Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 534 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 769 reviews
on September 13, 2012
I just got my Jabra Solemate today. It easily paired with both my Droid and my MacBook. This thing is loud. I was playing some Submotion Orchestra and then a bit of Black Sun Empire. I streamed Pandora to it from my phone while sitting outside and even felt I had to turn it down a bit at times. The bluetooth range is actually much better than my Belkin A50 home bluetooth receiver.

The size is perfect and the build quality is excellent. It feels solid and substantial and has a nice heft to it. The fit, finish, and build materials evoke a sense of quality. It looks, feels, and performs like a high-end device. In terms of the sound - the bass is very satisfying for a speaker of this size. The audio is rich and the drums really hit.

In terms of the Bluetooth connection, streaming from the Droid produces a much louder response than when streaming from my MacBook - not sure why. Anyways, it's a piece of cake to pair, and the connection is solid, consistent, and without static. Also, there is no 'hum' or hiss, which were complaints noted by reviewers with some of the other devices I looked at.

The three speakers are front mounted, and the sound is therefore quite directional - pointing the off-axis leads to a lot of drop off in sound. It's a minor issue. The price point is about right considering how much bang (or should I say 'boom') you get for the buck.

This also functions as a very nice hands-free unit. While streaming music from my phone, my wife called me. I simply pushed the button on the top and we were instantly connected. The clarity was excellent.

I did a lot of research online, read through a lot of reviews. The Jawbone Big Jambox was high on my list, but $100 more expensive! Bose was completely out of my price range for a device such as this. I also was not interested in paying less for something only to be dissappointed by the sound quality. I looked around at Satechi and Monster HD, but what sold me on the Solemate was the combination of design, features, and price. I am very satisfied with this speaker - and I'm someone who is very finicky about music and sound quality.

I highly recommend this little speaker to anyone looking for a great-sounding portable speaker. The build and sound quality are excellent, and it is worth the money.
66 comments| 257 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2015
As soon as the 1 year warranty was up, this product started failing. It will randomly blurt out "Solemate is connected" at top volume. This happens in the middle of the night and at all hours of the day. After contacting tech support, they told me to reset it to factory settings, which is what I did. It did not help at all and they were not willing to replace it. The only solution is to turn off bluetooth on all devices that you have paired with it. This is obviously not a solution and the only thing tech support will do after 1 year is suggest to reset the unit. They are also not available via phone on Saturdays. I have another family member who is running into other issues with the same product and tech support basically told them they are out of luck. They are less than helpful and this is the last Jabra product I will ever buy. You are better off buying a JBL or any other product. Once Jabra has your $129, they will not help.
on August 30, 2015
Great speakers for the price and the quality!!! I bought this as a gift for someone who really appreciates some good hard BASS. I did some research online on portable/bluetooth/wireless speakers, comparing different reviews and ratings online, and in the end it came down to three speakers rated for great bass/sub performance. Of the three (one of them was the SONY SRS-X5), I decided to go with the Jabra. I based this decision on three things, price, durability, and aesthetics. The Jabra SOLEMATE is a bit under $100 including shipping for Amazon Prime members, unlike its other competitor speakers with quality sub performance. Furthermore, the thick soles of the speaker really caught my attention. Most electronic products on the market usually have some form of weak little rubber glued on each corner at the bottom. However, the Jabra SOLEMATE has this cool looking sole great for absorbing any impact for setting the speakers down. Did I mention that it looks awesome? Oh yes, and back to the Original decision factor, the bass. Oh wow the bass. The quality of sound that comes out of this little thing is still mind blowing. The volume, clarity, and BASS!!!! just all around WOWmazing!!! After testing them out and using it for a little under a week, I am already looking into buying another one for myself.
on December 27, 2012
I practically live out of a suitcase so I need a speaker system that is portable, reasonably priced, and has good sound quality. The first two aren't hard to find, but sound quality has been a sorely missed feature until now! I went to a couple box stores that had systems on display and took my Samsung Captivate cell phone with the Rhapsody app and my choice of tunes (along with a cord to mate them) and tried several systems. I was unimpressed until I tried the Solemate! Once I listened to it I was HOOKED!!!

The Jabra Solemate is odd looking with it's serrated rubber sole but the rubber helps isolate the speaker to prevent vibration and keep it in it's place and stores the cord for devices without bluetooth. It has voice prompt to walk you through linking to your bluetooth enabled devices or for a battery check. And it comes with a weather protective bag to keep your Solemate in, as well as all the cords & chargers you would expect.

As for the sound, well maybe I've just listened to too many crappy speakers. This one brought a tear to my eye. To be able to hear the highs with clarity as well as the mid-range is expected from a medium price range speaker but what blew me away was the crystal clear , sharp bass from that little two inch woofer in the middle. Oh man I have missed that!

