Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Dream With Me forum

Jacob Evancho

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 9, 2012, 2:34:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2012, 2:37:19 PM PDT
Guy McNally says:
I've read a few mixed comments on various fora regarding the quality and appropriateness of Jacob Evancho's singing in the "I See the Light" duet (Songs From the Silver Screen). One notion is that his voice isn't nearly as polished, so pales in comparison to his sister's. Another is that he sounds immature.

My opinion: his voice is technically flawless for what it is; the natural voice of a young male singer with limited training and experience (by the way, this assumes that he has received some training, and does have some experience). He sang completely within his abilities, i.e., he kept it simple.

His voice shows much promise. His strength lies in his forward placement, which is casually referred to as "singing through the face." Good singers achieve resonance by opening up their voice beyond just their throat and nasal cavity. It's easier to feel this while singing than to explain, and it's easier to hear as well. Think of the difference between a nasally singer like, say, Tom Petty (who I like, by the way) and any trained tenor, or even a crooner like Frank Sinatra. Jacob's singing falls between these relative extremes, naturally, but with further training, I think he will be able to improve both the timbre and power behind his singing.

As for his match-up with his sister. Bravo. He was not afraid to stick to basics and let his own voice serve as accompaniment, and she used every bit of her talent, not to outshine her brother, but to help create a dynamic composition. Knowing that their history together includes singing duets, and that by all accounts, they care deeply for one another (side note: geeze, I wish I had grown up in that family), there is a touching element to the performance. But even if I knew nothing about them before hearing the duet for the first time, it would not sound mismatched in my opinion. It was nowhere near as polished and dramatic as her song with The Tenors, but it was nevertheless lovely on its own merits.

Anyway, I didn't see a thread giving this guy some strokes. Feel free to offer your thoughts, and I welcome intelligent criticism. Contrary to what so many emotionally involved fans seem to insist, young performers like Jackie Evancho aren't immune to criticism. We don't need to knock young artists down for no reason, but we don't need to censor constructive criticism either.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012, 11:13:15 AM PDT
You are right in everything you said, Guy, but I have unchecked the Jackie/Jake "duet" in iTunes on my computer. What you didn't say is important too, and that is if the male were anyone other than her brother, he wouldn't be singing with her on a CD sold to the public. The juxtaposition reminded me of some YouTubes I have seen of Pavarotti singing pop songs with pop artists. His operatic voice sounded just as out of place and inappropriate in those duets as Jake's 'raw' voice did with Jackie, and the only way Pavarotti was able to make the recording was because he was Pavarotti.

I am a long time (pre-AGT) fan of Jackie's, having stumbled upon her YouTubes early on, but do not worship the ground she walks on. I buy her albums (starting with PTAD) and listen to her with great admiration, but only for the beautiful sound and to witness the maturing of her voice into a delicious mezzo. I used to read and even contribute to some of the Facebook fan sites, but the obsessive nature of many of the contributors has driven me to avoid them. I have my own family and my own friends to care about. I really don't care about the particulars of her home life, although I am glad to know it is a happy one, and I am hoping she doesn't become a train wreck like so many other young entertainers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012, 9:27:09 PM PST
Daniel Lopez says:
Guy, I must agree on practically every point you make here. But IMHO, Jacob has (hands down) one of the best male voices I have ever heard. Granted, he could certainly benefit from training, but then who of us could not, unless you're tone deaf. I sing myself and I am a long-time musician, as well as a linguist, which requires important listening skills in itself. I have listened to Jacob closely and critically, and find his voice and delivery to be far beyond average, especially for a teenager. If he would leave his naturally shy inclination aside and go for it, I think he could go far with his natural talent. I, for one, would encourage Jacob to do more singing and who knows? The sky is the limit.

Posted on Feb 10, 2013, 4:35:11 PM PST
Wendy Poole says:
I love Jacob's voice. He and his sister blend together quite well. His voice may not be as "trained" as his sister's but there is a true purity to it that makes it beautiful. The ability of both of them to sing such flawless harmonies at their young ages is truly amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2014, 6:16:58 PM PDT
arosequartz says:
I agree. It's obvious that Jacob has had some training, even though he doesn't sound like his sister, I still think he sounds very polished and very mature for a teen. His voice is real nice.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dream With Me forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Oct 9, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 28, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

This discussion is about
Dream With Me
Dream With Me by Jackie Evancho (Audio CD - 2011)
4.8 out of 5 stars (885)