JVC NXPN7 Portable Audio System with Dual iPod Dock (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
- Dual Dock Design for iPod / iPhone compatible
- AM/FM Tuner
- Dual Alarm
- Multi-Color Illumination
- iPod Video Output
Portable Audio System with Dual iPod Dock
Top Customer Reviews
However here are two critical flaws that no one else has mentioned.
1. There is no "Snooze" function! What kind of clock radio has no snooze????
2. Even worse, to use the wake up timer, you have to and I quote the users manual, " Turn off the unit (on standby)". On Standby the unit displays nothing but a blueish glow, THE TIME DOESN'T DISPLAY and can't display if you have a wake up time set. What???????
So just to make sure that you understand, when setting a wake up timer, (which this unit has 3 of) you cannot have the ability to display the time and have a wake up setting active. So rolling over in the middle of the night to glance at the time is not an option with this thing. How lame!!
Other than these 2 (in my opinion) huge functional missteps, this would be the perfect dual ipod AM/FM clock radio.
The JVC Dual Dock is a fairly compact unit, and the overall quality is fine. Not what I'd expect at this price, but no different than most clock radios. The glossy finish does come off as a bit cheap actually, but overall the unit is handsome. The buttons are clearly labeled and simple to operate, which is nice for those features that can be accessed with the buttons on the unit (more about that later). I'm irked that one of the few buttons on the unit is dedicated to the rather silly and pointless color LED function, but I can't weight that too heavily in the review. The one real downside of the design of the JVC Dual Dock is the power brick; it is absolutely huge. Bigger than I've seen for almost any electronic device ever. Maybe that won't matter for some folks, but in my case I put the unit on my bookshelf and am not able to put the power brick on the floor because I have to run the cable through the back of the bookcase. The power cords do not detach from the unit, so that means I have to have the power brick hidden behind the unit on the bookshelf. Though not removable, the power cord is plenty long from both plug to brick and brick to unit, so hiding the brick somewhere shouldn't be too much trouble for most.
The sound quality is adequate. I would compare the sound quality to a $20-$30 set of computer speakers.Read more ›
I bought this for the purpose of having a nice alarm clock and charging station for my iphone and ipod touch. It does that. I'm an engineer... I have several complaints. JVC designers didn't do a very good job on several area's, although the overall look, sound, and dual nature is fantastic.
1) Bright display is too bright at night. Wrong color too. It should be red... you can turn off the display (ECO mode) sort of, but then, the ipod charging quits too... so you wake up with ipods not charged. That sucks. There is not a good reason why the display couldn't be fixed. I know, because I've done it myself in commercial products which I've designed.
2) The remote was obviously created by a retarded chimp throwing darts at a chalkboard. The locations of the buttons make no sense whatsoever (ZIPPO!), and there is an ipod looking silkscreen on the front of the membrane of the remote, made to simulate and look like an ipod, but it doesn't behave at all like an ipod. The folks at JVC messed this up greatly; next time JVC, you can hire my cat... she can do better than your dart-tossing monkey. Great main unit JVC, so why did you stop when it came to the remote?
3) I have yet to find a use for the colored lights. It would be cool if they would work like the color organ lights of the 60's and 70's...throbbing in sync to magical mystery tour music, but they don't. They just sort of sit there... doing nothing. They're useless. I would make them pulsate to the music... make the remote double as a bong, and you'd really have something.
4) The time clock, and the AM radio... hard to tell the AM radio from the clock display, because they both have "AM" in them. Again, dumb dumb dumb.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Good product and I've never had a problem with it. The only thing is I have an IPhone 5 now and so I've had to stop using it.Published on July 19, 2014 by Roberto Chavez
I bought this because the price wasca steal and it had video out. Little did I know I am yet to find technician at any electronic store that can find the cord for it. Read morePublished on June 12, 2012 by kevin margison
We had this unit for about two years now, and I am happy to say that it still works great. My wife uses it i her SPA studio daily and it works great. Read morePublished on July 16, 2010 by Da Vinchi
I recieved this as a gift and was very excited. Unfortunately I can't use this for the purpose of an alarm clock and I'll have to hock in on Craigslist. My complaints:
1. Read more
This product still shows the message saying that is not made for the iphone, but it does everything, charge, play, alarm, lights, I have no noise at all in any call so the filter... Read morePublished on May 30, 2009 by George A. Van Helfteren
You can't beat the features for the price. Great sound for something so small, dual docks capable of receiving two iPhones simultaneously, three alarm settings, good looking... Read morePublished on May 19, 2009 by Sean Hicks
I am very pleased with the JVC Radio / iPod / Charger. The only issue is that the time does not reappear when the radio is on, only the station. Read morePublished on April 21, 2009 by Walter E. Lisowski
I live in a small space and I wanted something I could take from my bedroom to my kitchen easily. I bought this unit so I could play my iPod Touch through speakers and to watch... Read morePublished on April 20, 2009 by C. Wood