I listen to a lot of accoustic music, and sometimes of a night I'll let Pandora pick music for me. Well not so much. The iPad I've been using has one speaker and it does about what you would expect from the audiophilles at Apple... not much! When I hooked my new Solemate to the iPad I was assstounded at the difference. The depth! The clarity! Crystal clear sound from the whole spectrum. Makes me want to dance. Well, bounce a little maybe. You know what I mean; "Oh God, I'm back into it again"!!!

Don't buy this if you are trying to fill a room with sound, that is just unreasonable to expect that kind of performance from a speaker system you can carry in a briefcase. On the other hand for a personal sound system for some one who loves music, to sit in a motel room and listen to your favorite musicians, man I'm on cloud nine!!!
on July 2, 2016
99% what I was looking for & Wanted!

Sounds like I want - GREAT sound, Excellent Highs Mids, Bass & Tone (to my ears)-----
I am not going to get to get into lots of details about the sound quality becuz it's always subjective depending on the person. Overall it sounds fairly flat to my ears which is a VERY good thing as far as I'm concerned. You can always tweek an EQ setting to fine tune it (and any other bluetooth speaker) to the desired sound/tone depending on the build quality & size...I will say with an EQ set too "off" it has crisp highs that aren't to bright , solid punchy mid range & is bassy but NOT so much so that it takes from the music by muddying out the mids & highs.

It gets More than loud enough for a small to mid size room. Even for a large room it gets loud enough to fill it with sound however it isn't powerful enough for full sound in a large room (I am speaking mostly about the bass, the highs & mids are adequate .

Quality Built like I wanted - ( SOLID Build quality you can FEEL & Looks NICE )

Size I wanted - not to big, not to small, not to heavy, not to light

Most of the Features I wanted (power switch {not a button} voice prompts, sturdy fabric carry ring, easy pairing, simple buttons, battery level indicator, aux jack & on board cable, LARGE silicone foot to keep from slipping/jumping)

The Only SUBJECTIVE con I have is it's NOT water resistant but they did include a water resistant pouch
on March 27, 2015
I liked the SOLEMATE quite a bit. The rugged form factor, grippy bottom and clear sound output. I've been keeping my eyes open for an upgrade from the speaker I've been using for three or four years now, the Big Blue LIve (small version.) I didn't really need an upgrade, but being the gadget geek that I am, I wanted one. I did side by side comparisons of the two speakers and I kept drawing the same conclusion. The SOLEMATE just didn't have quite as much bass as the BBL. I like just about everything about the SOLEMATE except that it wasn't really an upgrade over my beloved Big Blue LIve. Yes, the BBL dances around on the table a little bit when it is turned up and there is some heavy bass in the song while the SOLEMATE does not. That is really the only reservation I have with the BBL. The SOLEMATE was probably just a little bit louder, and the highs were probably just a little bit clearer, but I kept coming back to the fact that I still think the BBL has a little warmer, slightly better bass output than the SOLEMATE. I thought very hard about keeping the SOLEMATE, and if I didn't have a tried and true speaker sitting next to it to compare it to, I probably would have. So I returned it. I almost felt guilty doing it because there is not really anything wrong with it, I just feel I don't want to spend $75 on what amounts to a lateral move. So my search continues. Don't hesitate to buy it if you're looking for a good speaker, though I can't attest to longevity or how it performs under various conditions because I didn't try it out long enough for that.
on October 30, 2013
I'm a portable speaker junkie and have tried probably 15 different brands at this point. The Jabra comes in second only to the Bose Mini Soundlink in sound quality. Considering the magic Bose uses to get their incredible result, that's not to shabby. Jabra uses 3 speakers in the front - 2 smaller wide range drivers and a larger "woofer" as well as a passive radiator on the back side. The audio has a good clarity and range. It even has surprising bass for a speaker this size. It is obvious someone at Jabra took the time to correctly design a passive radiator enclosure.

--The Good--
Overall build quality was great. I'm not a huge fan of the design though. I get the show pun, but come on Jabra. The rubber base seems durable and very stable on flat surfaces. It is not incredibly grippy though. Other similar speakers I have tried use a silicone foot that resists sliding better - though these also wear easily. The unit weighs more than others which I prefer. Feels solid. The loop on its side has not held up well though. I'd like to see a plastic or metal loop with a better lanyard or perhaps a carabiner. There is also a decent length AUX cord hidden in a grove on the bottom of the unit. Nice touch Jabra!

I really like the top buttons. They are clearly marked and have a click you an feel when operating them. Other speakers such as the Braven or Bose have buttons hidden behind a rubber top which make it difficult to tell if you are actually depressing them. Inputs are on the side and easy to access. But Jabra chose to follow other manufacturers and use a small slider for the power on/bluetooth control. It's slightly recessed and hard to get a finger on. I wish they had power on top of the unit with a big indicator light so you know you are powered on and connected. Nothing is more fun than thinking you are about to play a song on your cool new bluetooth speaker only to realize it is powered off and the sound comes blaring out of your crappy phone speaker.

