Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 11-20 of 93 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 102 reviews
on October 9, 2010
My auto sound needs are modest- decent sound through factory speakers, ease of use, lack of hassle. This unit had everything on my checklist: HD Radio, iPod/iPhone connectivity, front USB and the ability to match the display colors to my Honda's interior. I shopped EXTENSIVELY before deciding on this unit and I could not be happier. Like any gadget, I did have to read the manual to figure out the buttons and functions, but I did not need an inordinate amount of time to get things up and running to my satisfaction.

I must add: My whole buying experience for this unit, the JVC bluetooth adapter, the dash kit for my car and the installation through InstallNet were flawless. Best Buy wanted $100+ to do the installation. I was wary of purchasing my installation online through InstallNet but it could not have been smoother. The local vendor did the job for the $59.99 price I paid, no suprise "extra" charges. I highly recommend it to anyone considering doing the same.
on May 15, 2010
This stereo is pretty cool. Very good EQ choices. Tons of colors to choose from. The ipod connectivity is a little slow, and switching from head unit to ipod mode could be faster. Easy install. The HD radio is awesome. Plenty of stations to choose from. There are no preset buttons but presets are easy to use. Comes with a cute little remote, as my girlfriend stats. My whole family uses it, so the user interface it easy. Over all this is a great stereo, good for its price. I would totally recommend.
on April 11, 2011
I was looking for car radio to replace the aging yet fully functional stock radio in my car. One of the major reasons was to connect my iPhone to the radio directly. When I saw this radio and the ratings I was pleasantly surprised at all the featured packed in for a relatively low price.

Pros:
1. USB jack for iPhone works perfectly, and gives you reasonable control of the iPhone.
2. AUX jack allows you to connect anything with a headphone jack to the radio.
3. HD Radio was a plus, very few radios in this price range have this.
4. Noticeably better sound quality from this radio versus the stock radio in my 2002 Honda Civic.
5. It can be expanded with Satellite Radio and Bluetooth. You can always add the Bluetooth and the Satellite radio adapter later on. This is a great option for easy hands free calling built into fancier cars.

Cons:
1. NO PRESET KEYS! OK, this made me hate the radio a little bit. But I got used to using the wheel very quickly and I kinda dig it now. The controls on the radio are definitely minimalistic. Personally I think that this hinders ease of use.
2. The LED display is great at night, but in the daytime especially in the sun, it's hard to see what is on the screen. And the viewing angle of the LED technology is pretty poor, so at certain angles you don't see anything on the screen.

Conclusion:
I am glad I bought the radio. Even with it's quirks it's pretty outstanding. I would definitely recommend it!
on December 12, 2010
Great price. Fast delivery.

GOOD: HD Radio, GREAT! Sound quality, GREAT! 7-band EQ, Great.

BAD: iPhone 3GS, doesn't work at all!! iPod, doesn't work at ALL! USB->"Reading" then "Cannot Play" ugh... JVC tech support said maybe it was an Apple thing, and I should reset my iPhone. Tried an older iPod, same result. Both models are listed as supported in the manual, and the box says "Works with iPhone, Made for iPod" Huh?!

Lights not dim with my Subaru dash, like the OEM. Hooked up orange-orange dimmer control...

Also, the description on Amazon says there are two USB ports, but that's on model KD-R810, a different unit!

Potentially a great buy, but one of my criteria was the iPhone and iPod. If I can get it to work, it'll get 5 stars, except that it did not work righ our of the box.

UPDATE:I reset the JVC Head Unit, and now it recognizes the iPhone, but not the iPod. And it will play the first few seconds of the last-played iPhone song, then stop. I can get to the list/menu with the JVC for a quick moment, but nothing after it locks up.

Reset loses all the radio presets and EQ.

UPDATE: I cleaned all the connectors, and started the iPhone playing before I turned on the JVC deck. When I turned on the deck it recognized and kept playing. Now it works fine all the time. As advertised.
on April 29, 2011
Got this today from amazon and immediately installed it in my 96 toyota camry to replace an aging Alpine 2-din radio receiver unit. Wiring was a breeze using a Scosche TA02B Toyota wire harness(SCOSCHE TA02B Wiring Harness for 1987 and up Toyota) - just connect the wires of both the Scosche harness and the JVC supplied harness according to colors. Also installed a Scosche TA2154B pocket kit (Scosche TA2154B Replacement Pocket Kit for 1978-Up Toyota) bought likewise from amazon to fill the open space below the radio. The radio and replacement pocket fit perfectly in my dash using the stock brackets.

