Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 17 reviews
on February 2, 2013
A good first attempt from this author but I am confused about the intended audience. There is plenty of action and kung-fu but too much romance for me (male). The violence and sex is too graphic for younger teens; the hot tub scene is, well, uh, extremely hot and steamy :)> The book is probably best suited for older female teens and women who like romance, action, and kung fu.

Pros: I think Reese did a great job with the characters. They are unique and interesting people. The storyline kept my attention. I was barely a chapter through the book and I found myself imaging how the story could be rewritten as a movie script and what actor and actress I would cast for each part.

Cons: The plot moves much too fast; too much action, travel, love, coincidence, jumping, spinning, and somersaulting crammed into the short time frame (it felt like only a few weeks?) to be believable. Too much mystical metaphysical nonsense spoiled the climatic final fight scenes.

I hope Reese continues Shan's story, slowing the pace, adding additional, realistic details of Kung-fu fighting, forms, and training, and limits Shan's romantic thoughts, although more hot graphic sex is fine.

Other thoughts: I purchased this from the Kindle store using my phone. The e-book version is missing content in some parts (I was still able to follow the story) and the font size changes several times - really needs a revised Kindle edition.
on August 24, 2011
Jade Tiger: by Jenn Reese
Price: $2.99 Amazon Kindle Store. (I paid for it!)

This novel is part Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon part Indiana Jones, with a splash of Harlequin romance mixed in. It's a Chinese mystic fantasy/thriller that takes you on a global adventure; with plenty of rock `em sock `em fighting action.

The Best Parts:
The story: Right out of the gate it grabbed me. (I like that much better than the slow build.) The more you read the more you want to know what happens next. A few chapters in, I was hooked.

The characters: They are very likeable! Shan, the Kung-Fu femme fatale was a good mix of badass and babe - her one detectable weakness is a main theme though out. Ian is an Indiana Jones-like archeologist, who proved to be a somewhat larger than life character himself. (He's certainly in the running for `the world's most sensitive man'; Mr. Perfect's only slipups were a little hard to believe though.) The Villains range from decent to very good; one was a little cartoon-ish, the another Bond-ish

Good/Not so good:
Descriptive Writing: Here's where I'm conflicted. The author is clearly a good writer. I envy how well she paints a vivid picture, but she uses a lot of ultra flowery language - too much so for me. She has an admirable command of words but at times it was a little overboard. I'm a minimalist. Her occasional wordiness required me to fight, not to lose focus. I appreciate a good wordsmith, which she is, but this type of page-turner needs to be light on dictionary words. Now, that's just my tastes. A lot of people will appreciate it, I'm sure. I'll give her this, I looked up anything potentially questionable and she was spot-on with her usage - so there wasn't any chicanery going on! (What? Did I just do that? I'm such a hypocrite!) Seriously, the writing was good, just a little too over the top for me at times.

Dialogue: Most of the time the characters said the things you would expect them to say - not predictable, just true to their nature. In the entire book, there was only one or two times when I just didn't buy the words coming out of their mouths - mostly the `Harlequin moments'. The banter between the characters was sometimes witty, occasionally just ok, and often very good. One great laugh out loud moment was just perfect - a classic thing that two archeologist would say and do in a moment of crisis. (Kudos for that!)

Action: A whole lotta ass kicking going on! Be prepared for epic fights - very few first-round knockouts! It's like when Indiana Jones had to punch the guy a thousand times for him to go down and stay down. As a recreational boxer, I found that to be pure fantasy.
Narrator: Generally OK, but at times the narrator and the main character, Shan, seemed to have the exact same point of view on life and the moment. It felt like the stuff the narrator said could've and maybe should've come from Shan's mouth or mind - just a thought.

Overall I thought this book was pretty good and the story was excellent. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes any of the three main themes - martial arts, adventure, and romance. I'll keep an eye out for Shan-Fu II

I give it 7.4 out of 10 on my ratings scale - located and explained at JohnnyPromo.com
on September 26, 2013
Jenn Reese has become a much greater author than this first effort portrays. I encourage everyone to check out her other books. She really is a master story teller!
on December 1, 2006
If you're looking for a fun read, you found it. Jade Tiger has a kickass kung fu heroine, geeky Star Wars jokes, a chin kissing scene that will melt the Hershey's chocolate kiss that is your heart, a Shan versus tiger fight, great action scenes and...

Did I mention the sexy archaeologist?

I've read the book twice and loved it both times. Very highly recommended!!
on November 28, 2006
I absolutely loved the balance of strength and vulnerability in Shan, the main character. The brilliantly described fight scenes showed both the skill of Shan and the author. Shan has obviously been emotionally isolated and her character gains emotional strength as her professor/sidekick teaches her that it's ok to love. Just as the stone representations of powerful kung fu energy are both beautiful and deadly, Jade Tiger has something for pretty much any guy or girl and as such a quick read, I'd recommend this be a book on everyone's shelf.
on June 30, 2013
Action packed book. Wish I didn't have to write a review every time I read a book through. Still great read