--The Bad--
My only real complaint aside from the shoe metaphor is the audio prompts. When you put the speaker in bluetooth pairing mode it plays a message to you - rather loudly - read by a guy who is way too cool for himself - with hip background music... The first time I tried to use the speaker I was at my office and totally unprepared for what would happen. I got comments the rest of the day from coworkers. Ok, I thought, it was guiding me through the first pairing. Nope, every time you pair a device (which I have to do every week or so for some reason) it plays the same dumb message.Did I mention it also plays a hip sound when you power the unit on... super awesome.

--Overall--
I really like this product. Jabra is known for their build quality and solid industrial design. The Solemate does not disappoint. I think it is one of the best portable speakers in the $100-$150 price point. In the end I chose to get rid of my Solemate though. The interface sounds were just too gimmicky. I spent a few more bucks for the Bose Mini Soundlink.
on July 22, 2013
I purchased this item after much research, and made the right decision! I have significant hearing loss in both ears, and even with some high tech hearing aids, still had great difficulty with the clarity of sound and words while listening to music. I am a music lover. Since using the Soulmate, I can now enjoy one of my favorite things in life, enjoying listening to music as it should be.
This device is quality built, connects to almost any audio devise on the planet, has exceptional sound quality, and great battery life. Soulmate is easy to pair and connect to Bluetooth devices. I also use Soulmate with my smartphone and tablet all the time. The price fit my budget, compared to other high end products on the market that may offer similar features with a higher price tag.
Thanks Jabra for a great product. I would definitely recommend Soulmate to anyone considering a Bluetooth speaker system.
on July 30, 2013
My Logitech UE mobile boombox was U$ 99 and I get this one for U$ 129 in a promo .

- Size
Well . The Jabra looks like a shoe and weigh like one too ! The UE is so much light and easy to carry . You can put it on almost any bag . But I am not saying you cant take the speaker brick with you .

- Design . The UE is minimalist . Very nice design . The Jabra is a ...you know...its a brick , a shoe . But with very clever add-ons . The first is the lanyard in the side . Make it easy to carry . The second is the rubber grip on the back , that thing wont dance in your table . The grid pattern protecting the speaker is beautiful on the Jabra . The UE does provide a good grip 'cos its encased in rubber and I so far no dances on the my computer table or wood table like the Jabra .

- Sound. Make no mistake here. The Jabra sound is superior. Period. But it should have superior sound anyway. Its bigger and pricier than the UE ! You have 3 drivers here and a sub , kinda of . Anyway , I must say it doesnt have a much louder sound . Its louder yes , but not that much I was expecting. The bass is there however . Thats a compromise you take when you buy the UE . So Jabra is the only choice if you need bass . It provides a lot more bass and you can feel the air flowing out , literally .
What I need to say is that somehow I think some podcasts sounds better on the UE . The voice is cleaner . Maybe because the Jabra has the bass power which is not useful all the times . A tweak in your equalizer should fix that .

- Extra features.
The Jabra speaks with you ! There's a bluetooth guy inside it ! "Solemate is connected" . Its nice, not present in the UE , but you can live without it . The Jabra speakerphone works great but the mic is in the side . The mic in UE is on the top. The Jabra comes with a bag so you can use it on the beach or in a steamy bathroom ...no worries with sand and water drops ...its a really nice plus !

Ok . Lets finish this . If you are searching for a portable bluetooth I think you should consider 3 things :
- Sound
- Price
- Portability

When you compare the U$ 99 UE with the U$ 129 Jabra Solemate I think the Jabra is a better deal . its 30% more money but you gain better bass, more battery time, a 3.5 mm short cable and a nice bag . But its heavier and so much bulkier . Without any tweaks the voice from podcasts in UE sounds better . I dont know how much space do you have in your desk or everywhere . I have both speakers and I dont regreat buying any of them .
What I have to say is that if I had to buy only one would be the Solemate for the extra bass .

A last word . I CANT assure how long the batteries will last before it could not retain any power anymore . I hope the batteries could stand for humm....maybe ... 3, 4 years ?

a hug from Rio , Brazil
sorry for the English ...
on December 1, 2016
I've taken this sucker all around the world to various beaches, parties, etc, and it's never failed me. It's been over 3 years now and it still holds a charge, sounds amazing, etc. The biggest plus? That little AUX cord under the bottom - I've used it when I've needed an AUX cord for car rentals, plugging into other systems, etc.

The sandbag is great, as I brought this to the beach every weekend for most of the year. Pairs up quickly, can play loud, lots of bass, etc.

Sadly, I got sunscreen on the front and it did rust a bit on the metal grill as I couldn't wash all of it off, but it's only a minor cosmetic issue. It'll be a sad day when I finally lose or break this speaker as I've had so many good memories with it, but it's been through hell and back so far!