The radio unit sounds great and the stereo separation is very good. The HD FM is CD clear and the changeable color display is super cool. It took me some time though to get used to the wheel selector but after a few tries it was fairly easy to operate. No regrets with this purchase. Highly recommended for those wishing to upgrade to a simple single-din HU w/ HD radio,CD/MP3/USB/IpoD,iTunes tagging,Aux input and Front/Subwoofer pre-outs.
on December 28, 2010
I'm completely in love with this stereo. The interface is pretty simple to learn if you just spend a few minutes with the manual, and I'm amazed at all the functionality you get for so little money. As some have noted, the display is a little slow to read data from an iPod when playing in head mode vs. iPod mode, but that's really the only complaint, and it's a minor one. I use the unit with my iPhone, and the convenience of charging while playing music, all through USB, more than justifies the price, and all the other features (HD radio, etc.) are just icing on the cake to me. In future versions, I'd like to see the ability to play sound from other iPhone apps (voice memos, etc.) through the USB interface, but that's a minor tweak as well.

Also, I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I like this so much, but the various color options are pretty fun, and I find myself changing them by the week.
on November 24, 2010
I can't believe I almost didn't buy HD. If you live near a metro area with HD stations definitely get an HD unit! The standard broadcasts sound as good as any radio but the HD is in another league. I like being able to program the display and buttons to change colors and dim automatically at night. I have sensitive eyes and some radio's are too bright at night so this feature gave this radio the edge over the Sony's and Kenwoods. I have heard them all and after 3 weeks of use I am impressed with this JVC. My wife is not an audiophile but immediately commented on the difference in sound quality of HD. Going to get one for her car now. I definitely recommend this JVC.
on May 5, 2011
My car stereo recently broke and I needed a replacement, after finding this one at Walmart (where it was out of stock) I purchased it on Amazon for a little bit cheaper. It will play and charge an iPod through the USB port (I've been finding a lot of stuff won't work for the iTouch), the color changing options are awesome and the little remote is quite convenient. It sounds good too. Overall, Great stereo for the price.
on December 3, 2010
I have had this stereo for a few weeks now and love it. I was a little concerned after all the reviews that complain about no preset buttons. It doesn't need any as its pretty easy to use without them. The automatic preset scan doesn't work very well and misses a lot of stations so I entered them manually. You just need to use the forward/reverse buttons to scan the stations, then push the volume knob to enter the preset mode. Turn the knob to the preset you want that station on, then push the knob again and its programed. It took me maybe 5 minutes to set all the stations. Once they are set you just use the up/down buttons to scan through the presets. No need to go into any menus. One feature I didn't really care about that I ended up liking was the ability to change button and display colors separately to any color you want. I was able to perfectly match the colors of the reverse el-glow gauges I have installed. The ability to have the colors automatically change when you turn the lights on is also really cool. The sound from HD stereo is much better then analog. USB works great and even remembers where it left off if you take the thumb drive out.

For the money this is a great buy. Much cheaper then similar units from other brands without really giving up anything. It cost the same as the bottom of the line JVC cd stereo I bought several years ago that this one replaced.
on March 12, 2011
I purchased this head unit along with a Metra harness.

Pros:
1. Price for me was great (<$100) considering its long features list.
2. Installation was a snap in my Civic.
3. Over 25 display colors are fun to play with.
4. It recognized my iPhone in less than 5 seconds, despite using a non oem cable.

Neutral:
1. Using the knob for presets instead of buttons takes a bit of getting used to.
2. Remote control has decent features. I don't understand the people that rip on the remote being too basic. What do you want, a Logitech remote? You're in a freakin car!

Cons:
1. One major design flaw I thought was the placement of the multifunction knob. This is why I knocked off one star. I have trouble seeing the display while turning the knob trying to find my presets. And it's not like I have big ham hocks for hands either. If the knob was closer to the left edge or placed on the right side of the head unit, it would be easier to visualize I think. But the remote has buttons to scroll through the presets so I guess its not that big a deal.

Overall, I am pleased with my purchase.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question