Oil month Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on August 18, 2003
Yeah, I know I'm behind the times, and yeah, I haven't seen a 'real' surf movie in a while (Blue Crush doesn't count) but I just had to write this review for this outstanding Jack Johnson flick. Everyone knows the Johnson story so I won't repeat the unnecessary.
This movie was absolutely amazing and perhaps the best surf movie I've ever seen. The soundtrack is mix of laid back soulful grooves, the surfing is flawless, the dialogue is true, and [most importantly] the cinematography is sublime. Slater's surfing is in another dimension and the contortionistic curves that he pulls off are unbelievable. Several of his tube rides were perhaps some of the longest I've seen. I loved how he was trying so many different stances and methods to surfing the waves - he had the place completely wired and is toying with these Mentawai Island waves at several points during the movie. When Slater is an old man people will look back at this video for proof that he was the best surfer in the modern era and realize how much his surfing alone progressed the entire sport. Rob Machado's graceful and fluid lines, and honest comments about life on the ASP (Association of Surfing Professionals) Pro Tour made me view him in a completely different light. I have a newfound respect for this guy. And then there is Luke Egan and the comment about him surfing with 90s style back in the 80s was dead-on; the guy was so ahead of his time when he first came on the International scene.
I only wish the movie was a little longer than 28 minutes but the bonus coverage kinda made up for it. This is a must have for any surfer. Dialogue commentary from Jack Johnson and Kelly Slater are a nice plus as well as 'The Making of September Sessions'. I liked the movie so much that I picked up the soundtrack as well. Feel the stoke and pick it up today.
on July 17, 2008
I recently bought 10 surfing videos to get through my 8 months in Iowa before I can go back to Mazatlan. I think I did well on some of them in no small part to Surfer Magazine's list and Amazon reviews. My favorites are September Sessions and Thicker Than Water; a tossup, really. Buy them both and save the shipping. I've about decided that any film involving Jack Johnson and/or the Malloys is a no-brainer; get it. What you have is some of the best surfers in the world on a Menatwais boat trip, free from the pressures of contests, getting some of the best waves in the world and YOU, are invited along. These are guys who seem to get along well having a whole lot of fun. Brad Gerlach is a stitch - just non-stop funny and yeah, he surf for good brah. You can see a younger version of Kelly Slater and Shane Dorian with hair, Slater spitting some water out at the camera looking like a young Marlon Brandon and, of course, surfing insanely well; Dorian snapping his backside hacks with a robot-like precision; Rob Machado just so fluid and stylish, seemingly able to turn on the afterburner whenever he wants some more speed. But, hey, I'm not trying to critique the surfers it's just that you can't help but get into it. A massive plus for me is the extremely well-chosen music. I've become a fan of Jack Johnson's music as well as his cinematography. He's difficult to categorize but I think of what Michael Franks might have done if he'd been surfing in Hawai'i instead of chilling out in Rio back in the day. Another thing I like is the bonus commentary from Kelly, Jack, Brad, and Rob. I could watch this for days. As an added feel-good, the filmmakers are donating all proceeds from the sale of the film to SurfAid, a truly worthwhile organization helping the residents of Sumatra and the Mentawais with medical aid.
on April 2, 2017
glad to have a fresh copy. a good friend gave me my first copy as a gift. i lent it out many times, and eventually, passed it along to a family with kids. i like the minimal commentary and artistic editing of film/music. its short too! 20mins or so..plus extras.
on November 2, 2016
One of my favorite surf movies - Jack Johnson needs to film more.
on October 14, 2010
The September Sessions by Jack Johnson is the best surf video I have ever come by. Its so relaxing and showcases some of the best surfers in the world just enjoying themselves. I would recommend everyone in the world watching this at least once a week for stress relief. Only sad thing is, its too short. Clocking in under an hour for the main edit is a bummer. But, the extras help extend that a lot. Overall, amazing product. Its a shame there arnt more like this one. Jack needs to get back into doing surf videos.
on June 2, 2015
Great music and surfing the way surfing should be.
on March 10, 2014
I gave it as a gift to two surfers I know and they both loved it. Thanks again, definitely a classic video
on March 19, 2013
This video had nice music tracks that accompanied the surfing well. It was different from many of the videos I've seen on Surfing and I would definitely recommend it.
on September 11, 2014
One of the best
on July 24, 2003
As an (ex-)surfer who has been landlocked for the past 12 years I look for my beach fix anywhere I can get it. This movie is sweet, the waves are PERFECT, and the music is not bad. It is what it says it is - SURFING - no story, no plot, just pure, clean fun. The movie is short (about 30 minutes), but also has additional "rights" and "lefts" footage in the bonus materials. I work long hours and I'm usually asleep before I can finish a long movie. This is just long enough to take my mind off the day and still have a few minutes to see my wife before I pass out. Highly recommended.