Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Russell Dickerson PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now HTL17_gno

Jaguar Sun
Format: Paperback|Change

on February 22, 2012
If your reading revolves around YA paranormal, then Martha is it's new sheriff. Her debut YA novel was in a word, fantastic! It really was a shift (no pun intended) from the normal YA paranormal and I'm thrilled that I had the good judgement in picking this book up.

Maya is your typical high school junior that lives in a world where shape-shifters are known, and for the most part, are excepted in society. But even so, she is not prepared when she finds out she is not only destined to be a shifter, but is THE shifter of all shifters.

We are taken into a brief history of Mayan belief and culture, as Maya and her friends discover that Maya is a part of the prophecy of the Mayan calendar. Ms. Bourke takes us on a journey from Arizona to Mexico, filled with fun, excitement, and definitely romance.

What I loved most about this book was the close relationship I had with Maya and her friends. Set in Arizona, it seems fitting that a majority of the characters are Hispanic. Being Hispanic myself, I felt a kinship with the characters. It's not often you see Hispanics play main central characters and for that, I applaud Ms. Bourke. Her imagination and writing style makes me almost believe that perhaps, deep down, I am part of that Mayan culture and will someday become a shifter.
on January 28, 2012
Jaguar Sun by Martha Bourke is a thrilling science fiction, cultural history lesson all rolled up in a fast-paced coming-of-age young adult adventure. It is a first person narrative in the perspective of a high school student named Maya Delaney who lives in New Mexico. She comes from a family descended from the ancient Mayans (who'd have guessed?), but she's just your average, everyday awkward teenager with boyfriend trouble, a few close friends and an addiction to Diet Coke.

Also she's a shape-shifter. She soon learns, at sixteen years of age, that she has the ability to "phase" into an animal form. Along with this ability, however, Maya has to prepare herself for a number of new experiences and responsibilities.

I was captivated immediately by Jaguar Sun. The characters were lovable (and more importantly, believable), and the story kept me hooked. Just when I thought I knew what was about to happen, a twist! The first person view gives the reader a unique insight into Maya's mind and the struggles she faces with her friends, the Mayan myths, and the dreaded Toltec.

I would recommend this story to anyone! (No, really, ANYone). It's geared toward the young adult genre, and any teen reader who likes adventure would love it, but its a story adults would enjoy too!

(Can I give it SIX stars?)
on January 31, 2017
The story was a fast-paced, fun fantasy for young adult readers. I was disappointed at the climax, probably because it took most of the book to reach, and then It felt rushed and confusing. I'm still uncertain if the end result was "goal accomplished" or if somehow they ended out off their mark. A little more clarity would have been appreciated.
on January 20, 2012
My daughter read this book and here's what she had to say:

I was immediately hooked by the way the book was written just like a teenager thinks; it was easy to relate to, being a teenager myself. As the book progressed, the plot line was natural and made sense (easy to follow). The characters were lovable, and I loved the interactions between Maya, Matt, Damian, and Lyssa. When the climax arrived, I couldn't put the book down as I raced to finish, to see how it would end and what would happen to the characters I had grown to love. The danger they faced was realistic enough to relate to, but the more fantasy-like parts were also enjoyable to read. When I finished reading, I was happy with the ending and can't wait for the next book.
on February 22, 2015
This was a very sweet coming of age book with a little paranormal thrown in. The character's are great and the plot awesome
I don't normally read YA books but this was fun..
on March 2, 2012
Maya is my kind of girl. She has the same insecurities of any teenager, but is not letting "geek status" change who she is inside. She has a smart mouth, but still respects her elders. She has a hot boyfriend, but still thinks she's an ugly duckling (and we all know how that story ends). All this and she has the world to save.
She is forced to grow up in a short period of time, but grandma and the twins are by her side no matter what. As with anyone in need, she puts her trust in someone who seems to be helping and finds out later it is the wrong kind of help. She has to go through physical and mental challenges that put most of us in the hospital. Yet in the end, she still is Maya, with a hint of Jaguar.
I cannot wait for her next adventure, to see what jungle the jaguar prowls through.
on April 16, 2012
The "adventure" of Maya and Matt was nothing quite like I was expecting! Be prepared as you may have the same experience. Exhilirating and interesting at every turn! I don't venture into fiction very often; but, I'm sure glad I did in this case. Martha Bourke, I tip my hat to your wonderful story-telling!
on May 21, 2015
This book was the perfect book for people who love animals and romance. I loved the book so much that I finished in a day. The one thing I did not like about this book was that it rushed in all of the events. Like in chapter 19 all of a sudden we were on the beach and the next thing I know we are at a museum. So like I said even though there are some of flaws that I don't like I still will give it 5 stars.
on July 2, 2016
I'm from New Mexico, so I was kind of hooked from the start. Added to that, I loved Mayan and Aztec history in school. The story flows very nicely and has enough detail so you can keep up but not get bogged down. I really look forward to the next one in the series.
on August 23, 2015
Maya is a head strong girl who . . .

Matt is a boy that loves her, even after. . .

when they get together things start falling apart. but when time and bit of bad luck shows up, . . .

will she and matt make it to the end of this or will they lose each other?

Enjoy!! :)