about 30 percent from previous JVC Standard Definition camcorders. It's at the heart of JVC's HD recording system.
Built-in 60GB HDD for 7 hours of HD recording In addition to an SP mode that allows up to about seven hours of HD recording, the GZ-HD3 is also equipped with an XP mode that records at a higher bit rate for those extra special scenes. There’s also a 1440CBR mode, which is convenient for those who wish to edit using HDV-compatible software.
Hybrid design with SD/SDHC memory card In addition to a built-in 60GB hard disk drive, the GZ-HD3 also has a slot for SD/SDHC memory card so you can store videos (SP mode only) and stills on this commonly available memory card.
Compact body, simple controls To make it easy to take the GZ-HD3 anywhere, the palm-sized camcorder features a lightweight, compact body 27 percent smaller than the GZ-HD7, and weighing a mere 1.5 lbs. It also offers point-and-shoot simplicity so no crucial scenes are missed, plus manual controls for more ambitious users.
- Focus Assist function Focus Assist outlines in-focus image contours in color so you can easily tell which parts of the image are in or out of focus.
- Zebra function Displays a striped pattern across highlight areas on the image, making it easier to manually set the exposure.
- Auto illumination light Built-in Video Light automatically illuminates the scene if you are recording video in a dim environment.
- Program AE A full array of effects is available so you can choose the right exposure or shutter speed automatically according to the scene you're shooting. Easily accessible via visual menu dial.
Accessory shoe and mic input Mount an optional microphone on the accessory shoe for clear, high-quality audio recording. A convenient Mic Input terminal with plug-in power supplies power to the mounted microphone.
Multiple interfaces for expanded connection HD Everio accommodates a wide variety of usage environments with its full array of digital and analog interfaces. In addition to new HDTV displays, HD Everio footage can be viewed on conventional analog TVs as well, thanks to its down-conversion function. And with USB and i.LINK connectors, it's ready to transfer recordings to a personal computer for full-fledged editing.
Windows/Mac applications provided for advanced editing For those who wish to edit and archive using their PCs, HD Everio comes supplied with full-fledged software. Blu-ray disc compatible applications let you store original HD content with full impact. And with plug-ins supplied for Mac software, Macintosh users will be able to create HD files using their own editing applications.
- 2.8-inch 16:9 widescreen Clear Bright LCD monitor for viewing a bright, high-contrast image while shooting
- Quick Power Off to prevent battery drain if the camera is left on by mistake
- The built-in lens cover protects the lens
- Data Batteries allow the user to check remaining recording time, displaying battery level and maximum remaining recording time
- Direct Backup button on the camcorder automatically launches the appropriate application to back-up only recordings that haven’t yet been backed up to a computer
- New Dimple Pattern Grip design for solid and comfortable shooting
- Index button to display remaining disk space and recording time
- Remote control
PC-less solution with Share Station With JVC's optional Share Station DVD Burner (CU-VD40), a totally PC-less solution for the archiving and playback of HD content becomes possible. With it, you can store HD Everio's footage directly on a DVD without using a PC. HD footage is stored as data so you can use normal DVD-R/RW disc for burning. You can save everything, or the clips you want in the order you like, and other ways. Playback of archived data is simple, too. Just connect the CU-VD40 to your TV, no PC or HD Everio required.
HD archiving: Just connect to the CU-VD40 via USB2.0 and you can archive your HD video files on DVD discs without using a PC. Thanks to HD Everio's USB host function, simply follow the instructions on HD Everio's LCD and you're done. Since DVD-R DL disc is supported, you can store up to 55min. of HD video (SP mode) on a single disc (8.5GB).
HD playback: Playback is possible directly from the CU-VD40 to a connected TV/Display. Simply load a created HD data disc and you can enjoy powerful HD video on HDTV. No need to connect the camcorder. Analog component or down-converted SD video output also available.